Lieutenant
# 31
10-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Short feedback on the spire after reaching a full T3:

1. Projects
It seems as a copy of the embassy. What gets me is those 800+ doffs for each T3 upgrade project. It?s time for a "donate all" button for the doffs, going through 800 checkboxes (granted, it may differ according to the fleet size) is the synonym of user unfriendly..

Otherwise, it seems ok, although, by the logic, most of the time, you spend doing projects to provision the personnel on the spire, at least according to the info in that project, but the direct connection to the fleet starbase via shuttle has to wait till T2.. I?d expect it to be the first thing that starfleet would do.. =)

2.Interior & Exterior
First of all, no idea why you can?t get to the spire until it?s T1. From the written info, I suppose that it?s not powered up, but that should not limit you from getting to the exterior. Furthermore, why not let us get to the interior and use flashlights/exosuits? At least some exploration.. =)

Exterior - looks nice, like the one in the mission. One big bug found, there is a layer of something like ground textures that is actually flying high above the actual ground level of the spire and makes it look really akward if you come closer. It also hides the buildings that are down there. Also, any level progression is hardly seen.

Interior -I expected this to be a bit more than a single room. Granted, the stairs and railings coming from the walls are nice, reminds me of SG Atlantis.. =) It looks nice, but as in ext, there is no hint of level progression. Not sure what else will unlock with limited projects, as the map and the minimap are black, but what appears to be windows waiting for unlock looks great.

Summary - All of the holdings before the spire had a level progress that significantly changed their appearance. The spire either does not have that on tribble yet, or it?s just a really small change for the tons of dilithium it eats..

3. Equipment
It really is filled with nice new shiney toys. The tac consoles are nice, they have a pottential not to ruin the Exchange and not to be obsolete in the same time. Also good that you can change the weapon type and you won?t have to change the consoles as well..

Voth Doffs, why not. +1 ground active slot and +1 space active slot, that is a nice touch, very usefull.

Ground kits - well, we got a medic! I could see something more usefull added to it instead of biofilter sweep, something offensive to make it more versatile, but whatever. The physicist kit got and upgrade as well, which is also fine. The engi enemy neutralization kit, seems like an overkill with Mk 4 mines and a Mk 2 Mortar. Can?t comment on the rest, as I don?t play those classes very often.

Hanger pets - elite swarmers with BO3, looks powerfull, but no sign of the carrier yet, so noone knows. And the new warp cores and singularities..

That would be all for now.. =)
Commander of the Czechoslovak Fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-22-2013, 02:21 AM
After two manning the spire holding on tribble (thanks fluffy) I had to give it a few days to gather my thoughts on it.

Projects and Progression:

I am relieved that costs are back to embassy levels and not closer to the mine. Especially the provisions. As I pointed out earlier there seems to be an input error in 'Perform Emergency Drills 3' and 'Catalog Ancient Technologies 3' (i.e. Amount of spire provisions for those two should be half of current?).

What worries me a bit is that the expertise cost of the final upgrade is 25 million again. At some point that might become a problem for small fleets.

Last but not least on the projects, they could use another spelling pass, I know it's hard to get everything right dealing with a large amount of data (as Azurian gladly proved with linking the wiki page on the projects I made with all the typos in it, you 'did' see the please do not link anywhere template on the top of the page did you?) but seeing at least half a dozen different ways to say needs x department a and/or department b duty officers just rubs me the wrong way. If I recall correctly the t3 spire upgrade also says embassy provisions in the description (or was that only the mine? I might confuse that).

Rewards:

-Research:
From what I saw on the spire warpcores nothing made me want to replace my mine warpcore. They 'might' have some use in pvp I give you that but that is totally theorycrafting on my side.
The singularity cores I didn't really compare to their mine counterparts, but given that it is much harder to pick a fitting mine core for them I assume the spire cores might be slightly more useful than the warpcores.

Now to the consoles. While I wait for the real knuckleheads to run their numbers I suspect those will be a real power creep. In my experience the real damage dealers already are builds focused on crits and I am slightly afraid what the right people are able to do with those consoles. Ohh my!

