Lt. Commander
# 21
01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Avoid Steam. Terrible system, bugged to hell, constant problems with downloads and patches, money grabbing company behind it, and the list goes on. I use it only when absolutely forced to (Empire Total War, the fools), but given the choice I will always buy either a boxed copy or a key direct from the developer.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liko
Like who? i have direct2drive copy and i have no issues.
OTHERS i also have no problems, that not a guarantee that every has a smooth ride
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZenith View Post
Avoid Steam. Terrible system, bugged to hell, constant problems with downloads and patches, money grabbing company behind it, and the list goes on. I use it only when absolutely forced to (Empire Total War, the fools), but given the choice I will always buy either a boxed copy or a key direct from the developer.
Hmmm, I had steam since the start, have many games and no problems at all with it, it has been solid for me over the years and there not exactly a money grabbing company when they could be charging for all the free TF2 content for the past year and more, but anyway..

STO, fair enough it's not working yet, but just run the launcher in the steamapps folder, it works fine just now and no need to re-download, it's just patching the latest one... (Run as administrator to be sure)

... I'll quote this if it doesn't work
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Works fine now, enjoy folks (hoping for minimum lag issues)
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Just in case there are people out there who`s Steam still wont let them play beacuse of wrong versions...

Either bypass Steam altogether..

( Download the client from the STO site and just add your subscription and edition codes )

I do this anyway now. Now I only have to worry about STO messing up, rather than them and Steam.

Or if you want to play it via Steam..

1. Load Steam
2. From the My Games tab, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
4. Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.
5. Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

I just got my reply from Steam yesterday with the answer, even though I submitted the ticket at launch.

I managed to sort mine ( day after launch ) by downloading the client via the STO site and then adding my deluxe edition codes etc via the STO account page.

Regards
Jim