Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,764
# 301
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys, I now have a mental image of The Doctor riding a VATA, directing Photon torpedoes and Photonic Cannon blasts at random targets, screaming HIGHWAY TO HELL all the way, before beaming out at the last minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,444
# 302
10-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Hmm....

15km range, applied in pulses every 5 seconds, buff lasts 10-15s?

Might even give it the sonar pong every time it fires off.
More or less what I was suggesting before the semantic argument although I'd be tempted to have a chain effect rather than go the full 15k.

Or maybe make buff receptiveness a stat. That's in effect part of what resilience did in WoW after a fashion, beyond its more obvious role as a stat that segregated PvP and PvE.

(The basic setup there from my hazy memory was that they loaded players down with abilities that debuffed healing. They loaded PvP gear with crits. And they loaded PvP gear with resilience, a stat that offered resistance against crits and healing debuffs. This made using PvE gear in PvP dangerous and using PvP gear in PvE like using gear that was a full tier below PvE gear because stats were allocated towards PvP only stats. This had a brief side effect at a couple of points of making PvP gear desirable tanking gear because crits generated more threat over time than equal DPS in smaller hits and some raid enemies were very threatening due to crit and debuff potential.)

So maybe a ship could have gear... or just an innate ship modifier that determines the range it receives buffs at.

So a 1.0 mod equals, say, 10 km buff range. This is what cruisers get. 0.5 for escorts. 2.0 for sci vessels. Instead of just having it not affect shuttles, give them a smaller buff range and intensity modifier like 0.25.

You could introduce consoles that mod this.

Range is determined by the ship receiving the buff this way.

And like several of us suggested, the buff lingers for something like 10 seconds when you go out of range.

The net result is that it encourages escorts to hide behind cruisers but hang close (and escort) while encouraging sci vessels to hang back more.

I'd also look at maybe rethinking some of the threat mechanics so that equal DPS does not equal the same threat (rate of fire and weapon type should have threat mods) and look at buffing escorts who don't have top threat and penalizing escorts who do have top threat. Like a damage penalty associated with high threat levels or a bonus associated with not being #1 in threat while on a team.

A threat meter for this would be handy.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,394
# 303
10-07-2013, 10:10 PM
The thing I'm really worried about is that this is going to lead to further power creep.

There needs to be some kind of balancing mechanic that adds a negative factor at the same time you are using these positive features.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
# 304
10-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfreddie View Post
+1 Great idea to show the game isn't just about DPS
Erm? That weapons one is ALL about DPS.

But it's nice to see cruisers finally get a use that escorts can't do, maybe my Galaxy X will finally be able to do the damage it was always intended to do. It's also nice to see ways for tanks to be able to draw fire, maybe it will help my jem dreadnought (aka damage magnet) survive if we have someone drawing fire.

Now all we need to break the tyranny of Escorts is an upgraded sci-vessel (although they seem incredibly hard to save, with minimal weapons and hull and relying solely on their shields and slowly recharging abilities).
Quote:
If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 50
# 305
10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
The thing I'm really worried about is that this is going to lead to further power creep.

There needs to be some kind of balancing mechanic that adds a negative factor at the same time you are using these positive features.
Trust me, you won't get people away from their precious escorts that easily, Making the cruiser a viable weapon won't stop the blight of escorts, although it will make the random odyssey horde a bit more useful for tanking (the oddy has some of the best tanking abilities without fleet ships).
Quote:
If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 100
# 306
10-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roebotsixtyfive View Post
Trust me, you won't get people away from their precious escorts that easily, Making the cruiser a viable weapon won't stop the blight of escorts, although it will make the random odyssey horde a bit more useful for tanking (the oddy has some of the best tanking abilities without fleet ships).
They'll flock to the "Battle Cruiser" escort now. More durable, tougher, more damage potential with 5 fore weapons... Yeah, they jump to that if they can.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,394
# 307
10-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roebotsixtyfive View Post
Trust me, you won't get people away from their precious escorts that easily, Making the cruiser a viable weapon won't stop the blight of escorts, although it will make the random odyssey horde a bit more useful for tanking (the oddy has some of the best tanking abilities without fleet ships).
Um, that isn't what I posted about. I was talking about how Comm Arrays would increase the effectiveness of Escorts.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,613
# 308
10-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Um, that isn't what I posted about. I was talking about how Comm Arrays would increase the effectiveness of Escorts.
They dont.

