Lt. Commander
# 1201
01-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_Draken
i wonder what their doing to the servers now??
Hopefully adding more
Lt. Commander
# 1202
01-31-2010, 04:15 PM
What dumb a$$ had the idea of putting people in a que when you log on?! Are they really serious about keeping this for when the game goes live on the 2nd?

If Cryptic can't handle this kind of load on the servers for the game now, then they need to turn it over to another company that would definitely do better than what they are doing so far.

For being a lifetime member, if this is what I have to look forward too, I think my lifetime membership needs to come to an early death and get the full refund back.

I now have a new definition for the word "FAILURE"... IT"S CRYPTIC.
Lt. Commander
# 1203
01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Has the headstart started ? As the servers seem to be down a lot so maybe we are still in Beta ??
Lt. Commander
# 1204
01-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSeussFreak View Post
you think it will get better when the masses logon in addition to us head-starters?
that was sarcasm...
Lt. Commander
# 1205 Bonus Extra Day Head Start
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
They announced somewhere about increasing the Head start an extra day thanking everyone for thier effort in BETA, as you all know. Now I understand WHY!!! Its because of the amount of times and hours the servers have been down!! Goooood thinking!!! (so dont be foolled about the extra Headstart time)
Lt. Commander
# 1206
01-31-2010, 04:41 PM
I said it before, I'll say it again.

I've played many MMORPGs from beta through launch, starting from the Everquest days and onward. I've witnessed these issues with every game that launched that I was a part of. I've seen it take weeks and months before the game company managed to support the proper scale in hardware (and software - some of you may remember SWG's initial database problems, one of which was a simple concurrent-user licensing issue with the SQL database).

Then there's the Internet connection for their servers too. I've seen issues happen there as well, once the game scaled up. That's an area that may still bite STO in the butt when it's officially released.

With that said, I still believe that the first three or four MMORPG trailblazers could honestly cite those issues as legitimate learning curves. However, after so many MMORPG games have been released already and especially when the company has experience with other titles already in operation, I really don't expect to see scale problems anymore. The trail's been blazed by dozens and dozens of companies already. What's the excuse this time?

I consider this to be similar to what I call "customer-driven maintenance". It's like when a server admin decides that the daily maintenance or log-review work on a server doesn't need to be done - he just waits for a customer to call with a problem before he does anything. Sometimes I wonder if the administrator just has no life and wants the recognition of fixing problems, rather than preventing them. Our company deals with this by firing people that exhibit this behavior. The fact is, pro-active is always better than re-active and much cheaper too.

For the folks who jumped right into the lifetime or one year subscriptions, I assume you were beta testers. Otherwise that was quite foolish on an untried game. However, either way, all the games I was a part of eventually stabilized and moved into normal operation after a few weeks (or in rare cases, months). From a lifetime subscription perspective (or even a year), it won't seem so bad later, although it's frustrating a hell right now. So, stiff upper lip, chap.
Lt. Commander
# 1207
01-31-2010, 04:48 PM
You have a good point and i agree that while it is anoying not being able to play we do need to give them time to fix issues with a new game. and hey as a lifetime member its not costing me any more money so i can afford to wait, the game is paid for.
Lt. Commander
# 1208
01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414Tm...eature=related

Watch this vid to pass time its worth a few laughs...hahahaha
Lt. Commander
# 1209
01-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that if you start your patchers now, you will be able to download the latest and greatest so that you're ready for tomorrow mornings big event! Everyone here is incredibly excited, and we can't wait to see you all in-game tomorrow!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Is it really going to be awesome or will it be another tainted experience where only those lucky enough not to be stuck in a QUEUE or crash and then be stuck in a QUEUE or be disconnected while waiting in a QUEUE and go to the end of the QUEUE can play?

"Welcome to Star Treak Online! Your QUEUE position is 712 of 760! Please check out our special Lifetime subscription offer for a limited time, because soon no one will want one!"

Please tell me I wrong, S? Anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 1210
01-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
I am Borg. Designation 711 of 792.
LoL, thanks for that