Lt. Commander
The Cryptic team beat the dreaded Star Trek curse, what was it, every third movie and every second game fell short, I have been trying to catch up where I left off on the open beta, and it seems, since the beta, that the head start is failing worse then the beta. Dont get me wrong, they hit it right on the money here, I think the bean counters under estimated just how popular this would be. Please someone kick the bean counter in the butt! We are now in a session where we paid for the game, these are supposed to be the production servers, thinkin ya fell short on hardware and bandwidth. {not the best incentive to purchase a $200.00 lifetime membership, especially when the website servers are suffering too}
Great concept of the game, have me addicted, however, fix the hardware and bandwith issues.
Lt. Commander
# 712
01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
You would think Cryptic would take the data from Open Beta & End of Beta Event to see how many active players there were on the servers. Which in between Tuesday - Friday would give them plenty of time for them to upgrade all of the hardware to overcompensate the massive capacity of every player.

Now to respond back to the earlier argument about no one arguing or whining about WOW servers being down during maintenance. That patch - rolling restarts of servers occur every week in the same time frame on a very consistent routine. All of the paying customers have grown accustomed to it and have begun to respect the developers for it. Because if you look at it, very rarely the servers go down any other time except on Tuesday. The occasional server will have to have a rolling restart, but other than that. It's limited to within that time frame, I think Cryptic is scrambling to get everything flawlessly ready for Tuesday.
By this large rush, the developers are not going to post every down time, especially if it was unplanned.

I.E. "Local technician trips over Ethernet cord breaking the harness connection on the Ethernet card adapter. So then instead of going out to the retail store to purchase a new card, since these techs live in or near silicon valley. They believe it's more cost effective to re-solder and build a new card better than before"

This is my theory of why Murphy's Law is so crucially important in every task we do!
Lt. Commander
# 713
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Lagging out badly tonight....where are the servers based?US i geuss...whe in Europe will have problems with major lag in the future.
And its still headstart weekend....imagine what will happen when the rest of the world connects....game over...
Lt. Commander
# 714
01-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shidasko View Post
[...]
Now to respond back to the earlier argument about no one arguing or whining about WOW servers being down during maintenance. That patch - rolling restarts of servers occur every week in the same time frame on a very consistent routine.
[...]
Pulling maintenance as an argument for a games launch is comparing two completely different situations.
Compared from what happened until now WoW had worse issues when it launched. Even at it's second "launch" in Europe there were many unexpected downtimes and overcrowded waiting queues.
But that is something that many (WoW) players don't know - or remember.

I said it before elsewhere: We will see what happens on Tuesday and Friday, but so far this has been the smoothest MMO launch I've seen n the last two years.
Lt. Commander
# 715
01-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Comparing the launch of WOW with the launch of STO is dumb...the way servercapacity and strenght is grown in the years!.i just hope they have seperat servers....US...Europe..Asia.Or else whe will have laggy times ahead.
Lt. Commander
# 716
01-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Ok thanks for helping me out I appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 717
01-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Headstart is turning out to be just a large scam from where I am sitting...

When you pre-order, you are putting your money down and saying you will buy the game no matter what as soon as it is available. In exchange you get to start a few days ahead of the normal retail member. You get those few extra days to start building your character, as well as certain special items to help you get started.

However, what we have here is just a paid post-open, pre-release, non-whipe closed beta. Yes, you can start your character early, but you can not have the pre-order items until release when you have already out leveled them, and you have to wait until the head start is over to make your Trill or Borg BO, thus missing the entire headstart.

These are not "Pre-order exclusive bonuses" as they keep claiming, but rather "Limited retail bonuses that can later be bought through the C store at a later time anyway" bonuses.

I'm annoyed, personally, that you do not get your pre-order items during the pre-order period. I want to play a joined Trill. I pre-ordered so I could get a few days headstart with my character before the rest of retail came in the game. I paid for that. Now, they say that I have to not play at all and wait for retail to make my character, thus sitting out the headstart all together, or simply not use the items and bonuses I paid for and play without. If that was made known before, why would I bother to get the pre-order at all?

Very disappointing to be scammed before the game really even starts, and worse yet by the company making the game itself after such a long wait and so much anticipation, and that's how I am feeling: Scammed.
Lt. Commander
# 718
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RAGE_ View Post
Comparing the launch of WOW with the launch of STO is dumb...the way servercapacity and strenght is grown in the years!.i just hope they have seperat servers....US...Europe..Asia.Or else whe will have laggy times ahead.
Single server capacity does not mean anything at all. It just is about the need to add more or less servers to the farm to get the same value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torus View Post
[...] wait until the head start is over to make your Trill or Borg BO, thus missing the entire headstart. [...]
I could perfectly create my Trill from head start on. So if this may be an issue for some people, but not all.
Lt. Commander
# 719
01-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I was there for the WoW launch,it was pretty bad.You have to take into account though,noone ever expected the responce it was going to get.MMOS these days should be prepared for a massive response.
Lt. Commander
# 720
01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torus View Post
Headstart is turning out to be just a large scam from where I am sitting...

When you pre-order, you are putting your money down and saying you will buy the game no matter what as soon as it is available. In exchange you get to start a few days ahead of the normal retail member. You get those few extra days to start building your character, as well as certain special items to help you get started.

However, what we have here is just a paid post-open, pre-release, non-whipe closed beta. Yes, you can start your character early, but you can not have the pre-order items until release when you have already out leveled them, and you have to wait until the head start is over to make your Trill or Borg BO, thus missing the entire headstart.

These are not "Pre-order exclusive bonuses" as they keep claiming, but rather "Limited retail bonuses that can later be bought through the C store at a later time anyway" bonuses.

I'm annoyed, personally, that you do not get your pre-order items during the pre-order period. I want to play a joined Trill. I pre-ordered so I could get a few days headstart with my character before the rest of retail came in the game. I paid for that. Now, they say that I have to not play at all and wait for retail to make my character, thus sitting out the headstart all together, or simply not use the items and bonuses I paid for and play without. If that was made known before, why would I bother to get the pre-order at all?

Very disappointing to be scammed before the game really even starts, and worse yet by the company making the game itself after such a long wait and so much anticipation, and that's how I am feeling: Scammed.
A scam indicates a con of somekind, and indicating as such without proof is libel.

The server is down, no big deal, just chill a little. When people bought ****, they couldnt play it as there was no capacity, WoW crashed in both the US, and thne Eu releases, WAR was a horrible realise of long queues and uber-bugs.

If you actually think in anyway, shape or form this is intentional, or Cryptic dont really care that the product that have spent years developing is having issues, and all they want is a quick injection of cash.. you really are a bit loopy