Captain
# 11
09-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat140 View Post
If you take the Romulans as basically a rip-off of Ancient Rome, that gives you a very wide range of possibilities there and then, from the (alleged) virtues of the Republic to the worst of the Emperors (allegedly) stabbing each other in the back, and you still have some kind of unifying theme to keep hold of in either case.
I really like that approach. The Roman rulers were literally backstabbers "Et tu Brutus?" The Republic is made of the Plebians though the ordinary people maybe Greek democracy is a better model? I don't know. I agree their battle tactics will rely more on strategy, deception and tactics, they are a fledgling group and they have cloaking technology.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
09-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Uhmm... I'm just going to wait for the Romulan Faction mission tab to come back.
Captain
# 13
09-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat140 View Post
Occurred to me, too. It seems particularly weird given Star Trek's preoccupation with racial equality, that in fact nearly all the alien species in it come across as one-note caricatures!
The term is Planet of Hats. Star Trek's bad about it but it's hardly alone in that.

I think the best way it's been handled is in the Mass Effect series. The hat is treated as basically a stereotype that may or may not be actually true. A good example being the batarians, stereotyped as all criminals, because all the batarians most people ever meet are outcasts from a totalitarian regime. The batarian refugees you meet in 3 are just normal people fleeing the apocalypse. Another example from the same series: humanity. We get stereotyped as tenacious and unpredictable, but individuals can be heroes or cowards and anything in between.

Look at it this way: Even the Klingons have to have accountants.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 14
09-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
The term is Planet of Hats. Star Trek's bad about it but it's hardly alone in that.

I think the best way it's been handled is in the Mass Effect series. The hat is treated as basically a stereotype that may or may not be actually true. A good example being the batarians, stereotyped as all criminals, because all the batarians most people ever meet are outcasts from a totalitarian regime. The batarian refugees you meet in 3 are just normal people fleeing the apocalypse. Another example from the same series: humanity. We get stereotyped as tenacious and unpredictable, but individuals can be heroes or cowards and anything in between.

Look at it this way: Even the Klingons have to have accountants.
Well ya I think part of it is things get simplified for tv. Worf is an example of them fighting stereotyping he was a Russian Klingon and a "good guy" and this was during the cold war!

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Rihannsu
# 15
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Well, also, look at J'Dan he was about as dishonorable as a Klingon can be.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
10-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Well, now we have this:

https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/stat...95193242656768

So Speculation:OVertime edition!
Career Officer
# 17
10-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castsbugc View Post
Well, now we have this:

https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/stat...95193242656768

So Speculation:OVertime edition!
Good news if they're actually talking to them...

Although the Romulan thing is completely STO based, so it won't necessarily benefit from that.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 18
10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
I think we have gotten off topic.

Lt. Commander
# 19
10-04-2013, 02:24 PM
In reference to the Prime Directive, while a Fed-aligned Romulan may not be bound by the Prime Directive (though that might be debatable), it is still appropriate for a Star Fleet officer to bring it up and even demand compliance of a Romulan character. Allowing for a Romulan character to argue that they are not bound by the PD, though, would be a Romulan-friendly move.

I'm also a bit concerned about some of the "Romulan" stereotypes presented in this thread that are more appropriately Tal Shiar stereotypes. Romulans are generally honorable and don't back down from a fight. They may scheme more strategically and use cloaking tech to their advantage, but I think the adjective "sneaky" is better applied to Tal Shiar than to Romulan captains in general.

Last edited by donperk; 10-04-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of iPhone Autocorrect typos.
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
10-04-2013, 02:39 PM
don brings up a good point. Not all Romulans act the same. Some might indeed be sneaky, and some not. It's not all that different from Fed or KDF really because you have a lot of varying players with varying species within their faction and with varying interpretations of their characters. No matter what you do you run the risk of seeing "My Vulcan/Reman/Lethean/Whatever would never say that."

So idk, I tend not to worry about it so much. But one approach we've talked about on the Foundry Roundtable is what I call the "Mass Effect Technique" which is to provide three or more possible responses that display various attitudes from belligerent to diplomatic. If you offer those options and make sure none of them is really tied to being stereotypically "Starfleet" or "Romulan" but could work for both, I think it'll work out.

If anyone's interested, I played a Fed mission recently that I thought worked very well for the Romulan character I played it on. It was called "A Price for Eurydice" by djxprime.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.