Career Officer
# 1 PWE: Are you listening yet?
10-27-2013, 12:32 PM
I ask you not take this at anything else but its face value: A concern, real, sincere customer feedback.

For a year or so now, the STO community has been asking and sometimes pleading with the STO developers to add certain features to the game that would give more immersion and to further accommodate the role players in the game.

One of the biggest things I've seen asked on these forums is a truly unique ship interior. While the thought may have been entertained and then shelved -- someone else was paying attention: BIOWARE.

PWE, you had better be on your guard, because there is a trailer out now in space combat in a rival MMO managed by BIOWARE that takes aim at nearly all of these unresolved requests by YOUR role-playing community. I don't believe in coincidences.

I hope PWE is listening now and paying attention. I also hope I'm wrong, and there has actually been some progress and plans on getting some of these elements to the game that have seemingly gone ignored. If not, this community will likely get a bit smaller in the coming months. This is my concern: Please don't allow the community to wane to a rival MMO.

PWE, you claim the staff and game has been growing and a consistent and steady pace for STO; if this is so, it is time to step up your game and stay a step ahead. The way your role players currently see it, you're now a step behind. What plans do you have, is there a way I can be assured that you are making the accommodations to these role players? As many people see it, accommodations are made regularly to end-game grinding elitists, with little consideration given to those of us that sometimes just like to relax and enjoy what we've earned or have a unique trophy case to show for in going the extra step of experiencing the game and not blasting through it.

Brain, if you find this as trolling or what-not, that is truely not the intent. If you find that this is too controversial to keep in the forums, I ask that if you delete it to at least ensure the message reaches the appropriate people in PWE.
Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.

Last edited by lordlalo; 10-27-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Captain
# 2
10-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Having playtested the SWTOR ship combat, STO has very little to worry about in that regard.

Thanks for the doom post, though. We spent over a year listening to how SWTOR was going to crush STO before it launched. Then SWTOR went FTP within a year with fans bemoaning it to this day.

I like SWTOR. It's a fun little alternative to STO when I'm looking for something different. But I don't fool myself into believe that SWTOR ship combat is the STO-killer. You shouldn't either.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 3
10-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlalo View Post
I ask you not take this at anything else but its face value: A concern.

For a year or so now, the STO community has been asking and sometimes pleading with the STO developers to add certain features to the game that would give more immersion and to further accommodate the role players in the game.
I can see several comment made by devs each days on the forum. They listen. But remember only a very small fraction of player are on the forums (less than 3%).

Quote:
One of the biggest things I've seen asked on these forums is a truly unique ship interior. While the thought may have been entertained and then shelved -- someone else was paying attention: BIOWARE.
That's a joke ? Bioware never listen to anyone. They made patchs when there were dozens pages topic on the forum telling them how bad it was. With heavy maths, parsers... They usually answered they metrics say it is fine. Months later, another patch to undo part of what was done.
Example ? Interupt on commando/BH. They said no for months.

As for what they are doing, so far I only heard about a PVP space map. W00T.
Otherwise, the past year content was just boring daylies. And again more daylies.
I came back for a month. I uninstalled the game later. The game was hyped as a story based MMO, and that was the cool part. Not for mindless daylies and reputation to grind with boring quests over and over.

And BTW, we complained for the Xmas event, an event you had to PAY for it. But maybe they listened, right ?
We complained for the P2win ship part. They said it was a mistake, and it would be removed soon. Almost 1year later, it's still there.

Career Officer
# 4
10-27-2013, 12:47 PM
but it dose show they are trying to get space combat like sto
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Empire Veteran
# 5
10-27-2013, 12:47 PM
SWTOR is in no way a threat to STO. It may have a few fun moments, but frankly? That game is in even worse shape than this one. I wish it wasn't so, but that's just how it is.
Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
Career Officer
# 6
10-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
As for what they are doing, so far I only heard about a PVP space map. W00T.
Otherwise, the past year content was just boring daylies. And again more daylies.
I came back for a month. I uninstalled the game later. The game was hyped as a story based MMO, and that was the cool part. Not for mindless daylies and reputation to grind with boring quests over and over.

And BTW, we complained for the Xmas event, an event you had to PAY for it. But maybe they listened, right ?
We complained for the P2win ship part. They said it was a mistake, and it would be removed soon. Almost 1year later, it's still there.
more daily and mission there then sto done in 3.5 years how many stf are they? ya rep grind so much fun
Quote:
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Career Officer
# 7
10-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporalhavoc View Post
SWTOR is in no way a threat to STO. It may have a few fun moments, but frankly? That game is in even worse shape than this one. I wish it wasn't so, but that's just how it is.
that is only your what is that word? in mine game has put out more content in the year of its f2p that is not lockbox crap that is not rep grind crap that is not starbase grind crap do i need to go on? sto in its time of f2p all of the above
Quote:
Quote:
Captain
# 8
10-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Considering Bioware's track record since being bought out by Electronic Arts, I don't think Cryptic Studios/Perfect World Entertainment has anything to worry about.
Career Officer
# 9
10-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
I can see several comment made by devs each days on the forum. They listen. But remember only a very small fraction of player are on the forums (less than 3%).
As I said, they've entertained some ideas, such as being able to design your bridge in the foundry and then it dies with no other mention made or plans announced.

Quote:
That's a joke ? Bioware never listen to anyone. They made patchs when there were dozens pages topic on the forum telling them how bad it was. With heavy maths, parsers... They usually answered they metrics say it is fine. Months later, another patch to undo part of what was done.
Example ? Interupt on commando/BH. They said no for months.
Obviously that's not the case. One of the biggest outcries from role players has been a ship interior that actually "fits" the ship. Bioware has done just this. Bioware may not be listening to THEIR customers, but that doesn't mean they're not listening to the outcries of the role players here.

Listen, I'm not a SW fan in the least -- it was too science friction (not fiction) to me. I'm also not a heavy role player though I don't mind the occasional role play here and there. This, if you understand what makes a community, doesn't make STO's future look so great -- at least the certainty is diminished slightly. You can trivialize this as "doom and gloom" if you want, but the fact is, if you're not using your money to push STO/PWE in the right direction, you are the problem.

To be perfectly honest, the last thing I would want to see, is the game to become even more dominated and focused to end-game grinding elitist tweakers and even less to role-players. While I'm the first one to parse my new setups, I'll admit sitting there having to reparse every week because there is a new load-out is quite annoying and would spell burnout for me very quickly.

For the record, I really loved Mass Effect (except the ending of ME3). I loved Dragon Age: Origins (I didn't care for the rest). Fact is, when EA leaves Bioware alone they have a massive potential to give Syfy fans exactly what they want. Whether they are listening to them or just think like them, regardless they deliver very well. I can't speak for SW -- I've never played it and likely will not play it on principal that there is no scientific basis in any part of the series (if there was, it was not explained well at all). ME had a way of taking space magic and making it seem as if it was within the realm of reality. This is what Bioware is capable of, and this can be dangerous to this community.
Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.

Last edited by lordlalo; 10-27-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Captain
# 10
10-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
but it dose show they are trying to get space combat like sto
Quote:
more daily and mission there then sto done in 3.5 years how many stf are they? ya rep grind so much fun
Quote:
that is only your what is that word? in mine game has put out more content in the year of its f2p that is not lockbox crap that is not rep grind crap that is not starbase grind crap do i need to go on? sto in its time of f2p all of the above
We get it. You really love SWTOR.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.