Lt. Commander
# 71
09-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Kudos to the devs, Kestrel and the players whose questions were answered.

Again, answered some questions yet opened others up. I can't wait for more
Lt. Commander
# 72
09-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westman View Post
Aye, and there have been games that successfully separate pve and pvp before.. **** is one of them, I have played 11 MMOs to date and this one has had the most fun pvp. It is a very good system. It is a pvp focused game for sure, so long as ya dont go onto a pve server, and pvp is restricted to a large frontier zone or smaller battleground zones as you level up.

I like the neural zone setup, perhaps even make a couple of the systems closest to the zone pvp aswell, and players still don't have to enter those systems unless they want to pvp. I think havin some klingons raid a federation station just inside its border, with fed players defending, would be quite fun.
Yeah, I'd be perfectly okay with a few raids over the border. Would be cool and more interesting if you could actually kind of affect the world by maybe taking a little bit of Federation or Klingon space, and not just compete over unclaimed territories.
And Dark Ages of Camelot was going to be one of the MMO's I was gonna hold up, so I definitely agree with you. That had one of the better PvP/PvE systems I've seen. I would not complain at all if they had something set up like that. Though I still think a hostile PvP server would solve people's problems nicely. Those determined to have PvP everywhere can have it, without forcing it on everyone who don't want it all the time.

As for ship scale, I think most people are unanimous. No one wants to be flying the Enterprise D and have a Danube fly by big as their warp nacelle. It kills the immersion factor, and like someone already said, who wouldn't love to be in a shuttle as a capital ship drops out of warp on top of them? It'd be one of those awe inspiring moments that makes you go "I seriously love this game".
Besides, it's almost physical impossible to find a ship in space by the naked eye. They'd literally have to be flying by your window port to spot anything. Space is simply too dark and too big for anything to show up past the background. I think Mass Effect even explained it. Plus, it brings in an element of tactics. If you don't want to be surprised, you actively ping an area with your sensors so nothing sneaks up on you (obviously giving away your position, but it's the whole active sonar vs. passive sonar deal of submarine games.). Or, conversely, lazy players should get snuck up on if they forget to check their sensors. Or maybe you just have someone who's passively scanning as to not alert the enemy of their presence. I don't know. I don't think it should be too hard to implement.
Lt. Commander
# 73
09-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Quote:
But there are a few exceptionally small ships, such as shuttlecrafts, that become problematic. At true scale, they become nearly unperceivable when you are flying a ship the size of a Galaxy class, and that's simply not fun.
Why on earth would they become nearly unperceivable? Won't we have sensors? Does the game camera lack a magnify option? Is it too cumbersome to use?

I don't mean to sound like an absolute stickler for detail, but I really don't like the sound of this. Please reconsider some alternative to keep scale and proportions authentic.
Lt. Commander
# 74
09-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I dont think that small ships would be a problem, after all space is so very very vast, and that what sensors are for,

Plus a good pilto in a small ship (knowing the shield frequencies) would be able to slip inside a shield, beam some stuff away then run like hell!!

Also dont forget the Magnetic disturbances that can help hide a ship !
Lt. Commander
# 75
09-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, good questions and better answers.
Lt. Commander
# 76
09-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badem View Post
I dont think that small ships would be a problem, after all space is so very very vast, and that what sensors are for,

Plus a good pilto in a small ship (knowing the shield frequencies) would be able to slip inside a shield, beam some stuff away then run like hell!!

Also dont forget the Magnetic disturbances that can help hide a ship !
I think what alot of peeps are forgetting is that you won't be commanding from the bridge your be in a 3rd person view of the ship when in space so you'll see whats around you or trying to hind near your shuttle bay.
its a good thing that they wanted to stay as far away from the bridge commander viewpoint as possble in my view.
Lt. Commander
# 77
09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Again, doubtful this will be read, however:

As far as the issue of scaling/ size. I was alarmed at the mention that adjustments would be made. I think it would insane if there were not tiny ships, big ships and massive ships. The only way adjustments would work is if the new ships were just that NEW ships not oversized Defiant class or "slightly enlarged" shuttles or what have you.
Lt. Commander
# 78
09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcommander View Post
Again, doubtful this will be read, however:

As far as the issue of scaling/ size. I was alarmed at the mention that adjustments would be made. I think it would insane if there were not tiny ships, big ships and massive ships. The only way adjustments would work is if the new ships were just that NEW ships not oversized Defiant class or "slightly enlarged" shuttles or what have you.

From what Iíve seen in the game play trailer they seem to be working on a system where even the small ships will appear large when near the camera drone.
Lt. Commander
# 79 ship design
09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't know if this has been answered or not but i am intrested in if we will be able to buld our own ships with in class guidelines like with the old star tek game star ship creator.
Lt. Commander
# 80
09-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBearr View Post
I don't know if this has been answered or not but i am intrested in if we will be able to buld our own ships with in class guidelines like with the old star tek game star ship creator.
Yeah we will, thatís implied by what was said during the main clip when in Vegas, a fleet will be able to build stations, shipyards etc all needing raw materials however