Lt. Commander
# 11
01-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
They'll base those times on when their OVERALL USAGE is at its lowest, without regard to what time zone those users are in.
So you think we should believe that an American company will perform their events on a fair level to those outside of the US while they dont manage to mention GMT times in their communication and have used PST time in nearly all accouncements thus far ? Now 10 years ago (been playing mmorpgs since 1995) I would not make any point on that cause Europe was not on the mmorpg charts, but today in full fledges European product launches I expect service as a European customer and not having to convert PST time to my time, after all my monthly contribution to the game is exactly the same of US citizens.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post
They have to play to their base. Their base is the U.S. The BEST time to patch and avoid mass complaints from cutomers is after 3 a.m. PST, and before 10 am PST
So by your logic the entire uk/euro continent isnt significant enough to be of a decent player base? LOL!!!
we outnumber the entire US player base.

Do you have any idea how many uk/euro mmo players there are? Also dont overlook aussie players and eastern players- we all seem to fall under the one catagory which is basically saying the world player base versus the american player base- cryptic would be fools to overlook that small issue. I dont mind mind the patch times been pst- but if they ignore event times and keep them pst and offer nothing for their euro/uk/aus counterparts then cryptic is basically shooting themselves in the foot with a massive loss in earnings.

The best option and wisest would be to cater for both hemispheres- keep everyone happy and cryptic/atari's pockets lined with cash- which i assume is thier goal
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godbeing
It's an internet game, marketed world wide.... internet goes further then just the US. Their base is the world, the US is only a small part of that.
It doesn't matter where it's marketed. It's primary base is in the United States. You have to play to your base. A majority of subs are from the U.S. This has nothing to do with some nationality superiority complex. Look up Pirates of the Burning Sea. Updates and such are done on Aussie time, because it's primary player base is from Australia, and it's an Australian company.

I think you are the only one who is the narcissist here.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulch View Post
So you think we should believe that an American company will perform their events on a fair level to those outside of the US while they dont manage to mention GMT times in their communication and have used PST time in nearly all accouncements thus far ? Now 10 years ago (been playing mmorpgs since 1995) I would not make any point on that cause Europe was not on the mmorpg charts, but today in full fledges European product launches I expect service as a European customer and not having to convert PST time to my time, after all my monthly contribution to the game is exactly the same of US citizens.
It's not their job to translate time zones. That has nothing to do with your subscription. They are based in PST so they post in PST. I guess you have never heard of Conan, all of their posts were in norwegian time zones, and you had to figure out what that meant in stateside time yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
It's not their job to translate time zones. That has nothing to do with your subscription. They are based in PST so they post in PST. I guess you have never heard of Conan, all of their posts were in norwegian time zones, and you had to figure out what that meant in stateside time yourself.
they had american servers - unlike this game- and your logic is seriouslly flawed - very bad managerial skills there- if you think that us is aa big enough market you are seriouslly limiting yourself finacially- the uk/euro market in mmo's is far far greater then that of us market.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarella
So by your logic the entire uk/euro continent isnt significant enough to be of a decent player base? LOL!!!
we outnumber the entire US player base.

Do you have any idea how many uk/euro mmo players there are? Also dont overlook aussie players and eastern players- we all seem to fall under the one catagory which is basically saying the world player base versus the american player base- cryptic would be fools to overlook that small issue. I dont mind mind the patch times been pst- but if they ignore event times and keep them pst and offer nothing for their euro/uk/aus counterparts then cryptic is basically shooting themselves in the foot with a massive loss in earnings.

The best option and wisest would be to cater for both hemispheres- keep everyone happy and cryptic/atari's pockets lined with cash- which i assume is thier goal
There is no "LOL!!!shift111!" moment here. You just need to learn how to read and how marketing works. I did not say your base was not important, but simply that there are signifigantly less EU players that US. That, and the fact that the company is BASED in the US is what determines it. Simply put, they will hear more outrage if they cater to EU timezones. Please see my Pirates and Conan examples.

They CAN'T cater to both hemispheres. Get out a calculator and a map. You will see we are on almost opposite time spectrums. Any time that would be good to update for you would be bad for us, and any time good to update for us is bad for you. It eventually won't be everyday, but when it happens in the best interests of the company they need to look after their largest market share...which is the US. That is just the way it is.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarella
they had american servers - unlike this game- and your logic is seriouslly flawed - very bad managerial skills there- if you think that us is aa big enough market you are seriouslly limiting yourself finacially- the uk/euro market in mmo's is far far greater then that of us market.

Except it's not. You don't seem to understand the point here, this has nothing to do with NOT marketing to your region, it simply has to do with deciding on a time for server downtime. Regardless of the potential market size for the EU, it is smaller in almost every case than US subscriber base in mmos, and certainly in this one.

The point you are missing is that the universe does not revolve around you. This is not a national pride decision, it's the needs of the many vs the needs of the few. It is more imporant to protect US primetime than UK early afternoons.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I gotta be honest, I live in the UK, and it's not much of a hardship adding 8 hours to a given time...
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulch View Post
So you think we should believe that an American company will perform their events on a fair level to those outside of the US while they dont manage to mention GMT times in their communication and have used PST time in nearly all accouncements thus far ?
No, I think they will use absolute numbers, with no regard whatsoever to what percentage are from what time zone. They will pick the time when they have the lowest total number of users, period. They will announce that time in PST, yes; because anybody with this game has internet, and anybody with internet can find out what that means in their own time zone in seconds.

Just like they did for Champions Online, and just like everybody else does in the industry.

That time is likely to suck for people in Europe who don't work, as it will likely work out around the same time as they found for CO, which will be noon/early afternoon in GMT. However, it would make no sense whatsoever to make it a time when MORE total people are logged on, just to make one time zone happy at the expense of a greater number of people in another.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
I did not say your base was not important, but simply that there are signifigantly less EU players that US..
You got any hard figures to found that remark or are ya just making this up as we type ??