Really they dont, drain mechanics arent a issue for Escorts to the degree they are to Cruisers and the only thing that escorts might get is some shield resistance as long they stay near a cruiser, this mean in PvP Cruisers get their role back in, the other 2 powers arent much because maneuverability isnt a escort problem and being shoot at is nothing Escorts want to be at (I would say its useless in PvP and just helps for Cruisers to gain and hold aggro in PvE).

Your position is pretty much anything "increase the effectiveness of Escorts" regardless of actual use, for a Escort this isnt much and its not going to change tactics outside PvP were team play within 5km is now encouraged, Cryptic doesnt want to turn Cruisers into Uber Escorts and this is a solution, still not something that solves everything but at least its something that improves Cruisers.

Plus, how can this increase the effectiveness of Escorts when someone have to fly a Cruiser? after all if everyone is flying Escorts because this "increases the effectiveness of Escorts" who the hell is flying the Cruiser?
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,729
# 309
10-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
They dont.

Really they dont, drain mechanics arent a issue for Escorts to the degree they are to Cruisers and the only thing that escorts might get is some shield resistance as long they stay near a cruiser, this mean in PvP Cruisers get their role back in, the other 2 powers arent much because maneuverability isnt a escort problem and being shoot at is nothing Escorts want to be at (I would say its useless in PvP and just helps for Cruisers to gain and hold aggro in PvE).

Your position is pretty much anything "increase the effectiveness of Escorts" regardless of actual use, for a Escort this isnt much and its not going to change tactics outside PvP were team play within 5km is now encouraged, Cryptic doesnt want to turn Cruisers into Uber Escorts and this is a solution, still not something that solves everything but at least its something that improves Cruisers.

Plus, how can this increase the effectiveness of Escorts when someone have to fly a Cruiser? after all if everyone is flying Escorts because this "increases the effectiveness of Escorts" who the hell is flying the Cruiser?
Me. I will fly the cruiser. It will be amazing. I will only turn on the good stuff once the escorts have taken off out of range.

*steeples fingers* mwahahahahahaha
Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,394
# 310
10-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
They dont.

Really they dont, drain mechanics arent a issue for Escorts to the degree they are to Cruisers and the only thing that escorts might get is some shield resistance as long they stay near a cruiser, this mean in PvP Cruisers get their role back in, the other 2 powers arent much because maneuverability isnt a escort problem and being shoot at is nothing Escorts want to be at (I would say its useless in PvP and just helps for Cruisers to gain and hold aggro in PvE).

Your position is pretty much anything "increase the effectiveness of Escorts" regardless of actual use, for a Escort this isnt much and its not going to change tactics outside PvP were team play within 5km is now encouraged, Cryptic doesnt want to turn Cruisers into Uber Escorts and this is a solution, still not something that solves everything but at least its something that improves Cruisers.

Plus, how can this increase the effectiveness of Escorts when someone have to fly a Cruiser? after all if everyone is flying Escorts because this "increases the effectiveness of Escorts" who the hell is flying the Cruiser?

The Best PvP Teams, always had a strong Cruiser captain providing heal support. And 5km is still a very effective team when you need to stay close for heals and Extend Shield support.

In PvE, this new Cruiser support is easily going to make CE Elite, ESTFs and even NWS a bit easier with since you can easily stay within 5km during these events.


So my assessment stands, it will lead to further power creep.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM.