Lt. Commander
# 1141
08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Nice layout, however, I see one thing that is going to start to bug me. When I hit F5 to refresh the forum, it goes back to the main page. There is no way to easily refresh. I know that this is normally an issue with all sites with embedded sites. I guess I'll just check the http://redsquadron.guildlaunch.com/f...php?gid=146216 link and hope everything relevent to me shows up there. If there is a work around, let me know, I'm using Firefox 3.6.6.

Also, one thing that I've had on a similar site was a section that would show important global anouncements. So for people like me who end up primarily checking one, if there is a major anouncement on the Community forum, it will show up in all of the fleet/clan/ect forums. Just a idea that might be worth checking into.
Lt. Commander
# 1142
08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Ah, nicce to see my old friends of RS hasn't withered off into dust. I've been busy with so far successfully keeping Omega Fleet alive. Further, Quin, Circle my friends, hope to catch you soon. I will be sending a PM later tonight.
Lt. Commander
# 1143 Good Night
08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Play more STO join a fleet
Lt. Commander
# 1144
08-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turak View Post
Nice layout, however, I see one thing that is going to start to bug me. When I hit F5 to refresh the forum, it goes back to the main page. There is no way to easily refresh. I know that this is normally an issue with all sites with embedded sites.
Thanks.

As for the refresh, this is a limitation of Frames and Framesets on web sites. We're not using just iframes. We're uing multiple frames, framesets, and iframes to achieve this unified site on Guild Launch. If we didn't have to use Guild Launch, we could easily get around this. But since we rely on their forums and account information, we need to use frames to load multiple pages at one time.

And I could easily trap this event on the client-side with Javascript to handle the refresh myself, but Guild Launch uses one domain for the file library and another for the web pages. Since part of our custom portal requires the file library, there's no legitimate way to do XSS (cross-site scripting). There are built-in security measures in browsers, add-ons, and Javascript itself to prevent this. There are ways around it, but visitors would be seeing all sorts of security threat red-flags on their end if we implemented that.

But there is a workaround since you're using Firefox. Inside of the page you want to refresh (inside of the frame used to show each daughter guild site), right-click on choose "This Frame" -> "Reload Frame".

If you want to get fancy, you can even script Firefox to do this automatically when pressing F5 (ie: Greasemonkey) or create a new keybinding for it.

Quote:
I guess I'll just check the http://redsquadron.guildlaunch.com/f...php?gid=146216 link and hope everything relevent to me shows up there. If there is a work around, let me know, I'm using Firefox 3.6.6.
I also use Firefox to do web development/design, so you're getting its best look and feel there. I had to hack things to get it to at least function in IE (grrr, I hate IE).

The switch to the gaming community site layout is just beginning. I still have much planned for the site. This includes, but is not limited to...

1.) Resizable left column
2.) Automatic redirects from daughter guild sites.
3.) All-in-one master forums page to view all forums in one glace to check for new threads/posts.
4.) Javascript to add page backgrounds when a site is not loaded with the community portal (white backgrounds give too much contrast for our sites).
5.) Direct links that go to a specific page on the community portal with a specific menu expanded. This will help for bookmarking specific pages.

Quote:
Also, one thing that I've had on a similar site was a section that would show important global anouncements. So for people like me who end up primarily checking one, if there is a major anouncement on the Community forum, it will show up in all of the fleet/clan/ect forums. Just a idea that might be worth checking into.
Our forums for the community and the very first page you visit at redsquadron.org serve this purpose. Members should be going through redsquadron.org only (hence the stripping of the menu and placing it there) to prevent being isolated.
Lt. Commander
# 1145
08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Bump from the Knights. Congrats on the new site, it looks good.
Lt. Commander
# 1146
08-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Bump from The Shadows.
Lt. Commander
# 1147
08-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the visit, Pogmahone and Be2.

As a note to the community and RS in general, Quin Draco is still here, on our own RS forums and on ventrilo, but he doesn't have access to the STO forums at the moment. Just wanted to let those on this thread know.
Lt. Commander
# 1148
08-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Bump form a tired old V.A. who can no longer hit raming speed and blow up his ship cause of boardom as someone makes it respawn after every attempt as if nothing ever happened. If there were a Hell this is what it would be!
Lt. Commander
# 1149
08-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnDog View Post
Bump form a tired old V.A. who can no longer hit raming speed and blow up his ship cause of boardom as someone makes it respawn after every attempt as if nothing ever happened. If there were a Hell this is what it would be!
*sigh* Cryptic really rolled us on STO. Well, we always have SWTOR to look forward to as well playing it together as a guild!
Lt. Commander
# 1150
04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Talking to cryptic!

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>

Supprisingly after i raised the question of re-reruns of quests and sacking the staff!!!

Pathetic.