Captain
# 1 Star Trek history if today
09-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Realistically, where would you put Star Trek "history" on our real timeline, knowing what we have currently achieved and are expecting to achieve?

The Eugenics Wars were to have been fought in the late 1990s, with deep space travel and cryogenics as Khan's escape.

Currently, depending on who's talking, our first deep space probe just left the solar system. Our private sector space craft business is ramping up, but is possibly years from visiting the Moon or Mars.
Cryogenics, honestly, I've no idea. Certainly nothing that could sustain life for hundreds of years.
Eugenics, that might be viable, at least soon, since there's so much messing around with DNA nowadays. However, as I understand it, Khan and crew were grown from embryo. That could take decades. If, however, a delivery system could be developed for altering DNA in the currently living, say via a virus, you might be able to augment young adults.

My guess...30 years minimum for the Eugenic adults, but for deep space travel and cryogenics, I'd push the Eugenics Wars back 100 years to the late 2090's.

Would that push everything else back, however, or would certain events, like the Bell Riots, occur on schedule?
Career Officer
# 2
09-25-2013, 04:52 PM
We don't have Cryogenics? I think Walt Disney would disagree.(adjusts foil hat, and returns to bomb shelter).Well , technology wise, these Android,and I phones already blow tricorders, and communicators away.Back in the early 80's they predicted we would have been to Mars, and perfected Fusion technology, by this point in time.The first is possible, but limited by Government funding. The later is a pipe dream at this point.
Happy Holidays, STO Community, and Staff!

Last edited by cptjhunter; 09-25-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
09-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
Eugenics, that might be viable, at least soon, since there's so much messing around with DNA nowadays. However, as I understand it, Khan and crew were grown from embryo. That could take decades. If, however, a delivery system could be developed for altering DNA in the currently living, say via a virus, you might be able to augment young adults.
Genetic Engineering Eugenics is still nothing more then a pipe dream, as currently, there is still no complete understanding of the control mechanisms of gene expression.

(Though scientists around the world are working on this, as whoever solves the puzzle will probably get a Nobel prize for the accomplishments...)

Its very hard to guess when some earth shattering breakthrough is going to occur. And often is the case, something completely different comes up to totally change the picture. Sci Fi stories from the late 1800s completely missed the effects that the telephone and the automobile would have on society. And Sci Fi stories from the 1950s through the 1960s completely missed the impact on what the personal computer would have. No doubt we will see more surprises in the future...
Rihannsu
# 4
09-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
If you go back and watch Space Seed Khan and his followers are products Selective Breeding, which was in the 1960's very possible and in fact had been done, look to the 3rd Reich and their Eugenics programs such as the SS breeding program (Lebensborn): which only succeeded in creating ostracized, mentally traumatized non-supermen.

The "Genetic Engineering" slant was added in Star Trek II (just mentioning of the term by Chekhov and no specifics), and expanded on in DS9 and Enterprise. We could see the whole Genetic Engineering area in the Khan story as a retcon to bring the story up to modern SciFi standards.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.