Captain
I am not sure if they still do Radio Dramas today, but I use to listen to a few back in the 80s and 90s. They can be pretty good at story tell, and can draw you into any world. I know there were huge in the 50s, but is there room for them in todays world?

Oh BTW who out there remember Star Wars the Original Radio Drama?

I found a sample of it on You Tube, now this one brings back some good memeories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esvn5gT9vIQ
Captain
# 2
10-10-2013, 07:43 PM
The questions I have would be...

1) what difference, other than how it is broadcast, is there between a radio drama and an audio drama on CD? For example, and I don't keep up with these things, but hasn't Doctor Who been doing the latter? I thought I'd heard that Paul McGann had fleshed out his Eighth Doctor using audio dramas.

I'm thinking today's populous would be more interested in on-demand than scheduled broadcast. I know it would interest me to load up a portable player and go do yard work or jogging or such.

2) what would the broadcast medium actually be? or should I say, which would be most effective? AM radio (which is really, really dead in my city), FM radio, FM digital, satellite radio, or internet?

I personally would be interested if someone used modern quality recording and sound effects to recreate the feel of old radio (minus the pops and static). I could go for new tales of the Shadow, Green Hornet, and Sergeant Preston (by new, I mean written with today's audiences in mind. Some of the older stuff had plots that sound a bit hokey by today's standards) I really think Doc Savage ought to be given a chance, and I'd love for someone to create some all new dieselpunk material. Kudos to whomever can find a way to make the Batman work as a radio broadcast.
Commander
# 3
10-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes.
I remember "Theater of the Mind" on NPR back in the late 80's and early 90's.
It was brilliant.
Captain
# 4
10-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
I am not sure if they still do Radio Dramas today, but I use to listen to a few back in the 80s and 90s. They can be pretty good at story tell, and can draw you into any world. I know there were huge in the 50s, but is there room for them in todays world?

I found a sample of it on You Tube, now this one brings back some good memeories.

BBC Radio 4 broadcast radio dramas, if you're in the UK, check out IPlayer Radio
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Lieutenant
# 5
10-11-2013, 08:42 AM
There is some audio stuff around the internet. Nightvale isn't exactly a radio drama but it is a pretty big success in the audio format online so I think there is still room for audio dramas and if the right one comes along that it could still catch on. I know I've gotten a fair number of dramatized audio novels at the very least.
Rihannsu
# 6
10-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Internet is the new radio. Scifi channel put out some really goodaudio dramas a few years ago, try looking for Seeing Ear Theater I think it was, on their website. And if you want something else, try youtube, I know several people on there do dramatic readings and audio plays, mostly fanfic of stuff, so your fandom might not be there, but worth a look.

As for actual audio plays on actual radio? Honestly, who has a radio at home anymore, or if they do, do they ever turn it on? Personally, the only time I turn on a radio is in my car, and even then, I usually prefer to burn a CD and listen to that, less talk. There are probably more people listening to radio over then internet than over the radio waves.

But overall, yes, I think there is still a future for radio plays and audio drama. I'd love it if someone did a new radio play of The Shadow, those were cool. And I have CDs of the Star Wars radio play, all three movies. Even have some Star Trek books on tape that were pretty good.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 7
10-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post

Big Finish in the UK create a lot of Audio Drama's for Sci-Fi ranges like Doctor Who, Blake's 7, Sapphire and Steel, the Avengers (The British series, not the American one), Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, 2000AD, Highlander, Sherlock Holmes.
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Captain
# 8
10-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I can't be the only one who listens to the Thrilling Adventure Hour?
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 9
10-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Interesting thread, considering I'm listening to "Welcome to Night Vale".

"Goodnight Listeners....... Goodnight...."
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.

Last edited by centersolace; 10-11-2013 at 10:30 PM.