Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Flotilla
Login

Commander
Just curious what everyone else is running with, as I've been having a hard time settling on a specific layout.

For the most part, I've been swapping between these two:

Lt Com Universal (science): HE 1, HE 2, Tachyon Beam 3
Commander Tactical: Torp Spread 1, Torp Spread 2, Rapid Fire 2, Rapid Fire 3
Lieutenant Tactical: Tac Team 1, Tac Team 2

Ensign Engineer: EPTS 1
Lieutenant Science: TSS 1, TSS 2

and

Lt Com Universal (engineer): EPTS 1, Reverse Shield Polarity 1, Reverse Shield Polarity 2

Lieutenant Science: HE 1, HE 2

Also been considering this layout...

Lt Com Universal (science): Polarize Hull 1, HE 2, HE 3

Lieutenant Science: TSS 1, TSS 2
Captain
# 2
09-26-2013, 10:17 AM
You should always run HE.

You should also always run either APO or PH. You can run both if you like, since PH provides a very nice hull resist boost that can be extremely handy apart from the tractor immunity, just as APO provides multiple tactical boosts aparat from the tractor immunity.
Commander
# 3
09-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Since those are already listed in my builds, not a lot of help =P

I'm still having issues with finding a tactical warbird build/layout that feels right.

Here's what I've got at the moment (made some minor changes):

Forward Weapons:
Quad Plasma Cannons
Dual Heavy Plasma Cannons
Dual Heavy Plasma Cannons
Plasma Torpedo Launcher

Rear Weapons:
Plasma Turret
Plasma Turret
Plasma Torpedo Launcher

Shield: Regenerative shield array mk xi (regx3)
Impulse: Hyper Impulse Engines mk xii (aux) (turn) (speed)
Singularity Core: Fleet singularity core (cant remember which right now, think it's shields/engine power, slipstream cooldown, singularity jump and charge bonus)
Deflector: some random purple mk xii deflector, with bonuses to shield and hull hitpoints

Engineering Consoles:
Fleet enhanced RCS console (resist damage)
Fleet resist all console (turn)

Science Consoles:
Focused singularity beam console
2x Shield regeneration Consoles

Tactical Consoles:
Plasma energy weapon damage
plasma projectile weapon damage
torpedo damage
cannon damage

Boff setup:

(ltcom uni) Polarize Hull 1, Hazard Emitters 2, Hazard Emitters 3
(com tac) Torp Spread 1, Torp Spread 2, Rapid fire 2, Rapid fire 3
(lt tac) Tac team 1, Tac team 2
(ens engi) Emergency to shields 1
(lt sci) Transfer shield strength 1, Transfer shield strength 2

I'm a science captain, so I've also got subnucleionic beam, sensor scan, scattering field, and photonic fleet slotted.

My damage output just doesnt feel like it's where it should be (though, even as a relatively fresh 50 - only been VA for 2 days - I still made first place in a CE elite run just now with a group of players that have been 50 for months, if not years).
On top of that, my survivability is absolutely horrid. Everything seems to drop my shields in one hit and kill me the next. I get almost instagibbed by any nearby ship explosions, whether my shields are up or not. Even stray fire not directed at me seems to kill me.

My healing options seem significantly limited. I fly an armitage on my fed tactical character and he never has the kinds of survival issues I'm having on this ship, running much the same loadout. In the past, 2x hazard emitters and either 2x emergency to shields or tss has been more than enough to keep my ship alive, I'm just not sure what's changed. I even run more aux on this ship than I do on my armitage, since I'm more science focused, but that doesnt help at all.

I've thought about possibly losing the torpedoes and replacing them with dual beam banks, hoping to use beam overload as my 'heavy hitter', or maybe fire at will to help deal with heavy projectiles or AoE, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. I cant respec, either, to change my points out of projectile weapons.

