Lt. Commander
# 391
11-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Don't miss it!

Or better yet... Don't just read about it: be a part of it!

All fleet members can create their own RP characters on Starbase 10, Lotus Fleet HQ, or apply to serve as a bridge officer (including Chief medical officer) on any of the current RP ships launched:

USS Lotus: Intrepid class, flagship of the fleet
USS McKenzie: Defiant class, patrolling the borders of the UFP and both Klingon and Romulan Empires
USS Spectre: Akira class, packed with fighter-shuttles, torpedo launchers and a unique stealth technology.
USS Alsea: Prometheus class, the most powerful and advanced warship of the fleet
USS Artemis: Ambassador class, refited long range exploration vessel of legend

And new crews may call for new ships!

Even cadets waiting to be recognized as fleet members upon graduation can immediately start RPing on the USS Aurora, Nebula class, the Lotus Fleet Academy starship, while going about their fun and educative courses!

And RP is but ONE of the many ways you can enjoy yourself, and help to the enjoyement of others within the fleet. Even beyond the Star Trek universe!

Come take a look at www.lotusfleet.com
Lt. Commander
# 392
11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
There are some exciting crafting changes in store for those of us who enjoy that aspect of the game. Check out dstahl's comments here (linky).

Also, we're working on setting up a Lotus Fleet Foundry team. This team will be making some user-generated missions, and we hope to make content that will be top-notch. If you want a sneak peek at what those might look like, check out some of our RP stories in our Fleet Role-play section (linky here).
Lt. Commander
# 393
12-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Congratulations are in order!

At our last fleet meeting, there were a number of awards and promotions announced.

BLZBUB was promoted to Lt. Commander! Woot!
Snowfire was promoted to Senior Chief Petty Officer. Congrats!
Commander Storm Windfall graduated Command school--that is awesome!

Fleet Cpt. Battle Lion and Selcar both received newsletter awards for their contributions to the Lotus Fleet Newsletter.

A number of people received longevity awards:

Captain A. Pagliaro: 1 year, 3 months
Lt. Commander Jureth: 3 months
Lt. JG Mindblade: 9 months
Lt. JG Sorripto: 9 months
Provisional Admiral Dominik Kale - 2 years, 9 months longevity.
Petty Officer 3rd Class Calcyon - 3 month longevity
Provisional Captain Gryffin - 2 years, 3 months
Rear Adm. Crist - 1year 9 month
Fleet Cpt. Teancum 1 year 6 month
Ensign boyce - 1 year, 9 months longevity
Chief Petty Officer Elliago - 1 year, 6 months longevity
Provisional Captain Samual Fisher - 1 year, 9 months longevity
Lt. Brigham- 6 Months

Congratulation to all and thank you for your service and time given to Lotus Fleet!
Lt. Commander
# 394
12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Our fleet meeting is happening now.

Congratulations to Storm Windfall, who was promoted to Captain tonight!
Lt. Commander
# 395
12-09-2010, 07:24 AM
We're looking forward to episode replay coming out today--if anyone would like to join us for replaying some of the early missions, come visit us. We'll get started around 10pm EST, barring any problems with the update/server.
Lt. Commander
# 396
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Our fleet meeting is tonight at 10pm Eastern on Teamspeak. Capt. Pagliaro is stepping down as our Fleet Affairs Officer due to Real Life attacking him, so tonight we are congratulating him on his retirement (even if we don't want him to leave the post!) and saying 'Thank You!' to him.
Lt. Commander
# 397
12-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Congrats to a number of folks this week!

Promotions this week:
Red Nomad was promoted to MCPO

Awards given this week:
Provisional Ensign Talon - 2 years, 6 months longevity
Ensign James Picard - 9 month longevity
Petty Officer 1st Class MRall - 3 month longevity
Provisional Vice Admiral Niomo Lire - 2 years, 9 months longevity
Lt. Commander
# 398
12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Our fleet meeting is set for 10:30 pm tonight as a reminder to our fleet members. Come get the latest fleet news.

I'll be in game tonight at some point if anyone needs to contact me for more info: @JaeOnasi.
Lt. Commander
The greatest fun of RP, be it in forum form as here or the more classical tabletop format or even LARP (Live Action Role Playing), is to build an imaginary personality and biography and make it a moving part of an ongoing story, with main plot elements (like finding a solution to the plot) as well as little details on the side (like things from personal flashbacks to thoughts, dreams. personal logs etc).

Our Lotus Fleet Star Trek roleplaying format is most ideal for this: instead of having random individualistic and unrelated characters haphazardly meeting in a tavern for some supposedly common goal (the classic ''starting dungeon set up''), we have dedicated and similarily focused characters (Starfleet officers) not only working towards the same overall goal (serving the Federation and its ideals through Starfleet) but each having a definite and crucial role within the story (starship rank and duty) and, most of all, a beleivable and implicit reason to be together and work together.

Sorripto tells us he knows about engineering, science and Trek and use this knowledge to contribute to the story; I am also a lifetime Trekker with knowledge in martial arts, History and sciences: this allows us both to enrich stories through our characters and thus build fun for ourselves by sharing what we love, and thus the fun, with all, players and readers alike.

But such extra knowledge is NOT mandatory for both fun and meaningful contribution: this is the computer age. Anyone can become a Trek expert and a credible-sounding tactician, historian, engineer, doctor or scienctist in minutes, at least enough to RP one. The internet provides all the information you might want to write interesting posts with just a few clicks. Just using things like Memory Alpha and Wikipedia will instantly provide ideas and content for posts in a Star Trek story.

Writer's block in LF Star Trek RP is the easiest thing to break : the setting is well established already; then, take your job description (i.e. security), take the plot (i.e. rescue operation) or even just the ship (i.e. tactical sensors), look something up relevant to one (i.e. Memory Alpha: Ambassador class starship) or the other (i.e. Wikipedia: naval rescue operations) or both (i.e. watch some relevant Trek episode) and write it down as your character would say and do it (i.e. ex-convict Andorian shen soldier hard at reforming herself). Et voila! Instant quality post!

Star Trek is richly detailed and expansively developped. It talks about RL science, projected technology and the Human experience (even if you are playing an alien: you're still talking about the human experience but from a specific imaginary angle). Much easier to talk about than some undefined ''magic,'' anachronistic equipement (bola-using druid...) and weird imaginary creatures (what's a Merrow? How does it think, feel? what does it want, do, cope with? etc).

By assuming a specific role in one starship crew, LF RP allows the easiest, most convenient and believable setting for RP. Moreover, the established Starfleet rank structure is easily transposed as, not just some imaginary ''XP points'', but actual goals and rewards for the player as well as their character: through successive stories, the character rises in rank, build both RP experience and character experience, personality, relationships and history until ready to captain a ship (lead a RP story as GM) and bring other players into the fun... or, like Spock, keep to his specific field and become '' teh best First officer in Lotus Fleet and best science officer in Starfleet'', as one might prefer.

So people: enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 400
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Thank you Adm. Kheren! It's so nice to have the encouragement, because I was one of the biggest chickens when it came to getting involved in RPing. I finally tried it out, and now I'm having a blast RPing not just one character, but several.

Just as a heads up for everyone--there is NO Lotus Fleet meeting tonight, since so many of our officer-members are enjoying the holidays with family and friends. However, we are still gaming together, and I suspect we'll have an impromptu game night tonight for those of us still at home. Please join us on Teamspeak no matter what game you're playing--it's fun to chat with our fleetmates!