Okay, here's my 2 credits, with some replies to others and a few questions of my own. This may end up a bit long, apologies ahead of time for that. This game just excites me so much, and I eally hope it's done right because I plan on quitting all my other MMORPG's once this goes live.
Originally Posted by Kahn773
... Now the Federation is an idealistic society and I agree that they want peace in the quadrant, but even the Federation realizes that not everyone wants peace. Hence Starfleet, which is among several other things the military, otherwise why carry weapons at all. I understand that the game should not be “All out warfare all the time”, but even the most peaceful science vessel can come under attack by the Borg. As a captain you wouldn’t say, “ Oh well guy’s this sucks, but resistance is futile”. Even idealistic societies with the best intensions must defend themselves from those who disagree with those ideals and who would want to conquer them and impose their own values. As a captain of a Starfleet vessel it would be your duty to defend the Federation, your ship, your crew and even third parties such as a Ferengi trader being attacked by Orion pirates. The most ardent explorers don’t seek conflict, but if it is forced on them should they not defend themselves and those with them?
I have to agree here myself. Yes PvP stinks sometimes, but sometimes it's necessary. For instance, I play World of ******** on a RpPvP server. I don't play there because I like PvP, I play there because to me it's a more realistic roleplaying experience. Yes, it stinks that the Horde just killed me, but to have that Horde member merely be able to stand there and make rude gestures at me because I haven't enabled PvP would make the experience seem less real.
Originally Posted by Lance85
I think what alot of peeps are forgetting is that you won't be commanding from the bridge your be in a 3rd person view of the ship when in space so you'll see whats around you or trying to hind near your shuttle bay.
its a good thing that they wanted to stay as far away from the bridge commander viewpoint as possble in my view.
I would actually hope that we have the freedom to choose which we prefer. I myself would prefer to be on the Bridge of my ship, using my sensors and info from the computer to help guide me. Then if I wanted to see outside and operate from another perspective, I could choose External Sensors and be able to have the 3rd person view from outside the ship and be able to pilot from that view as well.
Now having said those things, I have a few questions of my own and some ideas. I haven't been able to see if these have been asked or mentioned yet or not.
1. Will the game interface be LCARS based or perhaps a future version of the operating system?
2. Will this be made to be playable on a decent dial-up connection or will it be broadband only? I myself live in the outskirts of a large city, but broadband access still hasn't made it here quite yet. I can play WoW quite decently, with a bit of lag which is to be expected. I'm not asking to be able to keep up perfectly with everyone else that has broadband, but to at least have a decent playing experience with my little dialup connection.
3. Will the larger starships have interior areas that can be accessed for recreation, such as Ten-Forward and personal quarters and such. If I earned my way up to one of the galaxy class ships, I would really love the option to explore it.
4. For the people that would like to be able to learn the history and information on Starfleet, the iconic characters of the past and the galaxy at large, perhaps it could be searchable through the LCARS database in-game. That way the players who want to know could have a wealth of information available to them, and the ones that don't care to know just don't have to look it up and it won't be force fed to them if they don't desire it.
5. The Captain's Log. One way to implement this would be to have an automatically generated log that's generated as you complete missions and explore new areas, with the option to go back to those entries and add your own notes (Captain's Supplemental, perhaps) that can include how you solved a particular problem or some other tidbit of info that you might want to recall later. I realize that millions of log entries being generated by hundreds of thousands of players could take up server space, so why not have those log files be written to a logfile on each individuals computer and accessible offline as well. Players should also be given the option of deleting old logs if they so choose to save space on their hard drives. Maybe even perhaps an ability to alter their Captain's logs offline with info that will show up in the in-game Log.
I'll quit now before this wall of text crits for over 9000.
This info is getting me even more excited about the game. I hope that the game really does work on trying to make things as scale as possible shuttle craft should be little specs compared to a galaxy class ships. I mean heck. They are designed to hold 2 to what 6 people at at time where a galaxy class can hold over a thousand. Has to be a big big difference in size.
Also, just think how awesome it would be to be in a shuttlecraft heading from a oh my god sized starbase toward your huge galaxy class starship and piloting it around the tip of the saucer section buzzing over the top around the back and then docking in the shuttlebay.
PVP? EVE? GREF? Is there a legend I should be reading to understand these references? I don't play World of ******** so if these are common online gaming acronyms, keep in mind that some of us are new to the whole experience. That being said...
I like the fact that the statement has been made that while some races are not inherently evil that they have different value systems which will impact their interactions. As for two species in combat having a fair battle...I would expect it to come down to skill rather than physicality of weapons type.
It seems like they are going to be making there own ships for this game. if the want to start us off with same ships. Make the Defiant or Delta flyer the starting ship sizes. Next size Interpid, Luna, Galaxy, and a new 25th ship size.
I'm thinking the same thing. With the time frame fro ST:O being what it is, it does give the artists at Cryptic the luxury of not only keeping their favorite ships from TNG, VOY and DS9, but it allows them the latitude to create thier own designs and classes. All in all, looking forward to this game.
I have reservations regarding the answer they gave about combat. They indicated that their favorite Trek was Deep Space Nine during the Dominion War, and the Wrath of Khan."
remember in both the movie, and especially in the Dominion war, diplomacy WAS attempted first.. kirk only got like 1 sentance out, but they tried sending diplomats, if i remember correctly, through the wormhole before the invasion.
those are the times diplomacy failed.. and i read somewhere, maybe in that Q&A that diplomacy and exploration would be a huge part.. but there will always be times where diplomacy fails.