Empire Veteran
# 1 What the Heck is A Spad?
09-29-2013, 11:06 AM
So, recently in an update, a strange and bizarre thing has suddenly cropped up in the character creator and Tailors, but only for male avatars: the elusive spad.

Amazing! I can now change the length, width, and bulk of my spads. The only problem is: I have no idea what a spad is.

I have scrutinized every part of the avatar while moving all the spad sliders in every possible direction; nothing anywhere changes size or shape.

I have googled the word "spad body part" and "spad" and even went to far as to Bing it; there is no reference to what a spad is.

I searched the forums and stumbled across some speculators saying it might be "shoulder pads;" Nope, they don't change size either.

As far as I can tell I am missing my spads. Should I be concerned? Is this a physiological problem? Is this merely sociological deprivation of the latest fad (spad fad)? Why am I not good enough to get your mystical spads, Cryptic?
Commander
# 2
09-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I'd like to know this too. The "spad" sliders don't seem to visibly do anything when I move them, so far as I can tell.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
09-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheroj View Post
So, recently in an update, a strange and bizarre thing has suddenly cropped up in the character creator and Tailors, but only for male avatars: the elusive spad.

Amazing! I can now change the length, width, and bulk of my spads. The only problem is: I have no idea what a spad is.

I have scrutinized every part of the avatar while moving all the spad sliders in every possible direction; nothing anywhere changes size or shape.

I have googled the word "spad body part" and "spad" and even went to far as to Bing it; there is no reference to what a spad is.

I searched the forums and stumbled across some speculators saying it might be "shoulder pads;" Nope, they don't change size either.

As far as I can tell I am missing my spads. Should I be concerned? Is this a physiological problem? Is this merely sociological deprivation of the latest fad (spad fad)? Why am I not good enough to get your mystical spads, Cryptic?
Once your character hits spuberty, you'll get the options to change the size of your spads.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Captain
# 4
09-29-2013, 12:44 PM
A Spad is a French biplane from World War One. American ace Eddie Rickenbacker flew one.
Career Officer
# 5
09-29-2013, 01:07 PM
It also stands for Signal Passed at Danger on the UK Railway network.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
09-29-2013, 03:52 PM
"Dave, you crazy fool. We're all set to save your bacon, there's no need for you to sling your love spads on the barbecue."

I figure "spads" are for when the introduce customisable Tholian BOFFs. Spads are like quads but for sp-iderlike creatures...

Last edited by drowrulesupreme; 09-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Commander
# 7
10-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipclayberg View Post
A Spad is a French biplane from World War One. American ace Eddie Rickenbacker flew one.
Actually is a family of French biplanes from WWI.
Empire Veteran
# 8
10-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Still doesn't answer the overlying question: In STO, what is a Spad and why does it have a slider?
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/Jagged_Phoenix/SignatureJabitha4_zps2cadf7c1.jpg
Rihannsu
# 9
10-23-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm sure it's an abbreviation for shoulder pad.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 10
10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Well when a girl and a boy really love each other the boy shows her his spad.

Answer: I got no clue.
The Emperor

Do not presume to have the capability to understand me for you see, I simply am.