Lt. Commander
# 111
09-07-2008, 12:07 AM
The idea that Pvp / pve is restricted to "zones" just as in wow apalls me. Ships behind fences are not canon, makes for predictable combat, it'll make the game fell like wow with deuterium engines. You have a ship.. you should be able to fly it anywhere.,. sure fly into federation or klingon space.. but if you've not enough ships.. the first space station could kill you and your group for not being careful enough..,.

plesae hear my cry Zone combat is for unimaginative grind games. wow and the 20+ games since to copy "zoning" combat is like pouring water of a gas stove fire. You could just turn the gas off and everyone would be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 112
09-07-2008, 12:09 AM
Thats not to say i wont get buying the game 3 nanoseconds after its released just my ten cents..

2 TRekkies.. 8 opinions

the game WILL be awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 113
09-07-2008, 12:12 AM
i dont think i remember Kirk saying...

"hey can you hit the yes button cos i cant attack you till you confirm, and move into position.. oh hey thanks thats much better.. "
Lt. Commander
# 114
09-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge-stormcrow View Post
The idea that Pvp / pve is restricted to "zones" just as in wow apalls me. Ships behind fences are not canon, makes for predictable combat, it'll make the game fell like wow with deuterium engines. You have a ship.. you should be able to fly it anywhere.,. sure fly into federation or klingon space.. but if you've not enough ships.. the first space station could kill you and your group for not being careful enough..,.

plesae hear my cry Zone combat is for unimaginative grind games. wow and the 20+ games since to copy "zoning" combat is like pouring water of a gas stove fire. You could just turn the gas off and everyone would be happy.
tthare is a buzz word called forced pvp. though i know what you are saying. and i agree. the fact remains that the star trek fan base does (including me) does not wanna have to go and log out becousei wanna go afk for a min or 2. or get ganked when doing some RP with my guild. basicly if you want galaxy wide pvp i my self would just stay flaged for pvp all the time. let those that don't wanna pvp not pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 115
09-07-2008, 12:26 AM
I still say we need a hostile server. It simply makes things easier for those who have problems with either solution. Forced PvP really gets under people's skin because they hate the idea of Star Trek turning into a mindless gank fest all about pwning nubs. Whereas immersion people want to do away with zoned PvP because it's just not realistic. You don't fight wars only in certain zones, like, "Hey, you're not allowed to fight within 50 light years of my colony!"
Now, if you have a hostile server, those going for immersion or those who seriously want to kick some alien (or Federation) butt can go there and have all the free PvP they want. Meanwhile, you have a 'standard' server for those who don't want to be forced into PvP. You still keep it in the Neutral Zone and uncharted space, and if people flag for PvP, but it's not jammed down everyone's throats.
It's the best of both worlds, and makes everyone happy.
IMHO
Lt. Commander
# 116
09-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenblade View Post
I still say we need a hostile server. It simply makes things easier for those who have problems with either solution. Forced PvP really gets under people's skin because they hate the idea of Star Trek turning into a mindless gank fest all about pwning nubs. Whereas immersion people want to do away with zoned PvP because it's just not realistic. You don't fight wars only in certain zones, like, "Hey, you're not allowed to fight within 50 light years of my colony!"
Now, if you have a hostile server, those going for immersion or those who seriously want to kick some alien (or Federation) butt can go there and have all the free PvP they want. Meanwhile, you have a 'standard' server for those who don't want to be forced into PvP. You still keep it in the Neutral Zone and uncharted space, and if people flag for PvP, but it's not jammed down everyone's throats.
It's the best of both worlds, and makes everyone happy.
IMHO
i agree. a hostle server would solve the probblems. you got my vote on that (if i have one lol)
Lt. Commander
# 117
09-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel
We are paying close attention to the fine balance between delivering the true experience of vast space and keeping gameplay fun and engaging.
Quote:
At true scale, they become nearly unperceivable when you are flying a ship the size of a Galaxy class, and that's simply not fun.
Quote:
But wherever possible, we will offer alternative ways for players to solve conflict as long as it's fun.
Sounds like FUN !! :p

Thanks for the info - keep 'em comming.
Lt. Commander
# 118
09-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Great Information, Keep it coming I cant wait!
Lt. Commander
# 119 Heres A Question.....
09-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Are you going to have logs to read about the star trek line. For example what did happen to Admrial Archer? When did he die? Etc etc, that way you dont have to make a long intro or have people wonder where did Captain Picard go? As for Pvp, why not? Its Star Trek, as a captain you assume the risk of your ship every day/time you pull out of space dock. The only time you dont face any sort of threats is if you put your head in the sand and never come out. Hell even huttle pilots face it. And i dont even want to think about supply carriers.
However a gankfest isnt fun for anyone. It even gets old when you wtfpwn everyone you meet. I mean i your ship is damaged and a cube warps in, your not going to be like ha! cant touch me! no your going to die. get used to it. death happens everyday.
Lt. Commander
# 120
09-08-2008, 04:02 AM
deleted post for wrong location