Lt. Commander
# 21
01-30-2010, 04:33 AM
tbh, you can sorta see elements of where crafting might go, so its possible its just not in yet because its bugged or something.

Tbh, I cant say i'm missing crafting, I hated having to spend forever leveling the skill to actually make anything good anyway.

Supply runs were always a pain in the backside if you ask me.
That said, if they do add it back in, I'll do it regardless
Lt. Commander
If they could do a Latinum like trading, where it is a different money, and crafting with minning on asteroids and planets, like Eve, then an economic system where you could buy barges or freighters, that would be cool. You could be Mudd, or a frarengi, maybe even rent a shop in a starbase.

Maybe able to make some small parts for ship upgrades, but the idea of federation and coin does not really mix, so it would not make sense to be able to buy federation ships or major upgrades with crafted tradable income.

They could add it to just craft some things like weapons or parts, and maybe have some economic balancing money sink like player star bases or shops, or planet side houses/bases or something.

Any crafting that does not take awhile to get good at takes away the achievement factor of reaching high levels. But it helps if there is a use for things while you level up while crafting, so disposable shield or weapons like torpedoes or batteries could work as a craft item. Player made kits or rifles and small items like grenades that are higher quality, could all be craft items.

They could also add crafting of things not really used by players, like planet side farms or industry as a craft, then that would create a shipping situation for freighters.

Just an idea.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-30-2010, 04:51 AM
I turned in some samples for an upgraded beam weapon at the store in Memory Alpha in OB. It seemed to double the value of the item but I can't remember how it's performance was improved. The trick to collecting samples was that some star clusters have rarer samples. The ones I always need are blue while the red ones are common in Delta Volanis. I think the different star clusters have different difficulties and will reward you with exploration badges once 3 missions are completed for the exploration captain with the beard.

Recipes are limited to what is available in the store with the first girl you meet there atm I think. Since I enjoy crafting and exploring, it is my hope that as I turn more items in, my reputation in this area will increase and I will gain access to the other NPC's who won't yet talk to me. If I'm wrong, I hope they'll have it by the time I have enough useable samples to exchange.

BTW: Any body who wants to get rid of blues can feel free to send them my way.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
Higher ranked equipment can be purchased from other stations etc. Sol only stocks up to mark 2 IIRC.

up in the room where you buy your ships, they have stations to turn in exploration merrit's - they go all the way up to around MK VII
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-30-2010, 06:13 AM
We are talking about upgraded equipment obtainable(obviously not) with Data Samples at NPCis in Memory Alpha.
Problem is no one knows how it works or does it work at all, to unlock new NPCis and higher Tier stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necto View Post
We are talking about upgraded equipment obtainable(obviously not) with Data Samples at NPCis in Memory Alpha.
Problem is no one knows how it works or does it work at all, to unlock new NPCis and higher Tier stuff.
This is broken and has been throughout the entirety of Open beta.

Let me put this really clearly.

THERE IS NO CRAFTING
THERE ARE NO RECIPES
THE TRADING SYSTEM ONLY WORKS UP TO MEM ALPHA
THERE IS NO KNOWN WAY AT THIS TIME TO USE THE OTHER CRAFTERS AT M.A.

If you want MK 3,4,5+ gear you MUST get it from quest rewards, drops, or player trades.

There has consistently been no word on these issues. I personally am GUESSING the 45 day patch will address it....maybe....
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzdom
they removed them in open beta!!!!! i swear that cryptic said there would be recpies
They didn't remove them, they moved them to other rooms in memory Alpha.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmouseX View Post
up in the room where you buy your ships, they have stations to turn in exploration merrit's - they go all the way up to around MK VII
Ah yeah, I forgot about requisitions.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necto View Post
There are people in Open Beta who have been successful in unlocking the other NPCs.

As far as I've heard, you have to turn in quite a bit of stuff to unlock the higher tier NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Last time i saw something about this, the way to reach t2 npcs is this:

go to ds9, buy 30 medium hypos
get enough mats for 30 large hypos (seen @ romaine)
go craft them
?
profit!

then on to the next, when you require thousands of materials (anomalies), and you can't buy the base common items required, drop only.

Have fun!

(Search around the starfleet academy forum for threads)

Also, easiest way to get high tier stuff is doing pvp, queue while you're out beeing bored in sector space, join a match queue again, and go to your planet. Quick extra everything, and badges to buy gear up to tier lvl X quality. Course will be slow around launch, but should be faster later. Queue for the cap 'n' hold small, fastest of them all afaik.