Survivor of Romulus
# 11
09-30-2013, 12:05 PM
On the rank, sir and mister debate I don't think there's necessarily a right answer. Just use what you like. I always say (probably to the annoyance of some) that the Foundry is the author's sandbox, not the player's. The player in essence must accept whatever you put in front of them, whether they like it or not.

Just make sure to be consistent with yourself. Don't address the player as captain and [rank] in the same mission.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 09-30-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Rihannsu
# 12
09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Something I noticed when I was writing Part 1, you use "sir" and [rank] A LOT! I found myself trying to alternate between the two just the keep either from being worn out. There's certainly precedent for the use of captain regardless of rank, but you kind of have to use it instead of [rank] to prevent confusion. It helps to have at least one other term to break things up.

And to the annoyance of some, it's also naval tradition (and in Star Trek) to refer to female officers as "Mister [lastname]."
I actually have a habit of not doing either unless the dialog requires it. I tend to not refer to the player or other characters directly unless I have to.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 13
09-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Honestly, coming from a military background having Females in Star Trek being called "Sir" always irked me, like it's disrespectful to female leadership. But after I have that thought, I have to tell myself, that in Star Trek they are called "Sir" as a general term than a Masculine term, because of the various alien races where some are Matriarchal societies, single-gender races, or multi-gendered races.
Rihannsu
# 14
10-01-2013, 06:24 AM
yeah, even though it's not normally used as a gender neutral term in real life, it is in Star Trek. :/
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
10-01-2013, 06:47 AM
If I have to throw my 2 cents in; it just doesn't "sound" right if you or your Boff talks to you OR another NPC as Sir, Ma'am or captain (captain is an exception for NPC's).

I consistently and only use [Rank] to communicate with the player, wether they are male or female. I try to write my missions as gender- and raceneutral as possible.

The only difficulty I'm still having (I'm rebuilding CSG1 atm) is to differentiate between factions (FED/ROM).
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Rihannsu
# 16
10-01-2013, 07:27 AM
yeah, [rank] sometimes comes out weird with Romulan ranks.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
10-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
yeah, [rank] sometimes comes out weird with Romulan ranks.
How so? Is this something that should be bug reported?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Rihannsu
# 18
10-01-2013, 09:15 AM
It's just that some of the rank names are things you wouldn't expect people to actually SAY. Like Subadmiral II...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Rear Admiral Upper Half?

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
10-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Rear Admiral Upper and Lower Half are actually real modern-day ranks in the U.S. Navy http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/navy_ranks.asp

But I agree the ones with the Roman numerals do look weird.