Lt. Commander
Hello everyone,

Iím very excited about this game, but I have a rather pressing concern that might become an issue once Star Trek Online launches, namely the server time.

I noticed that the servers for the head start would launch at 10.00AM PST. Now, I live in Europe (GMT+1) which runs ahead 9 hours of PST.

Iím assuming that, since the game headstart launches in American time zones, that the special ingame events (such as the end of beta event) and weekly maintenance also use the PST format.

Which would mean:

If Cryptic plans the weekly maintenance on a Wednesday from (Iíll take World of ******** maintenance times as the standard) 3.00AM PST till about 11.00AM PST. This would mean that I canít play the entire Wednesday afternoon and a part of the evening (Server maintenance would start at Noon (GMT+1) over here and run till 20.00PM (GMT+1).

The same would be for ingame events:

Letís say there would be an awesome ingame event where Borg invade. If Cryptic uses the PST format, the logical thing would be to use the PSTís peak hours, which are usually around 19.00PM.

That would mean the event would start at 4.00AM (GMT+1) over here, which would be when Iím sleeping!

How is Cryptic planning to work with these time differences?

Thanks in advance,

Aerthalas
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Hmm, seems I posted at a bad time.

My thread got buried under lot's of other posts....
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Shameless bump yet again
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Another bumb
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Most likely they won't be adjusting their time to suit you. Why? Because it's based in the U.S. Just like other games that are based in certain countries, they work around the time zone that suits them best for the employees. I just don't understand why people from other countries (or the U.S. for that matter) cannot understand that concept. I play Eve online, based in Iceland (London servers). I'm not going to complain when they take the game down at a time inconvenient for me because I can deal with time zone issues i.e., I have a life.

I need more coffee.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
They have to play to their base. Their base is the U.S. The BEST time to patch and avoid mass complaints from cutomers is after 3 a.m. PST, and before 10 am PST
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Um, im pretty certain they will be doing events on a day basis rather than a time.

Champions online events seemed to be a 'entire day' thing so nobody missed out.

The end of beta event began at 8pm GMT which gave a good 3-4 hours for most of the EU people to play around before it was dead.

I dont really see much concern as there shouldn't be many 'events' in the initial launch period.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post
They have to play to their base. Their base is the U.S. The BEST time to patch and avoid mass complaints from cutomers is after 3 a.m. PST, and before 10 am PST
It's an internet game, marketed world wide.... internet goes further then just the US. Their base is the world, the US is only a small part of that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerthalas
How is Cryptic planning to work with these time differences?
By publishing the times once they're set, and letting customers make their plans accordingly.

They'll base those times on when their OVERALL USAGE is at its lowest, without regard to what time zone those users are in.

This is guaranteed to inconvenience people in as many time zones as their maintenance window is in hours.

What did you expect them to do, inconvenience more customers overall so as to make one timezone happy?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godbeing
It's an internet game, marketed world wide.... internet goes further then just the US. Their base is the world, the US is only a small part of that.
I agree there, however, MOST subs will probably be from the US area , lot more population.