Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Captain
There have been comments recently involving the Aegis and Assimilated sets and their role in the end-game, esp here in this sub-forum. So I decided to start a thread and ask this simple question:

How do you guys see these two sets in comparison to the other end-game sets, and why do you see them that way? Do they need a buff? Or are they fine as is?

I'll start with my personal opinion.

In regards to the Aegis set, I always saw it as more of a transition set than an end-game set. It's got fun set bonuses, and decent procs, but overall, I never saw it as more than something to use until you got the Omega rep sets. And tbh, the reason it's so weak is because it equates to a mk IX set. I don't think it was ever intended to be used as end-game gear, or if it was, I don't think it was meant to be staple set.

In regards to the Assimilated set, it's amazing. Period. The engine is wonderful (+5 power to the SS, turn rate equal to the MACO/Adapted KHG, boosted speed in sector space, you can't go wrong), the Deflector is useful if not good (boosted SIF, boosted PI, boosted GG), and the shield... ok, I was wrong, it's not amazing period.

Sufficed to say, my only gripe with the Assimilated set are that the deflector is somewhat less amazing than the KHG and MACO deflectors, but still manageable (not going to touch Omega, that seems to be another set that could use a re-work), and that the shield is lackluster. And I mean REALLY lackluster. I believe that recently Virusdancer did some math comparing the Omega rep shields to their mk XII purple variants, and he found that the Assimilated shield was the least bolstered of the 4 sets, and in fact downright weak in comparison.

Granted I will still continue to use my Assimilated set, since it is still very much viable, but it could still use a little boost (if nothing else give it a [cap] mod, or something).

Anywho, thoughts?
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 2
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
The aegis has no place in sto anymore. Estfs are easy, and fleet gear is superior and easier to get.

Aegis is for Tron fans, get it for the visuals.

The borg set without the procs is sub par, but the procs....just fantastic. Whenever you swap from 3p Borg to anything else, you immediately miss those procs. I have all space sets and nothing comes close to those outrageous sublime shield/hull heals.

The tractor beam is of "meh" value. Should have a 1 minute cd or less to gain wow factor
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-02-2013, 02:24 PM
on top the 2piece bonus from the borg set seems to heal constantly more than my hazard emmiter2; yet the shields are even with the 3pc bonus more meh
Career Officer
# 4
10-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
There have been comments recently involving the Aegis and Assimilated sets and their role in the end-game, esp here in this sub-forum. So I decided to start a thread and ask this simple question:

How do you guys see these two sets in comparison to the other end-game sets, and why do you see them that way? Do they need a buff? Or are they fine as is?

I'll start with my personal opinion.

In regards to the Aegis set, I always saw it as more of a transition set than an end-game set. It's got fun set bonuses, and decent procs, but overall, I never saw it as more than something to use until you got the Omega rep sets. And tbh, the reason it's so weak is because it equates to a mk IX set. I don't think it was ever intended to be used as end-game gear, or if it was, I don't think it was meant to be staple set.

In regards to the Assimilated set, it's amazing. Period. The engine is wonderful (+5 power to the SS, turn rate equal to the MACO/Adapted KHG, boosted speed in sector space, you can't go wrong), the Deflector is useful if not good (boosted SIF, boosted PI, boosted GG), and the shield... ok, I was wrong, it's not amazing period.

Sufficed to say, my only gripe with the Assimilated set are that the deflector is somewhat less amazing than the KHG and MACO deflectors, but still manageable (not going to touch Omega, that seems to be another set that could use a re-work), and that the shield is lackluster. And I mean REALLY lackluster. I believe that recently Virusdancer did some math comparing the Omega rep shields to their mk XII purple variants, and he found that the Assimilated shield was the least bolstered of the 4 sets, and in fact downright weak in comparison.

Granted I will still continue to use my Assimilated set, since it is still very much viable, but it could still use a little boost (if nothing else give it a [cap] mod, or something).

