Career Officer
# 1 R'mor or Khnial?
09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Hello, I currently have a Romulan liberated Borg scientist in a Ha'nom guardian warbird and want to upgrade. While I will make my final decision after Cryptic finally unveils the alien mystery carrier it will probably come down to a battle between the R'mor-class Temporal Science Vessel and the Khnial-class Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser.

R'mor
Pro:
+15 Aux
high maneuverability
awesome shield modifier

Con:
can't use dual cannons
no cloak
extremely expensive

Khnial
Pro:
can use dual cannons
2 additional weapon slots in addition to Sensor Analysis
+10 Aux/+10 Shield energy
ridiculously cheap compared to R'mor
strong hull
good shield modifier
cloaking device

Con:
maneuverability merely acceptable for the use of dual cannons

Am I overlooking something or is the Khnial a better science ship in spite of being a cruiser?
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Captain
# 2
09-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Raw-math wise probably the R'mor, particularly if you're gonna be doing PVP team based every-second-counts blah blah blah ultra minmax stuff. That said though, just for cost and style and all the rest of the game, my own tastes would go for the Khnial. Borg-rom captain in a borg-rom was-a-D'deridex. Plus is the R'mor superior enough to be worth almost doubling of cost?

There's also the Adapted Destroyer too. LtCmdr sci, two universals, and could let you do the sci-scort thing.
Career Officer
# 3
09-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
Raw-math wise probably the R'mor, particularly if you're gonna be doing PVP team based every-second-counts blah blah blah ultra minmax stuff.
I'm not doing any PvP, but why would you think that the R'mor would be better?

Quote:
That said though, just for cost and style and all the rest of the game, my own tastes would go for the Khnial. Borg-rom captain in a borg-rom was-a-D'deridex. Plus is the R'mor superior enough to be worth almost doubling of cost?
Well, there's my problem. I considered the Borg-Rom/Borg-ship connection, however her background is, that she wasn't assimilated by the Borg but experimented on by the Tal Shiar and was not as neatly deassimilated as Seven of Nine. After being forced to do that to someone else in Mind Games she's really sick of Tal Shiar technology. However from what I can see I get the feeling that the Khnial is insanely more powerful than the R'mor while costing only about half as much on the exchange. That's why I'm asking here what I am overlooking.

Quote:
There's also the Adapted Destroyer too. LtCmdr sci, two universals, and could let you do the sci-scort thing.
I thought about that, but I already have a Romulan in a T'varo and a Reman in a Mogai, with this character I want to stick with something with a science commander.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Captain
# 4
09-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
I'm not doing any PvP, but why would you think that the R'mor would be better?
My understanding is that the extra speed and greater sci specialization makes the difference more than a pair of weapon mounts when operating in a coordinated-team environment. (And TBH, whenever the PVP snobs on my fleet talk sci support ships, its generally 'Temporal Sci, Recluse, or shut up.' Pleasant or not they take their team-based builds very seriously.)

Quote:
Well, there's my problem. I considered the Borg-Rom/Borg-ship connection, however her background is, that she wasn't assimilated by the Borg but experimented on by the Tal Shiar and was not as neatly deassimilated as Seven of Nine. After being forced to do that to someone else in Mind Games she's really sick of Tal Shiar technology. However from what I can see I get the feeling that the Khnial is insanely more powerful than the R'mor while costing only about half as much on the exchange. That's why I'm asking here what I am overlooking.
Eh maybe she captured it from Hakeev's faction and decided to twist the knife by killing his people with his own creation? Maybe its an older D'deridex with a bit of a history of its own and, like her, was twisted into something else? A kindred spirit in the form of a starship? Nothing wrong with your ship being a 'character' all its own, especially when you've paid that much for it.

Quote:
I thought about that, but I already have a Romulan in a T'varo and a Reman in a Mogai, with this character I want to stick with something with a science commander.
Best reason of all then. Time to do something different.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-30-2013, 03:49 PM
The R'mor has its charm, but the adapted battle cruiser also makes for an excellent science-heavy vessel - if you can lay your hands on the adapted destroyer to complete the 3-piece adapted set, then you get a nice radiation addition to a number of offensive science powers too! I currently have the battle cruiser toting the 3-piece, both borg reputation space sets, and plasma weaponry - it's awesome to fly.
Republic Veteran
# 6
09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Personally with how much Science vessels cost on the exchange I would say the R'Mor isn't worth it.

With the whole game being about damage pretty much you're much better off with the Khnial, you can make up for the lack of turning with RCS consoles but you can't make up for the loss of two weapon slots.

Plus if you ever change your mind and want to do something other than science you can easily do that with your Cmdr Uni slot.
Career Officer
# 7
10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
My understanding is that the extra speed and greater sci specialization makes the difference more than a pair of weapon mounts when operating in a coordinated-team environment. (And TBH, whenever the PVP snobs on my fleet talk sci support ships, its generally 'Temporal Sci, Recluse, or shut up.' Pleasant or not they take their team-based builds very seriously.)
Well, I either solo or pug. My current build is:

Commander Sci: Science Team I, Hazard Emitters II, Gravity Well I, Gravity Well III
Lt.-Cmdr. Sci: Polarize Hull I, Tractor Beam II, Tractor Beam Repulsors II
Lieutenant Eng: Engineering Team I, Emergency Power to Shields II
Lieutenant Tac: Torpedo: Spread I, Cannon: Rapid Fire I
Ensign Tac: Tactical Team I

1 torpedo launcher fore and aft, the rest are dual (heavy) cannons and turrets.

I just realized it's basically Conan. Crush your enemies (gravity well), see them driven before you (tractor beam repulsors), only no one can hear the lamentation their women in space. So yeah, the basic strategy is immobilize the enemies and pull them together if it's a group and then wreck them with AoE attacks. With the R'mor I'd have to switch to single cannons (even though I could upgrade the tactical abilities to Rapid Fire II and Torpedo Spread II), with the Khnial I get another dual cannon and a turret.....
So I guess Lianthelia is right, I would be better off with the Khnial (even without the cluster torpedoes from the destroyer, 70 million for a set bonus is a wee bit too much for me, before LoR I never had more than 20 million at a time, and rarely more than 10.). I really hoped that I had overlooked something about the R'Mor, I love the design and I'm really the opposite of an Abrams-fan....