Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,350
# 111
10-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!
I respect your view and I can understand what you guys are trying to do and it does makes sense but still... dino's are the last thing "in my game play" that I want to see. It brings the level of view "to me" for the game from way up high.. down to a kiddies game. I'm 33, sure theres other people around my age level that may like this but sorry.. this is something I really dont want to see.

Ill defenetly give it a shot. See what the content is like but honestly.. dino's... yeah just a bad bad idea in my view and one that actually force me out of the game. I know that may sound abit of a harsh reaction but.. yeah a trex walking around with a mini gun laser shooting people... might as well put big bird in the game with a phaser assault rifle.

I do hope others enjoy the new enemy and what it brings. Seems there is a few dozen out there that do like the idea.. but this player doesn't.. sorry
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 688
# 112
10-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Whatever. My band of untrained refugees will still roll them easily, and that's the stupidest part of the game
By the time your band of "untrained refugees" has gotten to the Dyson Sphere they are, narratively, quite well trained and experienced even if they're not walking around in military uniforms and formations wearing spiffy uniforms.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 505
# 113
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Okay...

That looks awesome!
And I mean REAL AWESOME!

And I do hope that they play awesome... and that we need real tactics or "surprises" to defeat a Rex that size and not just "Standard" Maco/Omega Equipment ^^
Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,416
# 114
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!
Can we have a Sharknado Haduken and a space shark gravity well next?
<--------------------> <--------------------> <-------------------->
Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,350
# 115
10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecrook View Post
We need to get a fleet or something going over there called, xSTO. :p
Yeah no doubt. Ive been following it for awile, and was very tempted to fund it in the early days it was announced. But seeing it progress to what it is now, and there plans... and now dino's in this game.. I'm really thinking of relocating my gameplay else where. But yeah good idea though
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 119
# 116
10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!
I think the problem here is not the inclusion of dinosaurs in general. I think the problem is ONLY the T-Rex. I bet a lot of Foundry authors would even love having some generic looking raptors as additional wildlife to add variety, but the T-Rex is just waaaaay too iconic to Earth's prehistoric history to use it. And those two head-mounted laser-cannons aren't helping either, as it just screams "DinoRiders", making it feel even LESS original and, to be blunt, desperate.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,328
# 117
10-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I'm replying on mobile or I'd go into more depth but I don't think you're wrong.

I'd like cowboys and space nazis and Greek gods and the Bringloidi space Irish and the like in this game too.

But there's a big presentation difference. Trek would hit those things fast and hard and be onto something else next week. In fact, a TV show budget and presentation style encouraged moving on quickly.

With this, it's months of work and extrapolation into something that will linger and be the prime focus of the game for six months.

It won't be, "oh. Space dinosaurs this week, cowboys the next, and then six episodes aboard my ship of fairly grounded stuff."

We're going to be living inside this episode for six months.

It's not so much that Star Trek can't have a cutaway or mention or episode about space dinosaurs with lasers. It can. It's that this is going to be a disproportionate focus on something that would work best at the margins of Trek, not as the focus of six months of gameplay.
Unfortunately that is just the downside of game development, this would be the case no matter what "unusual" enemy type they wanted to add to the game, be it cowboys, nazis or Neelix. If all we did was say I don't want "X" enemy group because they're silly, or I don't like them, because we'll be fighting them for the next six months, then we'd probably only ever add in the relatively "mundane" aspects from the show, which in the long run would be a shame. Star Trek was always entertaining in that it could go from serious drama to batsh*t insanity from one week to the next.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,135
# 118
10-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!
One thing to say ...

"Dear Federation,

Let us set aside this war between us and come together for a more worthy and honorable contest.

Let's go hunt dinosaurs together and feast on their BBQed corpses.

Sincerely,

--- Klingon Empire"

Lock and Load ... Oh ... and don't forget the BBQ sauce!

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,620
# 119
10-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
You forget TOS had canon Greek Gods, Nazi-in-space, Hippies-in-space, and a lot more ridiculous things Dinosaurs is nothing really
That is true.

What NPC ranks (Neophyte, Ensign, Lieutenant, Commander, Captain) do each of these correspond to?
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 494
# 120
10-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Eff the haters and the whiners!

Bring on the dinos baby.

Yeah!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 PM.