Lt. Commander
Attention Coderanger,

It has been mentioned many times during open beta, that the power management facilities within windows 7 x64 in regards to Lan Power Management affect game connection stability, I was able to recreate this problem myself and advised a dev via IRC, he asked me to post this here for your review,

The power management facilities within Windows 7 x64 cause regular server timeouts when playing STO. It happened around 8 times in the space of an hour when playing during Open Beta. After disabling Power Management on my Lan Card there were 0 disconnection the following hour, I dont know if this is because STO does not require a consistent connection to the shard or not but it seems that after a certain amount of time the card powers down and then STO seems to disconnect.

To fix this as mentioned before i either lowered the power management level in Windows 7 or disabled it completely both options resulted in a fix for the issue.

I havent tested this on a desktop system but both my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Loaded Notebooks were affected, my Windows XP SP2 notebook did not seem affected regardless of the power management settings.

Thanks,

Paul.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Weird.

I don't get why Win7 would power down LAN after such a short time of no network activity with relation only to STO. Never had an issue with that before. What were you doing ingame? How can there even be enough of a communication gap to trigger this?

Turning off my laptop's LAN power management just in case til this is clarified. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
I've never had any such disconnections on my Win 7 machine. Power plan was set to Balanced, which has been kept at its default settings.

Strange problem, even stranger fix. Glad you worked it out though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium4ever View Post
I've never had any such disconnections on my Win 7 machine. Power plan was set to Balanced, which has been kept at its default settings.

Strange problem, even stranger fix. Glad you worked it out though.
Yeah well your set at balanced, so your fine, this works fine for me too, its for people that have it set to maxumum power savings.

That was the point, as not many people have it set like that its not a massively common issue, but its been mentioned a few times.

I mentioned it to a dev, simply as some information for the manual or troubleshooting FAQ they are or may be setting up , im sure the coderanger will decide what to do with the information.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedsTrek View Post
its for people that have it set to maxumum power savings..
Ahhh... Might not be the LAN then.