Republic Veteran
# 11
09-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Pfft. Noob. Why look at the science behind photon torps when he should be looking at the science behind Quantum torps, or better yet, Chroniton? Much better in the application department.

Back to topic, and as another commenter pointed out above, I thought they were called 'photon' torps for the light trail they emitted as they headed to target?

Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
Member since early 2011
Member of Lag Industries ~ http://lagfleet.enjin.com/
Captain
# 12
09-29-2013, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorantomalak View Post
Read this i found it on memory alpha

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Photon_torpedo
From this link, it seems that as far back as 1968, at least some defined the "photon" in photon torpedo as part of a containing system for the anti-matter contents. However, in counter-point many still held that photon torpedoes were still big plasma-y blobs of death. Looks like The Wrath of Khan finally settled that disagreement.
Captain
# 13
09-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Where the Photonic torpedoes from Enterprise fit into this argument?

In TOS, they were just blobs of doom, in Wrath of Khan they were the torp we all know and love.

Then along comes Enterprise which gets Photonic torps which look and behave exactly like the the torps we know even though it's a good 130 years between Enterprise getting photonic in 2153 and Wrath of Khan being set in 2285.

But I'm getting off subject, Photon is a gross misnaming of the weapon given what information we have on it.

Mirror NX, you know you want it
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
09-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Photon torpedos ruined Star Trek forever. It's not really Star Trek if they're called Photon torpedos and not Anti-Matter Torpedos.

Cryptic should change the name of Photon Torpedos in the game to reflect my opinions and beliefs and if they don't then they hate Star Trek and only want money.

Anyone who disagrees with me is a photon torpedo and/or Cryptic fanboy.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Ensign
# 15
09-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven2378 View Post
Where the Photonic torpedoes from Enterprise fit into this argument?
Think their just supposed to be a cruder and not as powerful and versatile version of the Photon Torpedo in the 22nd century. Just as the Photons of the 23rd in TOS aren't supposed to be as sophisticated and potentially as fully destructive as the versions of the 24th/25th centuries.

On the subject of Enterprise I would also like to know more about how the older discarded Spatial Torpedoes work as there seems to be a dearth of information about the actual technical data about them other than their being wire guided as a plot back story. (Range, speed, type of warhead?)

That technology cannot have been fully discarded as in Voyager there were Borg episodes in which "Spatial Charges" where being planted in Borg vessels all the time
Captain
# 16
09-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorniral View Post
Think their just supposed to be a cruder and not as powerful and versatile version of the Photon Torpedo in the 22nd century. Just as the Photons of the 23rd in TOS aren't supposed to be as sophisticated and potentially as fully destructive as the versions of the 24th/25th centuries.

On the subject of Enterprise I would also like to know more about how the older discarded Spatial Torpedoes work as there seems to be a dearth of information about the actual technical data about them other than their being wire guided as a plot back story. (Range, speed, type of warhead?)

That technology cannot have been fully discarded as in Voyager there were Borg episodes in which "Spatial Charges" where being planted in Borg vessels all the time
I'd say the Spatial torpedo worked more like the TOW anti-tank missile or a modern naval torpedo, both are wire guided and both rely on kinetic impact.

Mirror NX, you know you want it