Rihannsu
# 101
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
The Founders needed expendable shock troops, so they genetically engineered a breed of soldier from some kind of primitive reptilian species and endowed them with intelligence, stealth, and loyalty.

The Voth needed expendable shock troops, so they genetically engineered a breed of soldier from some kind of primitive reptilian species and endowed them with speed, advanced weapons, and cybernetic control.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 102
10-16-2013, 01:34 PM
General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton

Last edited by adjudicatorhawk; 10-16-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Captain
# 103
10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Ignore the "I'm an elite, discerning gamer because I bash everything you do" whiners. The Voth were a good idea, and a welcome addition to the variety.
Career Officer
# 104
10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
I shoot anything BORG Klinks Roms Fed's so why not a few dinosaurs
I it's fun i'm looking forward to it
Survivor of Romulus
# 105
10-16-2013, 01:38 PM
We have giant apes attacking people in colony invasion, chunks of lava that can write on the ground with their own bodily fluids, we have lizards and two types of cat running around the galaxy, elves (Vulcans and Romulans), dwarves (Tellarites) and I'm pretty sure I saw a Predator lookalike (Nausicaan) walking around on Qo'nos. I think dinosaurs are not too much of a stretch of the imagination.

I say we wait for it to be released and give it a chance rather than complain about it, for all we know, it could be the best series Cryptic has ever done and there could be some awesome rewards but we don't know so criticising something that we've yet to even play is not productive.
Career Officer
# 106
10-16-2013, 01:38 PM
I feel like the same masses complaining about the new enemies are the same shiny object coveting mouth breathers that thought voting for Voyager as a source for new content would be a good idea, even though it was at best a side story about a small ship stuck in a distant part of the galaxy that no one would ever want to visit with absolutely no strategic value to any of the warring alpha quadrant powers, dealt almost entirely with single episode enemies, and was completely irrelevant to any part of the story as we know it thus far.

So now that we voted, the devs got one of those one episode enemies to work worth, and while they may be not as cool as say, the Devore or something, at least they aren't going to be nearly pushed to extinction by a Buck Rodgers holodeck program any time soon.

And now we're also mad because we're fighting dinosaurs, after voting for a series where honestly, dinosaurs were one of the most threatening powers faced by the protagonists. Top ten, at least.

Never mind the fact that it actually makes sense because the Voth left at a time when reptilian life was the dominant life form on the planet, so it makes sense that any species they domesticated or engineered or whatever would also be reptilian, we don't like it because we see it and throw logic out the window, instead thinking only of lawyers on toilets being eaten in one gulp by a giant robotic t rex with a taste for Mercedes tires.

Greek gods in space, interstellar travel in bajoran sailing vessels, 2 species of lizard person, zombie cyborg robots, planet annihilating sentient crystals, neck pinches, pet rocks with acid blood, so much more ridiculousness are all canon, but our personally held stigmas and opinions about dinosaurs make anything less evolved than a gorn taboo, and we have the authority to declare just what is canon in a series that is historically known for its far out imagination. I love this logic.

Anyway, the art looks good, the enemies sound fun, I can't wait to play some new content, hopefully something 2800/Romulan Mystery sized and no more of this skimpy Borg/breen/Undine less than ten missions garbage. I bet that tyrannosaur's going to do some interesting things when it comes to collision detection and traversing the environment that was designed for much smaller characters.

Combat pets/Fleet reinforcements for the mechs and dinos, and Voth Boffs and parts in the alien generator please!

Also, FE news soon please?

Last edited by killdozer9211; 10-16-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Captain
# 107
10-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Whatever. My band of untrained refugees will still roll them easily, and that's the stupidest part of the game
Ensign
# 108
10-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Now, if we only can get those Sharks.
Captain
# 109
10-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post
Wow.. Iam almost embarrassed to play this game now... those screens look like another game.. and nothing to do with startrek... this could actually make me quit this game... and no you cant have my stuff.

Like for realz... dino's.... when is that star citizen launching.. sigh.
We need to get a fleet or something going over there called, xSTO. :p
<--------------------> <--------------------> <-------------------->
Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
Commander
# 110
10-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!

Hey as long as you can ask bran about my own Dino Zord i'm fine with the voth.