Lieutenant
# 51
10-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsxd View Post
not so much fun since the warbird retrofit has that. its a godmode.
No, it has advanced battle cloak, lets it fire torpedoes while cloaked (well briefly uncloaking then cloaking again with no cool down). PHASING cloak allows you to go though solid objects. Like moons...
Commander
# 52
10-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight0001 View Post
I think they will release a Carrier and a Science Vessel soon enough, This is a new faction and they haven't released everything yet.
Unfortunately that doesn't fly. You can't expect players to stick around just in case they might one day address this problem. They've given no indication they will and the Klingon faction has been around for years and doesn't have anywhere near the selection of ships available to the Federation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreeves7a View Post
Personally, I'd love to see a full Romulan science ship that isn't ha'nom or ha'apax based (no offense to the artists, those ships just aren't my thing).
I agree. They're ugly.

If you have bought the haakona then those parts are available for the ha'anom and can be used to drastically improve its appearance. Try:

Hull - Haakona
Nacelles - Ha'apax Type 1
Wings - Ha'apax
Pattern - Lacerta (for all)
Colors - E8
Material - Romulan Type 1
Windows - Type 1

And you end up with a nice looking Ha'nom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oculushomunculus View Post
I see a lot of talk about Tac captains being better in a Tac ship, Engi better in an Engi ship, and Science better in a Science ship.

But is not the only functional difference between them the 5 or so space specific abilities you get as a captain (Photonic fleet, Nadion inversion, Fire on my mark, etc) and the two traits unique to each one?
That's not an insignificant difference.

The tactical and engineering captain special abilities are unaffected by ship type but this isn't true for the science one. The trait for photonic fleet reduces its cooldown when you use science abilities (cooldown 10 secs). To make the most of that you need lots of science abilities equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
You have a very narrow definition of what a Science ship is... That is your problem.
Let's try this on for size.

How would you and all the other tac-happies feel if the devs changed all the tactical ships to have fewer tac console slots and bridge officer slots? Would you still consider them tactical ships?

It is nice that there are a few warbirds with universal bo slots but without a universal commander slot and with tactical console arrangements, those are not science vessels.
Commander
# 53
10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aevlom View Post
First off, you didn't start this thread, so who are you to magically know if the original poster wants suggestions or not. There are no end-game Romulan science vessels, so we're giving suggestions to cope until there are dedicated science vessels.
Whining and berating people trying to give helpful advice isn't adding any content to this thread.
Right, I didn't start the thread, but the inference is pretty clear and giving advice for ship builds that aren't science ships in a thread entitled 'Romulan Science love' that opens by saying we need more Romulan science ships isn't adding much either.

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.
Commander
# 54
10-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
Right, I didn't start the thread, but the inference is pretty clear and giving advice for ship builds that aren't science ships in a thread entitled 'Romulan Science love' that opens by saying we need more Romulan science ships isn't adding much either.
Some of those offering advice for non-sci ship builds might genuinely be trying to be helpful. It's not the solution the OP or many of us want but might help us make the best of a bad situation.

Some of those offering the same advice do so in a snarky, "you don't need any more science vessels" kind of way. There are unfortunately many such posts in these forums.

Looking at aevlom's initial advice re the t'varo I think they're probably the former and not part of the I-hate-Romulan-scientists gang.
Rihannsu
# 55
10-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnoukh View Post
Some of those offering advice for non-sci ship builds might genuinely be trying to be helpful. It's not the solution the OP or many of us want but might help us make the best of a bad situation.

Some of those offering the same advice do so in a snarky, "you don't need any more science vessels" kind of way. There are unfortunately many such posts in these forums.

Looking at aevlom's initial advice re the t'varo I think they're probably the former and not part of the I-hate-Romulan-scientists gang.
Yes, in my experience, you can make a decent Sci-torp setup with a T'Varo.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 56
10-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Yeah I've tried it and it's ok. Possibly better for soloing than the ha'nom but I definitely prefer the ha'nom with its sci commander slot for STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 57
10-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
The advantage of the T'varo Retrofit is that you can get away with an AUX heavy power setting to support the Science that a T'varo Torpedoboat is capable of without seriously compromising survivability. The T'varo Retrofit can function effectively as an "almost" Science Ship ... particularly if you get the T'varo set consoles in order to deploy the Destabilized Plasma Torpdeo at a cluster of adversaries that have been herded up together by Gravity Well I and Scramble Sensors I, which can somewhat impressively turn hostile ships into chain reaction popcorn (plasma flavored butter not included).

The "nice" thing about the T'varo Retrofit as a Torpedoboat/Stealth Bomber is that it isn't a One Trick Pony (or at least, it shouldn't be). The "bad" side to that, for Science at least, is that you just don't get a whole lot of BOff slots for Science Skills ... or at least not as many as a "true" Science ship would have. Another downside is that you pretty much wind up "sacrificing" your Engineering Consoles to the T'varo 2 Set and one other Universal Console, just so you can (still) have 3 Science Consoles and 3 Tactical Consoles. So "adequate" and serviceable, but not incredibly impressive.
Survivor of Remus
# 58
10-20-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm working on a pair of builds adapting a similar idea to the Scimitar's Tulwar variant. Specifically a TorpWell and a "Juicer" (power drain), neither are ready yet although because of the crystaline reward the drainer is much closer. We shall see as good DOffs are expensive. That being said, I'd love to see Cryptic add more dedicated science vessels to the game, or even a carrier like the Kar'Fi (which I am liking on my KDF toon right now) but you might have guessed that because I did start the thread. It wasn't so much a call for help as much as a plead to the Devs to hook us up with some more science ships.
Republic Veteran
# 59
10-27-2013, 01:48 PM
OK, Cruisers got their Upgrade, so Sci Ships are next (i hope).
That would be an excellent moment to introduce a dedicated Romulan Science Vessel. (and imho...*if* we ever see a Rom Sci Ship i hope it looks more elegant, with a smaller "hitbox", like the "Shadow" from Armada 2, and not as "crude" as the ha'*something* ships or the timeship)
Commander
# 60
10-28-2013, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
So "adequate" and serviceable, but not incredibly impressive.
I wouldn't even call it adequate. It's just the closest thing Romulans have to an alternative to the Ha'nom.

Eg. for STFs I like to take along tyken's rift 3 and gravity well 1. The former is handy for dropping the shields on borg cubes. Also not terrible with other ships if dropped after the gravity well.

The T'varo only has a lt com and com station available. That means at best I could take tyken's rift 1. And there's less science abilities all round. The T'varo obviously has a lot more firepower instead but it's... well not a science ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valenn1 View Post
OK, Cruisers got their Upgrade, so Sci Ships are next (i hope).
ships or the timeship)
Someone reported in another thread that the next Romulan ship will probably be a sci, but there's several non-Romulan ships ahead of it on their to-do list.