I also thought about getting rid of all my cannons (except the quads, since those give me that ever so nice set bonus with my singularity console) and replacing them with beams, and using beam abilities instead of cannon abilities, but anyone I mention that to says it will be a huge loss in damage output.

Even been considering getting rid of my rapid fire abilities (or tactical team) and replacing them with attack pattern abilities - but I have no skill points in attack patterns, so they'd be of little use.
Captain
# 4
09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
If you can, either get all plasma energy weapon damage consoles or have 3 of those and 1 torpedo console. All tactical consoles stack, so you'll do a lot more damage keeping them all the same. That should really help out with your damage dealing problems.

I've been thinking of getting this ship also and I am also a science captain. I was thinking of using the universal station for an engineer boff.

I was thinking of doing:

EPtS1, RSP1, Aux2SIF2
EPtS1

or I might just do

EPtS1 for my engineering staion and,

HE1, TSS2, GW1 for my universal station.

I'll have to wait and see as I don't own the ship yet.

Hope that help
Commander
# 5
09-27-2013, 08:57 PM
I have a habit of always trying to double up on abilities (using two copies of anything, like HE1/2, or grav well 1/3, for example). It helps me in combat when I dont have to search around for a specific ability in a mess of Icons, and I set up my ability trays on all of my characters in much the same fashion to help with this as well (I tend to use specific slots for specific abilities or types of abilities, so that i can go from character to character without needing to re-think my ability loadout).

I also like being able to keep as close to 100% uptime on effects as possible, like keeping rapid fire up almost all the time by running crf 3 and 1.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
09-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Ok first things first: your tac consoles need to be 4x plasma infusers mk XI rare. If you've got a Federation character (as in, a human or what not, not a Fed rom), you can replay a mission in the romulan campaign and get rare mk XI plasma infusers basically for free.

The lion's share of your damage will be coming from your cannons and turrets, so gear accordingly.

Tac boffs: Only one tac team is advised, and make it an ensign one. Get conn doffs to reduce the cooldown. Or build up towards that if you can't just buy them outright off the exchange (I've noticed that some of the conn doffs I get via recruitment assignments can spawn with the tac team mod). An attack pattern would also be good, Omega is pretty good. Beta is also pretty good. The former gives you a bunch of things, but you need to have two copies because the cooldown on one is a minute. APB has a shorter cooldown so you could get away with only having one. Another attack pattern worth considering, particularly since you have survivability issues, is Delta. It has a longer cooldown than Beta, but shorter than Omega, but you can carry two copies of it anyway. It gives you a damage resistance buff when you take fire, and it confers a damage resistance debuff on whoever is firing at you.

Survivability: this one's a little tougher. Ultimately, you've got a Lt. Commdr universal slot that can either go eng or sci (tac would make this ship a fragile glass cannon IMO). Eng vs sci is basically aux-based heals vs not. So think about your aux power setting, and think about how this might affect your boff selection when you're under fire. Power management while under fire might be more challenging gameplay for you, but it might also be more rewarding as a result.

If you go sci, then you can potentially fill out on double transfer shield strengths (try and get a TSS3 if you can) with double hazard emitters, with left over ensign spots for stuff like polarise hull and maybe tractor beam. All of these get stronger the more power you have in aux. As a bonus, the higher your aux the quicker your hangar bay can be used again. Your engineering ensign can either be an ET1 for those times when you need a strong hull heal, or an EPtAux1 to boost your sci heals when you need them. Or a more conventional EptS1.

On the other hand, if you go eng then you can go the classic EPtX route, use a couple of damage control engineers to lower the cooldown whenever a EPtX ability is used, and you still have left over space to dedicate towards hull heals. Aux2SIF is an engineering hull heal but it has a couple of pros and cons: the pros include a super short cooldown and a damage resistance buff. Cons include it is a pretty weak hull heal, and it is aux-based. On the other hand, you've got engineering team as a viable alternative which is a strong hull heal, will clear engineering debuffs (including viral matrix and tholian subsystem targeting), and you could put it on the Lt.Commdr slot if you know someone who can train your boff. Reverse shield polarity is also a viable ability for PVE.

