Captain
# 1 tlhIngan Hol help needed
07-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Need a translation for a one-shot I'm working on. I did some research but I want a second opinion.

I was trying to say something along the lines of "Honored Klingon guests, I am Eleya, daughter of Torvo, Captain of the Federation Starship Constitution." I came up with "mebpu’ tlhIngan batlh, Eleya, Torvo puqbe’ jIH. HoD DIvI’may’Duj Constitution."

I'm going to just use Translation Convention for the rest of the (short) conversation but I wanted the first line in accurate tlhIngan Hol.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 2
07-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Paging Sander...Paging Sander...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Delta Rising: Reanimate? (Y/N) Review Series COMPLETE!
Proudly F2P. Sig by gulberat. Avatar by balsavor.deviantart.com
Career Officer
# 3
07-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
Need a translation for a one-shot I'm working on. I did some research but I want a second opinion.

I was trying to say something along the lines of "Honored Klingon guests, I am Eleya, daughter of Torvo, Captain of the Federation Starship Constitution." I came up with "mebpu’ tlhIngan batlh, Eleya, Torvo puqbe’ jIH. HoD DIvI’may’Duj Constitution."

I'm going to just use Translation Convention for the rest of the (short) conversation but I wanted the first line in accurate tlhIngan Hol.
I was thinking of rearranging that into something more aggressive that klingons can appreciate it.

"Honored Klingon warriors, i come before you for i am, Eleya, daughter of Torvo. I hail of the Federation starship Constitution. My crew is strong as is their ability to fight and they have shown great honor in my time as captain. You challenge my ship or it's crew and i will show you how mistaken you are!"

"batlh tlhIngan SuvwI', Ha' jIH pa' SoH, eleya, torvo puqbe'. rI' jIH DIvI' 'ejDo' Constitution. beq HoS law' botlhDaq laH 'ej batlh Dun 'aghta' chaH HoD poH qaStaHvIS. SoH qaD chay' Qagh qa'ang Duj pagh beq 'oH je!" - note: no idea how accurate that is. ran it through a few translators without any success if its accurate. as translators are, unreliable when it comes to translating english to another language and then back again from that language to english.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Career Officer
# 4
07-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Paging Sander...Paging Sander...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
It looks correct until the end. DIvI'may'Duj actually means "Federation battleship" which may not be what you wish to convey for a diplomatic address.

"UFP Starship" would translate as yuQjIjDIvI’ 'ejDo' and the name of the ship should precede this.

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics

Last edited by sander233; 07-27-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: word order
Captain
# 5
07-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Sander.

Mirrorchaos, that's good and I'll have to remember it for another fic, but it's a little bit overkill for this one (I'm trying for a feel of "conversational but not about to take any crap"). I am going to change mebpu' to SuvwI'pu', though.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Career Officer
# 6
07-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
I was thinking of rearranging that into something more aggressive that klingons can appreciate it.

"Honored Klingon warriors, i come before you for i am, Eleya, daughter of Torvo. I hail of the Federation starship Constitution. My crew is strong as is their ability to fight and they have shown great honor in my time as captain. You challenge my ship or it's crew and i will show you how mistaken you are!"

"batlh tlhIngan SuvwI', Ha' jIH pa' SoH, eleya, torvo puqbe'. rI' jIH DIvI' 'ejDo' Constitution. beq HoS law' botlhDaq laH 'ej batlh Dun 'aghta' chaH HoD poH qaStaHvIS. SoH qaD chay' Qagh qa'ang Duj pagh beq 'oH je!" - note: no idea how accurate that is. ran it through a few translators without any success if its accurate. as translators are, unreliable when it comes to translating english to another language and then back again from that language to english.
Most of the words are right but the sentence structure is all wrong.

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics