Lt. Commander
# 1 Forum Issues?
01-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Anyone else having weird issues with peoples posts being displayed in the wrong sequence - for example replies to an OP appearing before an OP, buttons to a new page in a closed thread and so on. Also, the dev tracker seems to break on a regular basis.

Trying to work out if it's something on my end with firefox or a problem beyond my control.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Most of these issues are caused by the fact that we have multiple web servers behind a load balancer. They can be a few seconds out of sync at any given time. Specifically the post order issues are usually because one server has its clock a few seconds off compared to another. Just another day on the intertubes ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Ah cheers, good to know. I am an It fellow myself, not at your level i freely admit. I run (when i'm not ill) a small College network downhere so i can understand the fundamentals of what you're saying well enough. I remember the hassles i had getting Sharepoint services server working behind an educational dmz setup to be externally accessible for staff students As much as this stuff fascinates me, i'm too old to make any pretense at even keeping up anymore i think. Thanks for the reply.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Most of these issues are caused by the fact that we have multiple web servers behind a load balancer. They can be a few seconds out of sync at any given time. Specifically the post order issues are usually because one server has its clock a few seconds off compared to another. Just another day on the intertubes ;-)
I've taken a look at a couple of the examples of this happening, and the underlying records are obviously being stored with an identity key, so even though the timestamps may not order correctly, you could always order by this post id and it should work properly. I've had similar situations with high concurrency in a database where it was possible for two or more records to get created at the same exact time down to the millisecond. We absolutely had to know which record was created first, and since we were using identities as primary keys, we could just order by the id field and it was more reliable than using the date we were storing.

I'm not sure of all of the internals of this forum software, but it would seem silly for the web server to determine the date of the post record anyways, rather than the database, but using that post id as the ordering column should solve the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Quote:
*cough*STOP USING WINDOWS*cough*

What are you guys using for load balancing? CSM?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
*cough*STOP USING WINDOWS*cough*

What are you guys using for load balancing? CSM?
"Server: nginx" Who said anything about Windows? ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Yeah, right. I'm sure we wouldn't have these issues if you used the normal internet instead of directing all your web traffic through a wormhole. Solar flares cause those things to time travel you know :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2010, 05:17 AM
Quote:
I often wonder why people don't use time servers connected with atomic clocks.......I mean aren't they accurate...., like why the heck do you have to reset your car clock....why not build an atomic clock into it.

rotflmao........
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2010, 01:54 PM
My front page for the Fourms look a little 'ugly'. I'm assuiming this is becuase everyone is logging on and doing 'stuff'?