Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Would this laptop work?
01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm just curious whether or not this laptop would work with STO, and would it work well. I've never used ATI before so I honestly have no idea what I'm going into. If someone could review this, and see where I can make improvements where possible to get the best laptop for my buck (under $1000).

Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570


Thanks!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I have a 256 mb ATI Mobility HD 3450 and it's working like a charm. I can't play on full settings (offcourse) but the slider is at 75% for me, with a bit of tweaking I'm sure I could go to 80-85%.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
It should work pretty well but I would put a cooler underneath.. Post your results tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightstrikerX View Post

Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570


Thanks!!
"That'll work just fine. The 4570 isn't a great card but for a laptop it is sufficient. You should be able to play at the native resolution of your screen (1280x800?) and at about medium settings."

"You might even be able to manage 2x AA !"

.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-28-2010, 02:10 PM
That laptop would do an okay job, but not a particularly good job.

If you were ready to buy right now, this machine would handle the game quite well at least at mediumish/highish settings with its Mobility Radeon HD 4650, and at $850 with a $100 mail-in-rebate, the price is hard to beat. If you wanted to spend the entire stated $1000 budget, then this machine would probably be the way to go; the Mobility Radeon HD 5730 is brand new, and performs quite well while consuming relatively little power.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Got this deal via email today. Take a close look at the GPU..... its the new next gen Nvidia chip. Looks like they slid this in the backdoor ahead of the new desktop cards do out very soon. If I where looking for a laptop this would be on my short list. I'd bump it up to 8GB of ram though. HP is selling a similar model on their website.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E0A-_-34114796
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScragg View Post
Got this deal via email today. Take a close look at the GPU..... its the new next gen Nvidia chip. Looks like they slid this in the backdoor ahead of the new desktop cards do out very soon. If I where looking for a laptop this would be on my short list. I'd bump it up to 8GB of ram though. HP is selling a similar model on their website.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E0A-_-34114796
Its "new" not new.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.24058.0.html

its simply a slightly higher clocked gts260m.

"The Nvidia GeForce GTS 360M is a high performance laptop graphics card and based on the GT215 core. Compared to the older GTS 260M, the GTS 360 features only a higher clock speed.

The GT215 core supports DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 2.1. It features 96 shader cores as the 9800M GT, but the memory bus is only 128 bit wide. To compensate this, the GTS 360M supports GDDR5. Therefore, the performance is significantly lower when cheap DDR3 memory is used."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisane
Its "new" not new.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.24058.0.html

its simply a slightly higher clocked gts260m.

"The Nvidia GeForce GTS 360M is a high performance laptop graphics card and based on the GT215 core. Compared to the older GTS 260M, the GTS 360 features only a higher clock speed.

The GT215 core supports DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 2.1. It features 96 shader cores as the 9800M GT, but the memory bus is only 128 bit wide. To compensate this, the GTS 360M supports GDDR5. Therefore, the performance is significantly lower when cheap DDR3 memory is used."
Nvidia has just been re-releasing and re-branding things to death anyways though. At this point, I'm skeptical of the march launch of Fermi for desktop cards, let alone mobile GPUs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Nvidia has just been re-releasing and re-branding things to death anyways though. At this point, I'm skeptical of the march launch of Fermi for desktop cards, let alone mobile GPUs.
I've learned to never take an nvidia name at face value. I did a ton of researching of laptop gpus before I settled on one I could live with. Rockin a gtx260m right now. Love how fast that thing is for a mobile processor, but ****ed off that its really a three year old desktop card.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisane
I've learned to never take an nvidia name at face value. I did a ton of researching of laptop gpus before I settled on one I could live with. Rockin a gtx260m right now. Love how fast that thing is for a mobile processor, but ****ed off that its really a three year old desktop card.
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. I was considering an Asus G60vx not too far back for that reason until I realized that it wasn't mobile enough for my purposes to pack such a beefy GPU into a notebook. That said, Notebookcheck (which you cited before, I see ) is right about it being a re-brand.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 PM.