Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Closed Thread

Ensign
# 121
10-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlalo View Post
Aye, that was pretty much my point for my thread that was merged here. This 6 hour downtime could have been used a LOT more productively with a much larger list of BUG FIXES in the patch notes. It makes no sense to have your project deployment team twiddling thumbs for 5 hours, while your netadmin and sysadmins are busy upgrading servers and networks.

In a company that wants to profit and act like they "want" to keep their servers online for their clients, it only makes sense to squeeze every drop of productivity out of a downtime you can get.

But the guy I was replying to, he doesn't get this -- in fact, he's against any bug fixes it seems from previous posts and is completely servile to PWE somehow by either being employed by them or having a brown nose.
I would have to agree with you lordlalo. I wasn't trying to nitpick reyan01, but there is a clear disconnect in your head, suggesting you have no idea how computers and MMO's work if you think infrastructure upgrades don't affect gameplay. I was simply expressing a frustration, that I think is perfectly reasonable. I wasn't attempting to spew emotional garbage, but a reasoned complaint. I "could" complain about the fact that PWE choosing to hold the DT from 5 to 11 affects me for the entire day, as I am in the eastern time zone and the game is down from 8 am to 2pm for me, but I didn't spew childish emo rage about it. I simply stated that I "FEEL" the communication could be better and that the length of the DT seems long to me, having had better experiences with other MMO's.
Empire Veteran
# 122
10-17-2013, 07:04 AM
The last patch was supposed to have the epoh mission person report back to her area, but it did not so I suggest you look on Risa for her she is most likely slacking off.
Career Officer
# 123
10-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom40s View Post
The last patch was supposed to have the epoh mission person report back to her area, but it did not so I suggest you look on Risa for her she is most likely slacking off.
Actually the last patch removed her... This one is bring her back.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 124
10-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by galies View Post
I would have to agree with you lordlalo. I wasn't trying to nitpick reyan01, but there is a clear disconnect in your head, suggesting you have no idea how computers and MMO's work if you think infrastructure upgrades don't affect gameplay. I was simply expressing a frustration, that I think is perfectly reasonable. I wasn't attempting to spew emotional garbage, but a reasoned complaint. I "could" complain about the fact that PWE choosing to hold the DT from 5 to 11 affects me for the entire day, as I am in the eastern time zone and the game is down from 8 am to 2pm for me, but I didn't spew childish emo rage about it. I simply stated that I "FEEL" the communication could be better and that the length of the DT seems long to me, having had better experiences with other MMO's.
I know that they affect gameplay! They just don't have any bearing on new content being added, which is what the 'release notes' sub-forum is for - information regarding how the work that is being done translates to what we'll see when we next log into the game itself.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 125
10-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by galies View Post
Most developers and sysadmins know it is a different rodeo but the same routine. This will always be true and has been even through my very colorful history with software development and production starting in the US Army (which fueled that passion).

I have no disconnect; you were missing the point that many bug fixes would seem to a player to be very important and would require near-zero effort on their part, in fact, as I stated I could likely fix them with some study of the source code in just a few hours, by myself. The color swatch bug for instance isn't a hard one fix, in fact I could likely tell them exactly what is wrong: 9 out of 10 the server's defined list of "acceptable" colors was either deleted or corrupted (which would explain the behavior of resetting the color to a predefined default) 1 out 10, the opticode packet is not being sent or read correctly by the server. Again, it is not very hard to add these RGB values to this (likely simple) list of colors.

The thing is, I know how versioning works. I know how QA should stop a potentially buggy release. And from what I'm seeing PWE is fumbling the ball more than not.

Again, there is no disconnect, if anything it is an intimate relationship.

We could all complain about the downtime affecting our playtime -- however and as I stated, if they show they are being productive there is no room for complaints. They know this, PWE knows this, it doesn't take a psych-analyst marketing majoring PhD to figure this out -- customers like to see their money being "spent well". And here is the cookie, if you're not on board trying to impress this on PWE, you'll likely be an arbitrary cause of STO having the "switch" flipped. You cannot maintain a healthy community with upset customers. And when you're not encouraging the community owners (PWE) to do better by using your own pocketbook, you're simply allowing things to crumble, and in a few months or years, when that dreaded day comes, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

I hate to sound all doom and gloom, but this servile nature does none of us here any good, most of all PWE.
Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.

Last edited by lordlalo; 10-17-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Captain
# 126
10-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Well I've been waiting for like 2 years to get my slipsteam 100% cool down reduction fixed on my omega set..... guess i'm used to waiting for non-fixs. Once you except that then what is not fixed wont upset you.
Ensign
# 127
10-17-2013, 07:15 AM
tehy infact has exactly same, maintenance at Newerwinter same time scheduls same message about infrastructure and logistic, and that also a Cryptic part of PWE, so it can also be because of a internal company changes.
Commander
# 128
10-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Toreth not being there has been a major impediment to getting Romulan Marks for quite a lot of people and I'm sure whatever mainainence is going on is very important, so thanks devs.

But I do have to ask....

Does this 6 hour downtime mean that the discrepancy between what the Rom Rep active power says it does and what it actually does is being fixed?

Will my ship stop becoming invisible (but only to me) on respawn under certain undefinable death conditions?

Are the uniform colour palettes and clipping issues being fixed?

Is the bug where I get team chat from a team that has been disbanded or that I have actively left being fixed?

Are all types of doffs (not just civilians) being enabled at the recruitment console on New Romulus?

Will the spawns now not bug out (stop spawning warbirds) on Azure Nebula and will they reliably spawn at least 1 scimitar and 2 Ha'paxes?

Other issues, etc...

I realize that there is a limited amount of time, but some bugs are really glaring and have been around in some cases since the thing they are associated with was put in the game. Stuff like the Rom active power... are there that many text errors in the game that there is a backlog and this one is just waiting its turn? Unless of course it's supposed to do what it says it does and the effect is at fault....

Bring back the engineering reports, that's what I say. At least it would be some kind of indication on what stuff is being looked into or what the 'to-do' list is outside of Tribble testing. Working around stuff gets annoying after a while.

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.
Commander
# 129
10-17-2013, 07:17 AM
OMG i'm so bored....

MAKE IT GO!
Ensign
# 130 updates??
10-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Guys, is it really necessary to have an update every single week? It's especially aggravating for those of us with the "patch issue" where the patch update refuses to finish, we have to delete the "live" folder at which point we can get the patch but it comes in the form of a full 7GB download which takes hours. Every time you update I basically lose a full day of playing time....
Closed Thread