Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I thought they ran a different server for Europe?
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulch View Post
You got any hard figures to found that remark or are ya just making this up as we type ??
I don't need hard figures. It's simply a fact. They will use the lowest play time figures to patch. Therefore there are more people playing in US afternoons than UK afternoons.

They aren't stupid, they will pick the lowest time. If you would like to rally together and buy a copy for all of the UK and suddenly makes them push the patch time by making that time a new peak, I am sure they won't mind.
Lt. Commander
# 23 more than one shard?
01-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Why not make a Euro shard and a US shard, and any other major timezone, blizzard does this quite well with all the different realms in WoW being for specific timezones.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulch View Post
You got any hard figures to found that remark or are ya just making this up as we type ??
Honestly, it doesn't matter which time zone has more subscribers; it matters what time the SERVER sees the fewest users. If people in one country skew toward a different part of the day, you could very well have more population but fewer users online.

NOTHING matters except server concurrency numbers. If the game was smaller time of day in the offices would matter, but for a customer base this large, NOTHING matters except concurrency.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikfran View Post
Why not make a Euro shard and a US shard, and any other major timezone, blizzard does this quite well with all the different realms in WoW being for specific timezones.
No reason to split the entire community when this will end up only affecting a small amount of users MAYBE once a week for a couple hours.

This isn't going to be everyday once things get rolling.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Dear GOD, somebody call the U.N. and have sanctions imposed upon us because we don't just drop trou and cater to the EU... Please people, get a grip. Maybe if there weren't so many laws, restrictions and taxes on everything overthere you might find more software companies making games that revolve around you and yours. However, they don't so it is what it is.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post
I don't need hard figures. It's simply a fact. They will use the lowest play time figures to patch. Therefore there are more people playing in US afternoons than UK afternoons
They pick the downtimes for US customers by default, period. And they will continue to do so, even should the EU base be bigger. They did not wait to see what kinda player base they got, even during beta, tney communicatie and act on US times cause they are a US company, period.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Ok, for all of you people dealing with time zone issues, here's a URL for you.

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

Put in the maintenance time and date in the appropriate places. Select the time format you want. In the 'From' menu, select 'America/Los Angeles' (That is PST). In the 'To' menu, select your zone. Hit the 'Convert' button, and you're set.

I know it sucks having to have down time. Regardless of when they bring the servers down, someone, somewhere, is going to be impacted. Cryptic is based in California, so they post the times in PST/PDT, because that's the time zone they're in.

It's not that hard to do the math and figure out the time in your part of the world. If it is, use the URL I gave above. If that's too hard, then I don't know what to tell you, other than deal with it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Honestly, it doesn't matter which time zone has more subscribers; it matters what time the SERVER sees the fewest users..
I agree to that, but what Im saying the past four posts is that the downtime determination was not made on actual player base at this point, but more on default custom to do maintenance during the most convience time for US players. They perform their communication in PST time SINCE DAY ONE, even before closed beta, if you aim at servicing all regions you communicate in GMT time, period.

Now before this gets out of hand, Im not complaining nor do I find it a big issue; but I admit having some principal issue with them using American local time, instead of performing business courtesy and communicate in GMT time, a universal time.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
To be honest i don't care if it not happens to much.
But still its good to post stuff like this ,Cryptic wants to know what we think ,bad or good .