-Operations:
The ground kits look fairly decent but don't make me jump around in joy. I concur on the choices for engineering and science those look well but have my beef with the tactical choices. I agree that Squad Leader was the natural choice since in my experience it is almost as popular as Fire Team and the later already was covered with the embassy, and with the addition of Suppressing Fire to Squad Leader I actually may use it once in a while again. But....
Operative as second choice?!? As if stealth ambush didn't break ground pvp enough... tsk tsk tsk.

Now the duty officers on the other hand were a real letdown. A handful of Voth Scientists with Free Thinker as a new trait and BASIC doff abilities? At the very least you could have gone the extra mile and assigned them some of the alternate powers from one of the retired doff packs. The only way you can get me to add one of them to my roster in their current form is if there is some imba must have awesomesauce assignment which absolutely requires free thinker and there is no other way to get this trait (hello voth lockbox).

What saves the operations path are the two active roster slots. They are the real prize. Without them I would nominate this as the worst holding track so far now it just feels sub par.

-Main:
Yay, fleet ships, pleasantly surprised the fleet module cost on the veteran ones is one and not four. Maybe I even buy my first fleet ship finally. :p
[edit]Kudos for making the atmospheric buff a store bought option, this will make access easier for smaller fleets.[/edit]
And yay for another costume option.... wait a minute... skirt?!?
Dear character artist: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?
Less is not always more. x_x
Please someone Gibbs-Slap the person(s) responsible.

I think that covers it. Enjoy.

Last edited by dukedom01; 10-22-2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: always forget one thing -.-
Career Officer
# 33
10-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliusnight View Post
Azur they added the resource cost breaks with the mine. They can't add something else to help with small fleets without enabling an exploit for larger fleets. Small Fleets need to band together or accept that its going to take them a long time to catch up with the larger fleets.
No, I'm positive they said that the Dilithium Mine wasn't it and they was going to add something to help small fleets with Season 8. If they changed their minds, be nice if they say something.

And large fleets are already exploiting the system in making mule fleets to farm fleet credits! Small fleets are suffering because they lost players to those large fleets or people left the game because they got tired of the grinding. And it really shows on the Klingon side because the Fleet Event queues have been dead for weeks now, even during the Fleet Mark bonus event. So it's impossible to even work on this new Fleet Holding as a KDF Small fleet!

So the only ones benefit from this starbase system now are large fleets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom01 View Post
Last but not least on the projects, they could use another spelling pass, I know it's hard to get everything right dealing with a large amount of data (as Azurian gladly proved with linking the wiki page on the projects I made with all the typos in it, you 'did' see the please do not link anywhere template on the top of the page did you?) but seeing at least half a dozen different ways to say needs x department a and/or department b duty officers just rubs me the wrong way. If I recall correctly the t3 spire upgrade also says embassy provisions in the description (or was that only the mine? I might confuse that).
Tell it to the guy who been linking it all over the STO forum.

Last edited by azurianstar; 10-22-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Captain
# 34
10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Exterior:-
Gorgeous though of course there seems to be a few unfinished textures and such.

Interior:-
It's nice but I'd have to agree with another poster in that it's smaller than expected. Then again it's not that important as we'll hardly spend time in it. Would be nice if it could directly link to the battlezone.

Spire Warp Cores:-
It's difficult to form an opinion on these at the moment without adequate opponents, specifically the power drain resistance. The EPS power transfer bonus sounds nice, but by VA rank you've probably spent points in the skill to make this bonus a bit superfluous.

I *really* need to test these vs the Voth to form a decent opinion on them. At the moment though I'm not hugely impressed.

Tactical consoles:-
Very nice indeed. Yes it's less of a damage bonus, but with 4x CrtH consoles you see a flood of crits appear when in combat.

Kits:-
Unlike the Romulan Embassy kits, all these are excellent hybrids.

Elite Obelisk pets:-
2x squadrons can take out a Borg probe easily enough, beyond that they need help (as they should). Attack Pattern Beta is rather nice as is the BO3. Probably not as useful as the elite Tholian Mesh Weaver pets, though certainly more focused.

