Lt. Commander
# 51
09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the information Cryptic, I do appreciate these updates... I hope you don't mind a few additional questions and comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
There are at least two ways around this that don't involve making the smallest ships larger than they should be. The first method is already being used in the game, the light trails ships use make ships visible at very long distances. When too far away even for that to be useful, I suggest putting brackets around the ship to mark off where they are. A second type of bracket would be used for when you're actually targeting the ship, with various other brackets or text showing hits and damage levels. Or, just give the light trails enough levels of detail that you can clearly see the trails for smaller ships at maximum visual distance.
Agreed. I am also curious to learn more about the challenges faced by the devs. Are scale problems related to some inherent issue with the engine or client performance? I don't need exact scale to immerse me in the canon, but a fighter that is the same size as a Vor'cha will ruin that experience. When I am in space, I want to see my ship and not the crew.

There have been a lot of comparisons to EVE and CoX in this thread, so I thought I'd throw out a couple of requests related to each. Please note that some of the items mentioned below may have been changed/updated/corrected since the last time I played, but I am mentioning them here for the sake of illustrating game mechanics.

I played EVE from the start of beta through a year after release and some of the things that attracted me to the game were the graphics, the single instance environment, the story, and the fleet concepts. Why did I leave? There were several contributing factors, but the primary reason was the realization that the economy in EVE heavily favors pirate/criminal enterprises unless you really enjoy mining. Other reasons included the fact that the guild permissions system was lacking and this undermined the security of several enterprises I participated in. I did appreciate the fact that there were no artificial restrictions on travel between areas (unlike CoX), which added to the realism. Lastly, the universe in EVE was so large that it could take an entire day (or longer) to move from one end of the system to the other - and that was with warp drive. Please don't make ST:O's travel system such that it takes me a full day to catch up to my fleet and friends.

In CoX, I played from beta until about 2 weeks ago when I decided to take a break again. A huge kudos to Cryptic for creating an MMO that has held my attention for so long. I decided to break from CoX because the server I was playing on was mostly deserted, which made teaming very difficult. Given the option, I would really like to see ST:O support some form of single instance universe for all the players to interact in. I also became frustrated by the lack of high-level content (so I will still want motivation after I have all the goodies - I'll be investing myself in the development of this persona). The instanced and highly-repeated door mission formula grew tiresome (repetition kills the fun and there really is a limit to how many times I'm willing to kill skullz). Lastly, the incredible difficulty of obtaining black market items due to insane pricing also made me give up before I really got started (so a functioning and accessible economy is very important to me in ST:O).

Thanks for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
if most communication is done by displaying the character's face on a screen, and showing text with voice, that would be cool.
I agree....even though the voice overs in *** were nice, they became annoying quickly and i eventually just skipped through them.

As far as the log entries go, i would imagine they would be your quest journal with the ability to add notes to it. That is the simplest version of it I can think of.
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance85 View Post
sounds good but i'd like to think that pvp will not be forced upon those that do not wish to pvp unlike eve also if it does come down to pvp i'd like to think it is done farely in the sense of the attack has as much chance of getting their warpdrive kicked by the person they are attacking as the person does by the attacker.

Gref over this post by pro pvpers will be reported thats any and all forms of gref.
When you speak of pvp i find myself curious as to what type of pvp?? being an old old counterstrike refugee, i do not like player kills, yet, as i look at trek or any storyline at all, the one thing that consistently drives a story forward, is conflict, and in the instance we are in, where we assume roles based on races with different values, we will find that there will be conflict. however, does that mean it's going to be violent conflict? not always. i believe as was stated in the las vegas introduction that much of the conflict ( pvp ) will be of the diplomatic kind and resolved either with an agreement, or a compromise...

if we look at other games. like elf quest and project entropia, we also find areas within the game where player kill happens, and areas where it's not allowed. i suggest that, if it is true to life, that situations will always exist where violence is a possibility, and you must be prepared for that. Sadly, humans are much more violent in nature than their machine based software counterparts and alter egos, and the powerless in real life will always attempt to have power in what they perceive as a make believe world with make believe contestants ( who just happen to be very real people on the other end of a network ) and not display any care or concern for what you or i may personally believe think or feel. Therefore i wou;d submit hat it would be expedient to expect pvp, in it's nastiest of forms and be prepared to deal with it on an in game level, rather than relying on the admins ( or the "Crimson Knights" sic) to fight those fights for us...
Natai
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Being my first post after lurking and reading the forums with anticipation for weeks now...

