Empire Veteran
# 11
10-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
What do you guys mean?
Because that one DOFF might not seem like a lot. It may seem so small, so simple, so...innocuous.

But it's a lot more than most people think. Have you ever had a build where you get all it all nice and set up, then think to yourself, 'Boy, I wish I could use X DOFF or Y DOFF, but for my build to work I need Z DOFF'.

That extra DOFF will make a big difference. Now you will be able to slot that extra DOFF you were wanting. Sure for some builds, might not be a huge change, like adding in an extra SDO DOFF for the shield heal when you hit BFI. But there are other much stronger DOFFs out there.

Sure, PvE-wise it might not matter so much. It's another bit of creep between the 'haves' and have nots', but PvE is pretty easy if you know what you are doing.

PvP-wise is where it will be the biggest. Not just between 'haves' and 'have nots', but all the opportunities that will put in for builds is huge. One DOFF doesn't seem like much, but it's huge.

Captain
# 12
10-13-2013, 11:04 AM
It'll allow me to finally combine 3 DCE doffs with 2 TT doffs and a GW doff.

Or: to finally slot 6 doffs that do half of what A2B does, on my science ship.
Captain
# 13
10-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Mimey said it better than I could

This is a massive change

Most Pve builds don't really need doffs to work they just add icing

But pvp doffs are just as important if not more important than elite fleet shields or gear they literally make the difference(build wise not pilot wise)
----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====----
Captain
# 14
10-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately this game just isn't a PvP game, the only thing neglected more so than PvP are the Klingons. Don't get me wrong I don't think PvP should be neglected but really this game isn't balanced for PvP nor for the high end PvE players either.

We're all too powerful already and it's balanced against the common player who plays on a weekend and has trouble getting optional in ISN.

Best thing to do is either accept it all as cheese, OP and have fun with exotic never seen lolz builds or give up now because it's only going to continue all this creep. Try doing things like organised T2 ship PvP or something and make your own fun, just about the only thing you can do with end game becoming God mode for those who have all the toys.

Point is we're all too powerful if we know how to play and end game just isn't balanced for us, best thing to do is not rage on the devs but help make it better and help them impliment the changes THEY WANT in a balanced way.
------
It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
This is the last thing I will post.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
10-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I am realy not feeling so doom and gloom about this one. Cryptic introduced duty officers as 'minor' ways to improve our abilities lol, and since then they have been laughably passing off OP duty officers as 'balance tweaks'for underutilized abilities.

Having 6 slots instead of 5 isn't going to make our situation any worse. Hear is my reasoning.

We have the option of building our ships to maximize or minimize their efficiency.

Some players are very good at determining which builds maximize efficiency.

Some players are very bad at determining which builds maximize efficiency or do not care to maximize their efficiency.

Therefore their is a huge difference in the performance exhibited by different players.

Laws prevent us from conducting dangerous brain alteration procedures upon those people who are very bad at determining builds which maximize efficiency.

Therefore, if we agree that this disparency is undesirable then, our most obvious solution is to limit the choices available to us when we build our ships, removing those options which do not approach or meet our own stringent criteria for 'efficient' categorization.

Personaly I would prefer the disparency to persist rather then limit our options. I like building ships in different ways, its fun.

Wether we have 5 or 6 active doff slots isn't going to change the fact that some doffs are far more usefull then others, or that some ships and builds benefit more or less from them. The disparency already exists, the number of slots at our disposal is not the problem.

The problem is that cryptic have created a situation where doffs are essential to the usefulness not just of specific builds, not just specific abilities, but to whole ship classes.

Cryptic need to stop treating duty officers as a way to monatize game balance. Its not working, its making things worse. If they want us to pay for balance then they need to give us global projects we can all contribute zen to or something. Not only are Doffs not an acceptable way to do it, but cryptic have shown they have no idea how to use doffs for this purpose any way.

So yeah, my position: STO has huge balance problems, many of which are with doffs. But I am happy to get 6 doff slots instead of 5 as it will allows me to make slightly more complex ship builds then I am already able. I love building ships.

Last edited by pwstolemyname; 10-14-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 16
10-13-2013, 10:08 PM
I'll be happy for a 6th.

Flying cruisers mostly I have 2x conn officer permanently glued to their seats in my roster to give me effectively 2x TT1 to over come cruisers small tac boff seating arrangements. And to also bolster my engies lack of attack patterns skilling.
This puts me 2 seats down before I even think about what my build will do.

If I go 3x techs for a2b then I've no room left for a special ability of some kind. Same goes if using 3x damage controls for EPtX CDs.

As a cruiser captain, I'd welcome the 6th slot!
I believe it will allow players to experiment and come up with builds with some spice to them, instead of all being the same.
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Bulwark, Voth Fighter. Favs - Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Bastion, Nicor, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Risian Cruiser