Captain
# 1 Of Morals and Ethics
10-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Do the ends justify the means? To what lengths would you go to accomplish a goal? In this twisted alternate reality where choices and compromises must be made, which end of the moral spectrum will you favor?

Mission name: Of Morals and Ethics (currently in reviewer section)
Faction: Fed
Level 35+

This is my first real foundry mission. It's heavily based on dialogue, and many of the trees branch off depending on what you choose. It does have combat, though, but if you spam F on the dialogues it makes no sense. I just released the mission, so if you find typos, continuity errors, or stuff that can be improved, please let me know. I'm also still adding details and stuff, so please don't look at it badly for that. Thanks, and have fun.

I highly recommend playing this in character, making choices your character would make. Pay close attention to names and NPC text bubbles, as they contain funny references to stuff. Note: This isn't the mirror universe. I realize now that a few dialogues may lead people to believe that, but it's a splinter timeline created by Voporak (in the RP thread in 10F).

Update 10/6/13: Fixed some typos and bugs.
Update 10/7/13: Added an optional, more lengthy description of a certain event to a certain character.
Update 10/8/13: Added an out of way funny reference NPC, updated some text, added visuals to the placing of [you know what if you played it] on Sublevel D, and made a few other things on that map a little better.
Update 10/9/13: Fixed an annoying typo that's been evading me.
Update 11/2/13: -added details to maps
-added fighting NPCs to the first Station map, for effect
-named all NPCs (except for wandering guards in Sublevel D), renamed a few
-add smokiness to Sublevel D
-fixed corridor to nowhere/respawn point
-add detail NPCs to Empok Nor, changed someone's name
-removed an unnecessary 'one-shot wonder' warp out map
Update 11/5/13: -Fixed a typo
-Made Ambush map's sudden appearance of enemies make sense.
-Added some more life to first Tortuga map
-Flipped around the spawn point of the final map so you warp in logically
-Fixed some grammar
-Added a minor dialogue (with technobabble )
-Edited some dialogues
-Added three new mechanics, with backwards dev names of course.
-Other stuff I forgot about by the time I wrote these notes
Update 11/9/13: -I wrote patch notes but evidently the forum lag made them not update this post.
-I think I just named some more NPCs.
Update 12/8/13: -renamed a map
-fixed some typos
-gave movement to an NPC
-Added a console to the trading station
-Made the final space station start to explode as you make a run to the exit point
-by that I mean a HUGE explosion
Update 1/2/14: -fixed/added/changed almost all issues noted in Starswordc's and Evil70th's reviews
-This includes removal of the useless Deep Space Nine map
-Changed all 'Next' response buttons to '...'

Screenshots:

After playing the mission, feel free to read these notes (they contain spoilers! Highlight to see them):
[-Many names, if spelled backwards, are names of real things: There's Hirogen and Chimera, that I can remember offhand.
-I ran out of names for NPCs one day, so I named them strange stuff. Like Fork, for example.
-Captain Borken's four buddies have names of things that are broken: Ta'lore = tailor, Foe'rms = forums, Gron Z'ro = Ground Zero, Peev E'kyoos = PvE queues or PvP queues.
-The ten named mechanics are devs' nicknames backwards: Borticus, Adjuticator Hawk, Stahl, Kestrel, Swallrus, Tacofangs, JamJamz, Thomas, Goatshark, and Archon. The Mechanic Advisor is Branflakes.
-When I played through it on my main character, Voporak, it was weird talking to myself as the main villain.
-There is a comet in every space map except DS9/Tortuga Ambush.
-If you've ever played Ashkrik23's mission Prefection, Part 1, you might have seen in the back of a room on one of the maps Voporak in a cage with a Ferasan named I'Zira standing there, mentioning something about revenge. Did you notice I'Zira was killed at the temple? Poetic justice...
-more to come
]

Moral scale:
[-All good dialogue choices chosen: You're a true Starfleet officer.
-Mostly good: You got your flaws, but so does everyone else.
-Half and half: If I was Admiral Quinn, I'd keep an eye on you.
-Mostly bad: I wouldn't trust you with walking my dog. You'd probably sell it to make a quick buck.
-All bad: You are an immoral monster! D:<
]