Anywho, thoughts?
One thing that has always bugged me is how the Borg set is the only STF set that only has 15% Plasma resistance as opposed to 20% from the other sets....
Captain
# 5
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM
3-piece is good for tanking tons of little hits (CE when it was glitching and doing silly amounts of mirror ships for example) with the fast regen and the shield-heal proc. Plus an extra tractor beam is always handy, especially when it jacks up the damage of your cutting beam in the process. Particularly since the MACO shield glitches the Plasmonic Leech, Assimilated 3-piece makes an attractive alternative.
Career Officer
# 6
10-02-2013, 02:48 PM
I still use AEGIS shields on a bunch of my ships because I love the neon underglow look. And it doesn't let me down in any endgame PvE.

I still like the three-piece hull res proc for running CCE.

And the set used to be more-than-decent for speedtankers in PvP but that was before leet fleet gear and the ACC/DEF DOff power creep.

Assimilated, I think the built-in healing outweighs the weakness of the shields and I love piling on damage with the built-in tractor beam and KCB and an Omega THY3.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Welp, the Assimilated set has always been a staple because it was/is the easiest STF set you could get your hands on, and when you add on its still-useful abilities and the general look of it (ships can look pretty cool all borgified) then it still shines as a solid set to use at any time really. Its only when you're min-maxing will it become absolutely necessary to drop it for something superior (and even then, some builds can utilize it very effectively).

As for the Aegis, its a nice go-to set when you're still repping and need something for defensive measures. The engines and shield for instance were a god-send for my Romulan before I was able to get him up on reputation gear. However, the effort to get a hold of them (via making them or buying them) tends to dim a lot of its qualities, and as most sets are much more superior, it does end up being left in that relatively short window between hitting level 50 (or whatever level you're allowed to use it at, I can't remember) and getting your first set of proper reputation gear, where the 3m+ cost (or the crafting grind) is weighted against the relatively easy reputation grind.
Captain
# 8
10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
I might be one of the few who never uses the borg set anymore since they made you need the shields for the 3 pc bonus. The 2 pc bonus is ok, but I usually rather have MACO, Omega, or HG 2 pc instead with elite shields. I don't even get the borg set on post rep system characters anymore.
Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
Captain
# 9
10-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Aegis - transitional up to level 45.
Borg - used to be transitional up to level 50.

Aegis is obviously meant to be subpar to the STF sets - much in the sense that the Jem, Breen, and Nukara are. They're on a different level.

Unfortunately, imho, with the change to Reputation - the Borg set did not have its cost increased to match the other sets while bringing it in line with them. It's a reduced cost set that the reduction in cost does not justify the reduction in performance...imho again.

Aegis is what it is. Borg should have the cost increased and be brought in line with the rest. That being said, I believe that shouldn't happen until after they decide to replicate the changes in how the Voth Rep will work to the other Reps. With that said, I do believe an upgrade path should be implemented for folks that currently have some version of the Borg set - even if they have Mk XII, they'd have to pay some incremental cost to get the new Mk XII.

As an aside, I believe such should exist for everybody that has a Mk X/Mk XI piece of the other sets to upgrade to Mk XII...don't think folks should be grandfathered in/given freebies in that sense.

Further as an aside, I believe they should give the Breen set the Jem Lobi treatment...perhaps at some non-existent point in time when there's a Breen Lockbox with the Sarr Theln.

"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Captain
# 10
10-02-2013, 04:13 PM
I love the aegis look but not enough to wear it. The elite shields out class the aegis set almost on their own. Only thing you're missing is a defence bonus.

Assimilated set, I love the full set for tanking but the shield is very weak, 2 shots and you're through it more or less. Could do with a bit more cap or some form of resistance stacking. In fact I'm surprised it doesn't have the whole resistance stacking thing being, ya know, Borg and all.

I'd love to see assimilated shield to get a small boost, maybe to cap or massive regen to make it competitive but that's all I'd change.

As for the aegis...that's a hard one. I'd probably increase its resistance stacks and make them the highest in the game. Alternatively you could have it stack multiple energy types up to 30% each. As in if you're taking fire from 3 different energy types you eventually build up a 30% stack against all 3 types.

Then perhaps have a look at putting some sprinkles on it.
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.