Lt. Commander
# 11
01-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaackWidow View Post
I am an IT director in RL. my thought is be proactive, not reactive.
Sounds like an IT director, proactive is not a word.

Volume is the hardest thing to test. The end of beta event crush was handled acceptably by the system, but we never tested mass log-in, AFAIK. Since that is in common with CO, might have thought is was ok. I think they just found out Star Trek is much bigger than Champions Onlne.
Lt. Commander
# 12 My Dear Little MMO Noob
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Dear BlackWidow,
This sounds like your very first journey into the ether of MMO debuts. You may wish to "Boldly Go...etc." but have found that a lot of the plumbing is still getting installed as you attempt to leave stardock. RELAX! Pop open a frosty something or another, take off that itchy Starfeet shirt and put on a Aloha shirt and kick back for a couple of days and let the bugs get worked out. I just left playing City of Heroes for 5.5 years and it was buggy to start with in 2004 and Cyrptic always got it all together to keep us all fledgling super heroes from having panic attacks. So let the pros get their job done and before you know it you will see it is April and you have a super dooper custom ship kicking the Klingons back to whatever black hole they dared to come from.
Yours most truly from my command chair drinking a lovely margarita,
Captain Logan Mercury, U.S.S. Thor's Hammer
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
cant say I didnt see this coming but this is a pretty bad first impression. first off the Devs didnt think it would get bombed with logins at server birth? didnt think about the borg issue? I cant even delete a char! no access to my $239.00 perk for early access and the server is so unstable. just going on record, this game was a big deal and they should have caught these things.

Isn't it kind of naive for an IT Director to believe anything of this size and complexity launches completely smooth and without problems?

I mean.. I'm just asking...
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waerlogan View Post
Got booted when entering Sol (had same problem in Beta) other than that played played the first 3 hours without a hitch.
man you saying that makes me want to play the game worse lol
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raam View Post
Isn't it kind of naive for an IT Director to believe anything of this size and complexity launches completely smooth and without problems?

i agree its kind of wierd for you to suspect that a game thats supposed to be bigger than world of ******** to be perfect when it first go's online.seriosly
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:

Then you'll know how annoying it is people contacting you about the same issue from multiple angles rather than use the 1 correct forum/point of contact.

Spamming a contact point multiple times regarding the same issue will never get your issue addressed quicker.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raam View Post

Which suggests that the OP actually isn't an IT Director, at least of anything remotely resembling a thing of consequence.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtedExtra
Sounds like an IT director, proactive is not a word.
You're kidding, right?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-29-2010, 02:07 PM
If you're an IT director then you should know what's going on and calm down. If you're really 17 and spent your whole MacDonalds check on this life sub then that makes more sense.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-29-2010, 02:12 PM
You don't build a system for anomalous loads (with the exception of emergency defense systems). Just like freeways aren't all 12 lanes wide to deal with rush hour traffic; but spend the majority of the time empty.

I also doubt it is all that easy to temporarily set up additional leased network hardware and resources to deal with the initial influx and then have that hardware removed after said influx.