BTW, I just bought these warbirds a few hours ago. I'm still working out how I want to fly them
Commander
# 7
09-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Is it a viable option to use one copy of all 3 team abilities in order to have situational debuff cleansing for everything? That's something I haven't had a chance to try yet on any of my characters.

The idea came up because im trying to make this character and ship as versatile as possible, which seems to suit science gameplay. If I had tactical team 1 science team 1, and engi team 1, I would be able to clear any debuffs on myself or teammates and provide shield or hull heals or a damage boost. The downside would be the linked cooldowns, so im not sure if it would be worthwhile.

Any comment on using dual beam banks instead of torpedoes as my burst damage option? the energy consumption combined with turrets and cannons would be pretty high, but my torps aren't seeming so effective lately. Also, using the singularity overcharge only boosts energy weapons, but it would be like having rapid fire and beam overload going off at the same time.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
09-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by telbasta7386 View Post
Is it a viable option to use one copy of all 3 team abilities in order to have situational debuff cleansing for everything? That's something I haven't had a chance to try yet on any of my characters.

The idea came up because im trying to make this character and ship as versatile as possible, which seems to suit science gameplay. If I had tactical team 1 science team 1, and engi team 1, I would be able to clear any debuffs on myself or teammates and provide shield or hull heals or a damage boost. The downside would be the linked cooldowns, so im not sure if it would be worthwhile.
For PVP I think the answer is a... maybe? For PVE 2 Team abilities should be enough, with ST being at the bottom of the list IMO. TT is a kinda-sorta shield heal, in the sense that the quick shield redistribution reinforces your shields where you need it most as opposed to simply healing all facings. ET cleanses engineering based debuffs, which seem to me to be more relevant for PVE. (Tholian and phaser subsystem attacks/procs, viral matrix from select bosses like Rom D'Ds etc)

In PVP, I think you'd need a ST to clear subnuke more than you'll need an ET, but on the other hand ET clears viral matrix so... I dunno.

Quote:
Any comment on using dual beam banks instead of torpedoes as my burst damage option? the energy consumption combined with turrets and cannons would be pretty high, but my torps aren't seeming so effective lately. Also, using the singularity overcharge only boosts energy weapons, but it would be like having rapid fire and beam overload going off at the same time.
IMO, this warbird doesn't have the tac boffs to really make a torpedo/cannon mix as viable as on other tac ships. Especially if you like to double up on abilities for cooldown purposes. You really need an attack pattern to boost your damage, and that takes up two slots in LT and above. CRF or CSV again takes up two slots in LT and above, which leaves you with two ensign slots. At least one is for TT, which leaves you with one TS, THY (although I would recommend spread over high yield), or go with a beam weapon and put in overload or FAW.

I'm considering the Experimental Rom Beam array instead of a torpedo, as I think that would work well with beam overload. Of course, that requires Tier V Rom rep, which I don't have quite yet. For respec purposes if you go down this route you should consider speccing out of projectile weapons entirely.

I've not used singularity overcharge at all since I heard that it doesn't work with any of the weapon abilities.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
09-28-2013, 12:51 AM
On every build you use Tac Team 1 & 2 with Torp Spread 1 & 2.

Tac Team 1 x 2 and Torp Spread 2 x 2 would be better.

Tac Team 1 > Torp Spread 2 > Cannon Rapid Fire 2 > Cannon Rapid Fire 3
Tac Team 1 > Torp Spread 2

Still got 2 copies of everything just a better layout.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
Commander
# 10
09-28-2013, 06:33 AM
BTW I should have mentioned that I dont pvp, so these layouts are for pve only.

You're right about the tac team/torp spread setup, I should've caught that. I've been trying to get torp spread 3, but apparently you cant use fed boffs to train romulan boffs.