Symbolism:
[-Voporak represents all that is wrong and immoral. He tries to sway the player to his point of view.
-Taka represents all that is good. He tries to convince the player to follow the values of Starfleet -or- he reinforces the player's good choices.
-Xavek acts as a secondary good guy, basically serving the same role as Taka. He's later in the mission for the player to see where they've gone in terms of morals and ethics.
-K'Drex is a counterpart to Xavek. She's a secondary bad guy voice to Voporak that tries to win the player over to the dark side, essentially.
-Cog serves as a means by which the player can actually act upon their decisions. You can beam away his guards, or you can kill them on the spot. You can give him to the Cardassians to be unethically tortured (and killed anyway when the Galor blows up), or you can protect him.
-Together each character has a "massive" dialogue (where there are separating branches going throughout a long dialogue) that questions what the player values. Voporak has two dialogues obviously. In his second/final, there are four possible endings. You start by either agreeing or disagreeing with him. If you agree, you argue multiple times against him. On the flipside, you can agree with him and commend Voporak on his ability to dupe the player. At the end of the 'good' branch you get asked "If you could kill me right now, would you?" If you say no, then you get Voporak saying you'll never see it his way (or something like that). If you you say yes, you get what I consider to be the darkest one of all, Voporak simply says "Then you do see it my way after all." He's informing the player that if they kill him on the spot, they're not as good as they just argued to be.
-At the end of the 'bad' branch (most probably won't pick this one because, y'know, it's bad) Voporak asks, "If you had to do it all over again, would you?" to which the player can respond that they would or that they've decided it wasn't worth it. For the first, Voporak will say something about hoping that the player's Federation will someday learn a few things from the player. For the latter, Voporak says something like "Then I guess you don't see it my way after all." which isn't as creepy as the one in the good branch.
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)

Last edited by voporak; 01-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 2
10-06-2013, 08:38 PM
So just completed my initial test play-through of your mission frenemy.

Besides 2 very small typos and a few better-for-life improvements, I didn't find anything wrong with this mission in terms of functionality.

This mission is very story heavy as said in the synopsis.

I did notice a few maps that could be described as the "One-shot wonders."

I had some authors tell me about these and they generally try to avoid them. You do one thing on the map and all that happens is just another loading screen.

This mission did take a little even though it was mainly dialogue. I did find the surprise space battle at the end nice. I also enjoyed the various cameos of your friends and references to the devs and hints at lines from previous star trek movies.

The dialogue was certainly written better than mine.

I gave a 5/5.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 3
10-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Minor fixes implemented, I'll get to work adding details and fun little atmosphere enhancements tomorrow.
Quote:
Quote:
Empire Veteran
# 4
10-06-2013, 08:52 PM
You'll have to tell me about 'em.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
10-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I'll go try it in a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
10-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Cool description!! I've added your mission to my list as you requested .
And yes, I've read your spoilers. It makes me even more want to play this mission, haha.

PS; I never knew you did foundry missions as well!
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Captain
# 7
10-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutes View Post
Cool description!! I've added your mission to my list as you requested .
And yes, I've read your spoilers. It makes me even more want to play this mission, haha.

PS; I never knew you did foundry missions as well!
I, uh, I don't. This was my first real one. Lol.
Quote:
Quote:
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
10-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Cool , so how was the experience? Did it went pretty smooth or are you struggling with the foundry?
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Captain
# 9
10-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutes View Post
Cool , so how was the experience? Did it went pretty smooth or are you struggling with the foundry?
It wasn't so bad, since I've worked with the foundry before in failed scraps of missions. There are some things I don't know how to do, like make ships wander around in space (and NPCs on ground, if possible).
Quote:
Quote:
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Quote:
It wasn't so bad, since I've worked with the foundry before in failed scraps of missions. There are some things I don't know how to do, like make ships wander around in space (and NPCs on ground, if possible).
You may actually already know how to make things wander -- but you won't see it happen in the Foundry editor. Wander requires significant pre-processing of your maps to determine where the wandering ships and NPCs can safely go within the parameters that you set. It's beyond what the Foundry preview can do. If you want to playtest wandering NPCs, you need to publish your mission and play it within STO.

From what I've read, it's actually the calculation of paths for wandering NPCs and the designation of "safe" walk areas for your BOFFs that takes up the majority of the processing time when publishing a mission.