Cryptic Studios Team
# 11
09-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Step 1: Get hired at Cryptic.
Step 2: Open the Costume Editor.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Horrifying Abomination of various species and costume parts.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Empire Veteran
# 12
09-30-2013, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I bet you wouldn't have any complaints if there was an unrestricted map maker .
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Career Officer
# 13
09-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Quote:
I've seen some of JamJamz' creations.

I think the tailor is... over-restrictive. Especially on the mixing of costume parts.
Captain
# 14
09-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
"do it better" nice argument

Seriously, i think there are things that could easily be mixed without anyone being offended.

Especially the color palettes should be reworked, to allow more color variations.
Of course i can understand if CBS vetos a pink colored Starfleet uniform. But at least introduce one single color palette that applies for any piece likewise. I just hate it if the same colors look totally different on two uniform pieces.
(like some shades of black or white, that's just unnecessary and annoying)

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Captain
# 15
09-30-2013, 09:17 AM
There was a truly glorious bug KDF side many years ago with the Off-Duty Uniform slot, which allowed KDF characters to mix and match any and all of their factions costume parts without restrictions.
Sadly it was fixed. =/

Personally I would love to be able to throw my orion into the usual metal bikini and then accessorise her with STF Honor Guard boots, shoulder pads, colllar, gauntlets, arm guards etc.

At the very least i think there should be an option for a character to be allowed to mix and match freely of ALL the costume pieces in their own faction.
It could even have a disclaimer that says "use this option at your own risk" to highlight the potential incompatibility of costume pieces.

Last edited by senatorvreenak; 09-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Commander
# 16
09-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiweitech View Post
STO already has one of the best characters in any game, but wouldn't it be awesome if you had access to every uniform/body option from every faction/race? I don't expect to actually wear something like this in-game, but it would be amazing just to bring out the character creator's full unrestricted potential.

Now I get that there will be glitches/species differences, but the possibilities there are too great to ignore and I'm sure that workarounds can be found.

So is there anything like this out there? Any way to run the creator by itself? Anything that can achieve something like this (first rule)? If there isn't, is anyone interested in developing one?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Are you thinking of something like what Maxis has with the game Spore?
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiweitech View Post
Wow, so I'm assuming this is out of the question in the game itself?
P.S. Love that signature.
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: It's not completely out of the question, but whenever CBS Studios says 'Jump', Cryptic's only response is 'How high?'. I would not mind loosened restrictions, but CBS Studios would have to change their mind. Which is possible, just not probable.

Also, thank you. It's glad to see my wit is appreciated.

Quote:
Seeing the Character creator apparently being artificially being imited because CBS cares about canon, lol.
They should take their time and look at STOs gameplay and some ships, THERE would be some stuff worth of a veto.

But the Character creator? Lol.
I am all for unlocking as many options as possible.
I mean Cryptics uniforms are already not reckoginzeable as Star Trek uniforms, what difference would it make if we would get a good color palette at least?

Someone understand that logic...
Read my previous part about "It doesn't matter what your opinion is regarding canon."

The only logic there is, is that CBS Studios owns the intellectual property of Star Trek. An owner can do with their property whatever and however they wish. Your opinion on Star Trek canon is irrelevant. When you own the Star Trek IP, then you can tell Cryptic Studios to look at the gameplay and ships and whatever else you want to nitpick over and force Cryptic to conform to your personal beliefs and opinions.

But you don't own the Star Trek IP. You may be a fan of Star Trek, but your personal beliefs and opinions do not matter. Cryptic might be your voice to CBS Studios (I seem to recall Mr. Stahl trying to push for a T5 Connie on multiple occasions), but that's all. They can only suggest and inform, they can not 'demand' or 'make'.

It doesn't matter if I agree with CBS Studios, it doesn't matter if I disagree with them. It's not my property.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 09-30-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Commander
# 18
09-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
I take it thats an accurate description of your first day at cryptic taco?
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: It's not completely out of the question, but whenever CBS Studios says 'Jump', Cryptic's only response is 'How high?'. I would not mind loosened restrictions, but CBS Studios would have to change their mind. Which is possible, just not probable.

Also, thank you. It's glad to see my wit is appreciated.

Read my previous part about "It doesn't matter what your opinion is regarding canon."

The only logic there is, is that CBS Studios owns the intellectual property of Star Trek. An owner can do with their property whatever and however they wish. Your opinion on Star Trek canon is irrelevant. When you own the Star Trek IP, then you can tell Cryptic Studios to look at the gameplay and ships and whatever else you want to nitpick over and force Cryptic to conform to your personal beliefs and opinions.

But you don't own the Star Trek IP. You may be a fan of Star Trek, but your personal beliefs and opinions do not matter. Cryptic might be your voice to CBS Studios (I seem to recall Mr. Stahl trying to push for a T5 Connie on multiple occasions), but that's all. They can only suggest and inform, they can not 'demand' or 'make'.

It doesn't matter if I agree with CBS Studios, it doesn't matter if I disagree with them. It's not my property.
That's the same reason top tier Constitution class and Enterprise class ships aren't allowed, yea?
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
09-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmada1 View Post
That's the same reason top tier Constitution class and Enterprise class ships aren't allowed, yea?
Among other things (like being able to color your energy beams), and Cryptic's uphill battle to get Orion bikinis in the game. Costumes/ships/etc. have to be approved by CBS Studios, and they can intervene as much or as little as they want for little or no reason at all. Yes.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147