Lt. Commander
# 1 I am really annoyed....really.
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
So let me see if I un derstand things clearly.

Open beta ended early this week. Today was the Headstart launch for the preorder folks.
I made a decision (which is not looking like a good one right now) to buy the Lifetime subscription.

The game was to start at 1:00PM EST and by 1:07PM EST the server crashed. It came back but
then it had login issues. Within 30 minutes, the forum is down and now, the playable Borg is not
working.

They took the C-Store offline to make it so people could play the game, great for people that didn't
spend $240 and wanted to play the Borg. I can either pick another race, play the game and then
look forward to starting all over again when the Borg is unlocked or wait till they fix it meaning, no
Headstart.

I tried to call Cryptic but no one picked up the phone and every extension I tried gave me the same
greeting, the person I tried to reach is unavailable. More like the game is unavailable.

So Cryptic, why don't you shoot me an email when the game will be up and working and I'll try back
then but in the mean time, howabout refunding me for what I paid since services have not been rendered.
You can have that money back when I have the game back, sound fair? It does to me...product for payment
not payment for a promissory note of a product.

This reminds me of a crude joke I heard in college. It goes something like this.

A wife goes to her husband and asks him for a $20 to get some dinner from the butchers shop.
The husband takes a $20 from his wallet and holds it to a mirror, says to his wife "See that reflection
in the mirror, thats your $20 and this one's mine" putting the money back into his wallet.

Later that night the husband comes home to find the table set for a king, beef, lamb and cuts of veal.
He asks where did the money come from to pay for this. The wife replies by going to the same mirror and lifting her dress She asks him if he sees something in the mirror. She tells him the one he sees in the mirror is his and this one, putting her dress back down, is the butchers.

That is what this game has become, a carrot in the mirror.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSZenica
but in the mean time, howabout refunding me for what I paid since services have not been rendered.
Uh you paid to play the game, you can play the game, you got what you paid for. If you paid that money specifically to be a borg or whatever, that's just silly.

They dont owe you anything except what you already got. If you didn;t think there would be issues within an hour of launching the game, you are incredibly naive.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately you have no ground to stand on. Read the contracts that you have agreed to up to this point. There is nothing in there about guaranteeing you have access to anything. However, there is the agreement that you will pay them $240 for your "lifetime" subscription in addition to the retail cost of the game.

Maybe in the future you should pay more attention to what the butcher is doing with your wife, and less attention to how many $20s you have in your wallet?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigatronix
Uh you paid to play the game, you can play the game, you got what you paid for. If you paid that money specifically to be a borg or whatever, that's just silly.

They dont owe you anything except what you already got. If you didn;t think there would be issues within an hour of launching the game, you are incredibly naive.
No, I expected to use that which was advertised and factored into both their price and my willingness to pay.
Playing the game is only one metric of that equation.

I also expected the game to work beyond the first 10 minutes....but after the beta experience, this expectation doesn't make me naive, it makes me an idiot.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 01:29 PM
To OP - Sshhhhh... people on this forum will think you are just trolling. It's Hitler's Germany, don't talk too loudly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rabbit
Unfortunately you have no ground to stand on. Read the contracts that you have agreed to up to this point. There is nothing in there about guaranteeing you have access to anything. However, there is the agreement that you will pay them $240 for your "lifetime" subscription in addition to the retail cost of the game.

Maybe in the future you should pay more attention to what the butcher is doing with your wife, and less attention to how many $20s you have in your wallet?
LOL!

ok, I wasn't serious about the refund, it was a joke meant to highlight the inadequacy of the current customer/provider relationship between me and Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
No, I expected to use that which was advertised and factored into both their price and my willingness to pay.

I also expected the game to work beyond the first 10 minutes....but after the beta experience, this expectation doesn't make me naive, it makes me an idiot.
That's naive. It's equivalent to purching a car from a dealership, and every week going back to the dealership and arguing with them that there's no longer any gas in your car.

"Hey, the car had gas in it when I bought it! It should have gas in it now too!"

The $$ you paid does not guarantee you access to anything, feel free to continue whining and complaining, but as I already stated, you're not "owed" anything.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:

I feel your pain pal. however it has been known for sometime that most of the pre-order bonus' would not be usable in headstart. They are working on the Borg, give it time. If you are so impatient that you got to make demands for a refund, then A) You've never played an MMO at launch before B) Have no understanding of the EULA. C) Got a long frustrating road ahead of you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:

That's crap, we paid for the headstart and we paid for the borg character we only have two character slots and don't want to wast are headstart on a character we are not going to play.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rabbit
That's naive. It's equivalent to purching a car from a dealership, and every week going back to the dealership and arguing with them that there's no longer any gas in your car.

"Hey, the car had gas in it when I bought it! It should have gas in it now too!"

The $$ you paid does not guarantee you access to anything, feel free to continue whining and complaining, but as I already stated, you're not "owed" anything.
Bad analogy---try again. Since your not playing, you have time to think of one.

Quote:
I feel your pain pal. however it has been known for sometime that most of the pre-order bonus' would not be usable in headstart. They are working on the Borg, give it time. If you are so impatient that you got to make demands for a refund, then A) You've never played an MMO at launch before B) Have no understanding of the EULA. C) Got a long frustrating road ahead of you.
The Borg was to be a part of Headstart, as defined by Cryptic. I understood the other bonuses would not be. Yes, this is my first MMO and likely, the last since they all seem like this. As I said before, I was not serious about a refund, merely pointing out that perhaps it would be fair to ask for payment once the product works, not before. I can only think of one thing right now that I would gladly buy as is...

The Chevy Volt.
Closed Thread