Lt. Commander
# 81
09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerHayden View Post
Oddly enough, I was just thinking about the problem with ship scaling in most MMOs today.
What MMO's? There are TWO with actual space ships. Star Wars Galaxies and Eve Online. Both have ship scaling nailed. Eve handles the very small to incredibly freaking gynormously huge ships just fine. Cryptic would be wise to follow how they handle scaling. I think it works great.
Lt. Commander
# 82 Hmmm...
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry, they released this little 'teaser' entirely too early. This is quickly turning from Star Trek Online to Star Trek Offline...
Lt. Commander
# 83
09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzivkovic View Post
I'm sorry, they released this little 'teaser' entirely too early. This is quickly turning from Star Trek Online to Star Trek Offline...
What do you mean by this, exactly?
Lt. Commander
# 84
09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Hope shuttles arn't too big I'd really like to be able to fly a shuttle in and out of my ships bay without a cutscene.

Logs are a nice touch but will they have only computer added information ie you go to this system and the log automatically reoords it, just information we personally enter, or both.

Also how many logs are there? In the show it seems the captain, the first officer, and the Chief medical officer all have there own logs, and I'm assuming all the other members of the command staff have offical logs to though I can't recall I time we hear them adding to them in the series. Also the ship has a log which I'm assuming is seperate from the captains since in the episode Pegasus when the admiral want to take the Enterprise D into the asteroid, Picard tells Data to note in the ships log he disagrees with this order.
Lt. Commander
# 85
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I have reservations regarding the answer they gave about combat. They indicated that their favorite Trek was Deep Space Nine during the Dominion War, and the Wrath of Khan.

This is troubling to me because it makes me think that STO is going to have a more combat centric nature than a Trek MMO should have. Exploration should be first and foremost in a Trek MMO. Bottom Line. Especially if you are playing as the Federation. Combat should be one of those things that is only encountered when all other options have been exhausted, especially for the PVE portions of the game.

Think about "TOS: Balance of Terror" for just a moment. Think about how conflicted Kirk was when he had to make the choice to fire on the Romulans. He knew that the consequences could be severe, igniting a full scale war along the Neutral Zone.

This is how the gameplay should be in STO. But it seems to me Cryptic wants to capture the look and feel of the Dominion War, right from the beginning. I think that's a mistake. Conflict should be avoided at all costs, until all other measures have failed, and conflict should have a high price. I think overall, Trek fans, after DS9 have become too comfortable with the idea of the Federation being at war. This was not the original Roddenberry vision, and it's certainly not what made Trek great.

It seems to me that Cryptic feels that a war or a conflict is necessary to make an MMO successful. In most cases I would agree, but this (Trek) is the one IP in all the world where having an outright conflict, could end up dooming STO to failure, especially among those fans who want to get back to the true spirit of Trek.

"To Seek out new life, and new Civilizations, To Boldly go where no man has gone before."
Lt. Commander
# 86
09-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I watched the tailer again and there are shuttle craft! Hello little shuttle craft. There are little red streaks behind each ship making them easy to see when moving. I think scaling is a non issue. Just make them the right size, use the UI to point them out. Keep the exhaust trail. Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 87
09-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRedshirt View Post
I have reservations regarding the answer they gave about combat. They indicated that their favorite Trek was Deep Space Nine during the Dominion War, and the Wrath of Khan.

This is troubling to me because it makes me think that STO is going to have a more combat centric nature than a Trek MMO should have. Exploration should be first and foremost in a Trek MMO. Bottom Line. Especially if you are playing as the Federation. Combat should be one of those things that is only encountered when all other options have been exhausted, especially for the PVE portions of the game.

Think about "TOS: Balance of Terror" for just a moment. Think about how conflicted Kirk was when he had to make the choice to fire on the Romulans. He knew that the consequences could be severe, igniting a full scale war along the Neutral Zone.