Dyson Sphere outfit:-
The outfit is quite nice and has a crystal spires and togas feel about it (TV Tropes reference). The skirt is pretty nice, as are the top and boots. I did notice a problem with the open top option on the female toons though, where if their chest is on the larger side... Well lets just say that toon will have to walk around with a censor bar over her bust.
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 50 Engineer - Fleet Avenger
Selia - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Avenger
Toval - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Mogai

Last edited by orondis; 10-22-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Rihannsu
# 35
10-22-2013, 02:37 PM
The 'ground' seems to be about halfway up the spire for the fleet holding exterior

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps06fd632a.jpg

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Cryptic Studios Team
# 36
10-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom01 View Post
I am relieved that costs are back to embassy levels and not closer to the mine. Especially the provisions. As I pointed out earlier there seems to be an input error in 'Perform Emergency Drills 3' and 'Catalog Ancient Technologies 3' (i.e. Amount of spire provisions for those two should be half of current?)
I'm looking at both Tier 3 Small XP projects for the Embassy and the Mine. Both of these 500 XP projects require 25 Holding Provisions. There doesn't seem to be an error here.
Captain
# 37
10-22-2013, 10:40 PM
I definitely agree the doffs from the spire are very disapointing.
I like the suggestion of giving them alternate abilities. Not only does it make them more worthwhile, it adds some variety.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorngonzolla View Post
I'm looking at both Tier 3 Small XP projects for the Embassy and the Mine. Both of these 500 XP projects require 25 Holding Provisions. There doesn't seem to be an error here.
I just checked the wiki entries for both embassy and mine. 25 holding provisions for the 1,200 and 25 for the 500.

Given that the previous tier xp projects require 13/7 and 20/10 holding provisions (large/small) the jump to 25/25 just seemed odd. If that was an intentional design decision I apologize for wasting your time. However, if not (fat chance, ha ha!), the specific embassy and mine projects might need an adjustment too.
Ensign
# 39 Tactical consoles
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
To the new fleet tactical consoles...

What do the girls and guys with mixed energy weapons (beam and cannons)? Can they use consoles with lesser crit chance but the console will work for beams and cannons? It?s a really hard problem for captains with a beam or two and cannons. Other redshirts use just cannons but a lot of ships work better with beams und cannons.

Please offer a solution.
Career Officer
# 40
10-23-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm really displeased with the recent news with the new blog posted and people now posting the screens of the all 3 Tiers of Spire holdings.........I'm sorry, but all I can see is this is a total spit in the face of small fleets.

Please help the Small Fleets like you guys said you was going to with Season 8. The Klingon Queues are dead, even during the Fleet Mark Bonus event, so Klingon fleets have given up in order to play their Federation characters. And Federation small fleets are still struggling. As I said before, my own Federation Fleet just recently completed the Tier 2 Dilithium Mine, which has been months since the launch of LoR. And Large Fleets are going through content too fast and completing these new holdings within a month! Not to mention they are actually making mule fleets to earn Fleet Credits, which isn't fair for us who only have a few people and prefer it that way (there is no need for large Fleets in STO).

So small fleets have to make a choice, continue working towards Tier 3 Dilithium Mine for the discounts (which would take my fleet a year to complete) or stop where we are and begin working on the Spire so we can gain access to basic equipment?

Atmospheric Flight..............PLEASE put that in the Dyson Reputation! This is discriminatory to Fleetless players as well as Small Fleets, who have to endure this atmospheric drag!

New Tactical Consoles........... they are too OP with the Criticals, they really need nerfed. There is too much power creep introduced in the game this year that really is trivializing the game. Bad enough players are burning through Elite STFs in less than 4 minutes. These new consoles surely will reduce that even further.

Take out the skill bonus or give some kind of negative effect that balances them out. Like causing greater weapon drain, or limiting players to 1 console per ship.

Please, Dev Team. Please help small fleets and those who choose opt to be fleetless and want to enjoy the new content. And help stop the increasing imbalance of the game with the power creep.

Fleet Veteran Ship..........really think we should get it for free given how much money we put into buying Lifetime Subscriptions......

Last edited by azurianstar; 10-24-2013 at 12:53 AM.