Captain
I've played Fed, Rom, and KDF all up to 50. Haven't covered every story mission, so maybe I missed something important, but is there no story with the neural parasites of TNG's "Conspiracy"? Data's last comment on that episode left a wide door for their return, and I would have thought a "whom can you trust?" story arc might work well in STO.
Career Officer
# 2
10-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Hmm, well they do show up again in the DS9 novels, but that would make an interesting story arc or Foundry series.
Vice Admiral Damielle Zell, Commander of the ISS Kempton; "the Night Flier" to our Romulan and Reman Allies.
Lieutenant General Tallia, Commander of the IKS Sword of Chal
Vice Admiral D'marin, Commander of the RWW Raven, Survivor of Remus
Rear Admiral Anyara Jale, Commander of the USS Matt Franklin, Corps of Engineers
Captain
# 3
10-16-2013, 08:08 PM
According to the novels, they are genetically engineered Trill Symbiotes that were supposed to have been genetically engineered to resist a certain virus, but it went horribly wrong. The symbiotes took over their hosts and the Trill colonists bombarded the colony from orbit resulting in hatred between both races.
Career Officer
# 4
10-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
I would have thought a "whom can you trust?" story arc might work well in STO.
We already have that. It's called "the whole game".

A.k.a. The Undine shapeshifters.
Captain
# 5
10-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Admiral Quinn is my #1 Undine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Captain
# 6
10-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matridunadan1 View Post
We already have that. It's called "the whole game".

A.k.a. The Undine shapeshifters.
Good point. I suppose a new storyline concept would be in order if bringing in the neural parasites.

How soft canon are those novels? Even in a universe full of the bizarre, the basic concept sounds a bit stretched and far-fetched. Still, its just the basic description. Perhaps the books are really well thought out?
Captain
# 7
10-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately, IMHO the DS9 Relaunch derailed badly over time. The early parts, involving the neural parasites, were good. I especially enjoyed seeing Gul Macet develop as a character under those circumstances. But the DS9 novels...and in my personal opinion the Trek novels as a whole...lost their way over time.
-----------
Do you like story-based Foundry missions? If so, please check out my mission, "Finding Lascaux."

Captain
# 8
10-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Personally, I thought the whole 'Neural Parasites are related to the Trill' thing was kind of contrived myself; especially after TNG: "The Chase" ended up with a bunch of humanoid races, despite major differences like three different based bloods, being related.

"Oh, so many humanoids are related, the Kzinti and Caitians are related, let's make the different symbiote species related too!"

It weakened the Parasites, in my opinion. They had potential, despite what the producers thought, as this mysterious race that were doing what they thought was the right thing and their version of peaceful co-existance - except their interpretations weren't the same as ours'/the Federation's... the novels basically turned them into a outcasts seeking revenge on their former people for an experiment gone wrong - B-movie plot, if you ask me.

What's next; the Gorn and Saurian going to turn out to be off-shoots of the Voth that didn't end up in the Delta Quadrant?
----
Proud Supporter of the Yeager-type.
Rihannsu
# 9
10-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I hope that if the Neural parasites ever come back that they'd be given a proper role as villains.

I didn't like them being cast as offshoots of the Trill simply because of how drastically different they are from Trill symbionts. It just doesn't makes sense for them to be an offshoot of the same race. Trill symbionts are kinda like hagfish, soft and squishy. The Neural Parasites in conspiracy looked like insects. Also they had different ways of bonding with their hosts, the Symbionts act as a second brain to help their host work better, the parasites take over completely. Even more importantly, the parasites could seemingly use any humanoid as a host with no issues. Trill Symbionts can't live in non-Trill hosts indefinitely. ANOTHER thing is that Trill Symbionts don't have a queen form. The Neural Parasites do. Aside from the symbiote thing.... the two races have no similarities at all.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 10
10-17-2013, 09:18 PM
P_Sutherland (thay8472 in forum guise) has some excellent foundry missions about a race that appears to have some relationship with the neural parasites...

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post

What's next; the Gorn and Saurian going to turn out to be off-shoots of the Voth that didn't end up in the Delta Quadrant?
SSSHH! Don't give them any ideas!

Last edited by sander233; 10-17-2013 at 09:24 PM.