This is how the gameplay should be in STO. But it seems to me Cryptic wants to capture the look and feel of the Dominion War, right from the beginning. I think that's a mistake. Conflict should be avoided at all costs, until all other measures have failed, and conflict should have a high price. I think overall, Trek fans, after DS9 have become too comfortable with the idea of the Federation being at war. This was not the original Roddenberry vision, and it's certainly not what made Trek great.

It seems to me that Cryptic feels that a war or a conflict is necessary to make an MMO successful. In most cases I would agree, but this (Trek) is the one IP in all the world where having an outright conflict, could end up dooming STO to failure, especially among those fans who want to get back to the true spirit of Trek.

"To Seek out new life, and new Civilizations, To Boldly go where no man has gone before."
While I agree with what you are saying in theory, I have to disagree in practicality. They are going to have to make it so that all paths are relatively similar. How they choose to do this is what will define the success of the game.

You have to realize from their point of view that if they offer 2 alternatives, one that takes less time/effort/credits etc will always be chosen rendering any other options basically useless.

Therefore you are going to have plenty of combat missions to do to progress your character.

Where they can differentiate is how they mix in exploration and whether they can make that engaging and not mindlessly extended travel time for the sake of doing "something other than combat".

And you also have to think about the side distribution. If they make the federation a bunch of p****s 90% of the population will be klingon.

All of this is something we wont be able to feel the full picture on until the game is in late beta or after release.
Lt. Commander
# 88
09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRedshirt View Post

I think we shouldn't be too, too worried about exploration vs. combat, for a couple of reasons.

In the first place, while I emphasize the fact that it is only a promise, and its value depends on Cryptic's commitment and delivery, the fact is that Cryptic has made extensive pledges about the role of exploration in Star Trek: Online. Those pledges are far, far more extensive than anything Perpetual laid down. We'll see if they deliver.

More concretely, we know that combat mechanics and speed will reflect the naval style of combat from earlier iterations of Trek, as compared to Deep Space Nine. Taking the two together, it seems Cryptic has decided to match the political storytelling of Deep Space Nine with the combat style of other iterations of Trek. I would argue that's a fine compromise (honestly, I think it's a vital and appropriate one) that works against making this a combat-centric game.

To the specific example, I'd offer that Balance of Terror is the wrong example. At the time, the Federation and the Romulans existed in a state similar to the Cold War where any shots fired could result in a disastrous war. I don't think that's descriptive of the state of affairs either in Star Trek, by and large, or as has been described to date for Star Trek Online. Not every decision to fire your weapons is as monumental a decision as that, and I don't think STO is the format that calls for making it such.

Without getting into a debate about whether or not exploration "must" be the center of the game, I'll say that you can accomplish both in an arrangement where each decision to fire your weapons is less than monumental. I think if you look at The Original Series or The Next Generation, and particularly Voyager, you'll see that dynamic at play - none of those captains were skittish about going weapons free.
Lt. Commander
# 89
09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Nice blog appreciated

On the log front i would be more than happy, to have a log format that can be filled out by the keyboard. Something akin to a pilots log but with a larger box for the did anything unushal happen I jest. The log feature would be cool if the technical details of the flight were filled in by ships computer such as Co-ordinates, speed planet types encountered etc. More information could be added automatically to the log if you utilise certain scans etc on a given planet, star, even ship etc. To this the player can add details of his adventures thoughts which can if the player decides be made public. Or kept personal. If the data is usefull to his faction he may also decide to send it to HQ, where other players can search it and update it or utilise it. This would be particularly cool for any PVP aspect of the game as oposing players ships can be indentified by scanning and parts of its configuration could be published to his enemy and filed under his ships name or designation. Also this could work for PVE with newly encoutered species etc.

that kind of a log facility would be very good imho

keep them comming
Lt. Commander
# 90
09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
The Log Entry would be greatly appreciated.
So if anyone neglects to say anything let me be the first one to say it..
I could really help me remember what I doing last if some major important stuff comes up in RL.