As most would agree, a large part of Star Trek's appeal and popularity is due to it's strong foundation in "realistically" based canon. Obviously it's fiction, but many fans enjoy the attention to detail that shows itself in everything from starship design to screenplay dialogue. I think for this MMO to be even remotely successful, it will have to have a high degree of accuracy compared to what we as fans would consider "realistic", such as relative ship sizes and the vastness of space. Anything less will leave the player feeling something is missing, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who was disappointed to find my shuttle was as large as the Defiant or travel time from one quadrant to the next was mere seconds.

Either way, thank you to the Dev Team for keeping us interested with these regular updates. Each one seems to answer another fear and add to the excitement.
Lt. Commander
I would love to see and hear from some of the big names in Trek lore when I'm playing STO, but I don't see this as a deal breaker. There's a very real-world practicality that the devs have had to contend with to keep the cost of production down so that it doesn't get transferred over to us when the game launches. I'm sure we will get to read a lot about some of our favorite characters though since they have been so pivotal to Star Trek history.

As for the ship scale, the devs mentioned that its not fun to fly in a ship that's too small? I'm not sure I understand this point. Seems to me that zipping a shuttlecraft along the surface of a giant Sovereign class ship would be pretty neat. :-)

And as for log entries, I'm really excited about this possibility. I had assumed that "the Captain's Log" would be nothing more than a simple synonym for your Quest Journal. While I'm sure that it will still serve in that capacity somehow, I think opening up the function to us to actually make log entries is really awesome. Obviously that's an integral part of living Star Trek.

You can be sure figuring out how to implement this won't be an easy task for the developers. I'm sure there are many of us that would like to see free-form log entry capability, but that's probably not very practical. Perhaps as Captain we can be presented with decisions on how to handle a particular situation which would result in different log entries being made based on the path we picked?

Let's speak up on this for the Dev's to hear. They know you want it, they need to know how you want it.

Lt. Commander
# 56 idea?
09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
In regards to the captains logs - one idea off hand is when you enter into a quest that is rare or a quest past over by players, you could be prompted with a screen to make a log at the start of the quest or what you stumbled across to initiate the quest. Hidden quest?!

you complete the quest and you are prompted with a window to make a parting log for the next captain.

so when I stumble across the hidden quest, I can read the 5 to 50,000 logs before me on how they handled the quest...

It would almost be like a forums thread...

I'm not sure if I would skip it or not..but it could be applied somehow like that?

Or is it better to just have personal logs that we keep for ourselves?

I bet that Cryptic will have automatic logs that we can add too, like you completed this quest and met this person or achieved this goal, and you can have an entry to add what you will.
Lt. Commander
# 57
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
pretty good Q and A. Look forward to the next one. I suppose we will get one every week or so?
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Quote:
At true scale, they become nearly unperceivable when you are flying a ship the size of a Galaxy class, and that's simply not fun.
Sounds like a lame excuse for a an alpha 3rd-person space view. Star Trek always used view screens. "Magnify"

Also sounds like a good tactical advantage. I would keep it. Make the shuttlecraft tiny.
Lt. Commander
# 59
09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I love that Cryptic is giving these updates. I am glad that we are getting access to more information. I can see the point the devs have with the scale but bless them for addressing it. I want to dock with stuff! LOL I know I am not the only one I would love to fly a shuttle into a docking bay. Please keep these updates coming! keep up the good work all! (community included)
Lt. Commander
# 60
09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Continue the great work! I've always had great ideas of how a Star Trek online should be built... but I think your hands are more capable than mine! Make me proud! : )