Lt. Commander
# 61
09-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDart View Post
I wouldn't worry about it shaping up too much like EVE, Lance.

Cryptic's previous game(s), City of Heroes/City of Villains, had numerous zones where players of opposing factions could meet. Not all were PvP-enabled.

I imagine that what we'll see here will be similar to that, possibly with a flagging system - if you flag yourself PvP, you can be attacked by opposing players who are also flagged wherever you are; if you are not flagged, you cannot be attacked by opposing players unless you enter one of the PvP-only zones, which will no doubt have big shiny warnings posted so you don't wander in by accident.

Cryptic aren't CCP. They won't create an environment where we may end up forced to engage in styles of gameplay that we never chose to engage in. They're hoopier froods than that, and I like the style of their towels.

I like that idea. The previous MMO I was on had a flagging system, and that worked pretty well. It was a little weird, because you could literally watch zerg crowds of PVP flagger run around you, attacking each other on either side of you, but not hitting you because you weren't flagged. Could be weird and take away from the reality a little bit, but it worked. If you didn't want to PvP, you didn't flag. And you could always avoid the PvP crowds pretty easily if they got annoying. Not to mention there was an entirely hostile server where once you reached lvl 12 or 13 out of 50, you were automatically perma-flagged. So people who were really in it for the PvP could go to a dedicated server for it. Maybe that's too much to ask, but I think it could work pretty well.

But I definitely like the system they have set up right now. Fits in with canon very nicely. Free space and Neutral Zones would logically be the only place that skirmishes could occur without appearing absurd (or starting all out war).
Lt. Commander
# 62
09-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenblade View Post
But I definitely like the system they have set up right now. Fits in with canon very nicely. Free space and Neutral Zones would logically be the only place that skirmishes could occur without appearing absurd (or starting all out war).
Aye, and there have been games that successfully separate pve and pvp before.. **** is one of them, I have played 11 MMOs to date and this one has had the most fun pvp. It is a very good system. It is a pvp focused game for sure, so long as ya dont go onto a pve server, and pvp is restricted to a large frontier zone or smaller battleground zones as you level up.

I like the neural zone setup, perhaps even make a couple of the systems closest to the zone pvp aswell, and players still don't have to enter those systems unless they want to pvp. I think havin some klingons raid a federation station just inside its border, with fed players defending, would be quite fun.
Lt. Commander
# 63
09-05-2008, 01:21 AM
ty for the Q&A most appreciated!
Lt. Commander
# 64
09-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Log Entries:

Great idea, my initial thoughts are they should be personal and related to each bridge crew character (Commander's Log, Engineer's Log, Science Officer's Log, Medical Officer's Log, etc) with an option to upload them to your faction so that all ship commanders have access to a Log Library. People who deliberately falsify logs will quickly become known and ignored - their logs will agther dust on the shelves. This will provide a nice in-game way of sharing quest information, something that usually happens on the forums, and will benefit the majority of playuers who rareyl, if ever, visit MMORPG forums.

Ship scale:

Keep shuttles small. Considering the length of a Galaxy class (about 700 meters) and the length of a shuttle (about 8 meters), I don't see the problem - but then again I'm not a programmer .

Space "size":

Cryptic have mentioned "infinit exploration" and initially I took that to mean they were using an "Elite" style galactic map that would be to all intents and purposes so vast one can never explore it all (using randomly generated systems and content). From this QA I am beginning to wonder if there is not a difference between "infinit exporation" and "vast space"...

Thanks for the update Kes, and I look forward to the next installment of the story arc (2380-81...?)

Lt. Commander
# 65
09-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Awesome
Lt. Commander
# 66
09-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Awesome! Thx for this Q&A, Kestrel!

Log Entries would be really cool! Please keep the Ships scales in original size according to the canon of Star Trek. If I'll have a galaxy-class Ship, I'll have my sensorsystems to see little shuttleships.

Great work! Keep, going! Can't wait the next Q&A!
Lt. Commander
# 67
09-05-2008, 03:23 AM
Nice little read. Couldn't help but think of H2G2 in the "space is big" answer.

As for ship sizes, the diddy little things in the trailer are quite cute!
Lt. Commander
# 68
09-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the answers. I like them mostly, I think. Especially happy with the ship scale answers.
Lt. Commander
# 69 Good Q&A
09-05-2008, 05:09 AM
I was afraid PSI powers would be completely left out and that people would only be pretending to have these abilities. But now that they are including it I can see many other things making it in-game. I'm glad they are going that far in depth (Crossing fingers for Vulcan Neck pinch).

Ship sizes is going to be interesting. I don't want to see a Galaxy sized shuttle flying around, but I wouldn't mind if its slightly larger than normal, just enough to make it visible. I like the targeting brackets and zoom capabilities people have mentioned.

I'm actually excited about the log entries. Hopefully it will be accessible to everyone for viewing a ship/crews history and past experiences; maybe even tie the fleet logo into the background. Having it viewable offline I think is a really nice touch. Feels like Starfleet or Klingon High Command is keeping tabs on their captains.

I like how they are alluding to there's no "Bad guy" faction but how everyone has their own agendas. I'm hoping they continue this past launch instead of reverting to making one guy the villain.

Cut scenes/ Voice overs - We need a little more on this. I have always loved cut scenes (sucker for cinematics on single player games) but if they don't make it in game I won't be too disappointed. I'd like some sort of visual in the end, maybe an Admiral showing up on my ready room display giving me the next mission orders. It makes it feel more like a military briefing that way. Voice overs with text would be helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 70
09-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Just offering my thanks here, both to the devs and to the people who asked some very sound questions!