I am looking for a Fleet to join, so lets start out, About Me:
- Long time MMORPG, Played AOL NWN in 90s, and then played in Beta 2 of UO and have been playing exclusively MMORPG since. UO, AC, LOTRO, and GW are my main games, but have played a couple months of WOW, FFXI, COH, EQ and likely have forgotten many betas and one month and out MMORPG. The only non-MMORPG I have played since UO release is NWN and Spore, enjoyed both.
- Married with Kids, most often play while kids are playing on computer or just playing, or while on beeper coverage. This results in sometimes having to leave the game at inopportune times. While I feel bad when I have to cut out just before (or during) the final battle, I have to go and don't have time or want to explain why.
- Am not much of a Role Player, more of a Gamer type. Rather the fleet not be serious Role-players, nor serious gamers. I play for enjoyment, not fulfillment in any way. Once the game becomes "work" or I have to "earn" something, I am gone. I look at as "Play" and "Win". I do like Star Trek, but I see my self playing a game vs being in Star Trek.
- My preferred play style is "solo with friends". I am more than glad to help out for a couple missions or even a full evening, but dislike static groups with obligations, I have enough of those in real life. I seldom make plans outside the occasional event. I prefer playing impromptu. I am perfectly happy playing solo.
What I am looking for a fleet that:
- is all or mostly older players, that just play to have fun and want to associate with people that are the same. I found that I relate better to other players that also have kids and other obligations that take most their time and are looking at MMORPGs as cheap entertainment. I definitely want the group lead my older players, I really don't mind younger players and even kids joining, as long as they act like adults (i.e. no whining or begging)
- has no requirement for real life info, I keep my online friends and real life friends separate, there is no reason for you to know if I am a burger flipper and the local McD's or if I am a senior executive of a fortune 500 company. For fleet purposes, I am a rising captain of star fleet.
- has Vent Server, I prefer voice chat versus typing. But I am looking for one that keeps the language clean, since often my kid is within hearing distance of computer, and many times I cannot play with headphones on. I am not worried about the occasional swear, but prefer the language to be mostly PG.
- has Web Site, preferably with forums. Although do not expected the forums to be too active, since we are more interested in playing for fun. But something to coordinate weekly or even monthly evens is known and a place to share information. I am willing to add content, but not interested in running it (I already do that for my LOTRO Kinship, even though I am currently on Hiatus from LOTRO)
- is medium to large in members. I would hope its big enough to have a couple people on most of the time with enough to fill out groups in prime time EST (8-11). While I will prefer to group with fleet members, I have no issue joining PUG and having non members join groups.
- Is not big into power leveling and twinking. I prefer to take my time leveling and seeing what there is to see. I prefer to use items I obtained myself and don't give premium items to newbies. I will trade fairly items the do need to items they have of equal value, and more than willing to show new players the ropes, but don't want or give hand outs. Conversely, I enjoy working with a mentor to improve my play, but let me get my own equipment, but I welcome advice on what to look for and getting first choice at loot.
So if your creating, leading or a member of a fleet that seems to fit, drop me a PM or catch me in game as gulliver@redshirtedextra.
I'm 57 years old, and have been actively gaming MMOs since day 1 of Ultima (well, actually Air Warrior), and have leveled at least one to the top in UO, EQ (2), **** (5), WoW (2), TR, PotBS, Conan (2), War, ****, and now here.
It sounds to me like Ancarim Iron Legion is just the fleet for you guys!
I am myself 48 years old, and Ancarim Iron Legion (AIL for short) accomodates your needs!
You are more than welcome to give me a shout in the form of a PM here, for ingame name, so that we can talk further ingame or via PM's here.
You may wish to give our group a look. We are made up of a group of mature gamers, and are a"family style" group, without any specific time requirements.
A large portion of our member base is 30+ (though we do have younger folks, they know how to act maturely). We even have some members whose older children play, so it is definitely a "family affair".
Our primary focus is on fun, and to the member. I could post a point by point comparison, but I firmly believe we hit all of your requirements.
Just a glimpse of some of the things we can offer:
We are extremely well organized, with command structure, ranks, and advancement in place.
Clearly identified means of promotion within the fleet that corresponds with the in game ranking structure.
Fun, family friendly atmosphere.
NO DRAMA! We have a mature, drama free member base, with strong leadership.
Good size fleet, (over 75 on the roster now, and growing).
Global member base (U.S., UK, NZ), so we typically will have someone on at all times.
Seven (7) year history together in various MMO's, and have accomplished much in our previous MMO's
A nice mix of folks who RP. So if you enjoy that, we can offer it as well.
Close knit group of folks who are willing to go the extra mile to help you out, and make you feel at home.
We have vent, and forums.
I suggest heading over to our primary recruting thread and our forums for more information, and see what you think. If you think we are a good fit, then feel free to contact me here, on our forums, or in game.
My in game name is the same as my signature. (Letum Omnis@flakk)
Links to our webpage and primary recruiting thread are in my signature.
(Contain additional information)
Sounds like you guys might just be a great fit for the British Starfleet Corps. Despite the name we have members from all over the world (we now have two second-in-command positions, one to cover the EU side and one for the US side) with plenty of people playing no matter what time you're on. We have over 100 members now and I've never seen it below 20 players since the beginning of the headstart when we got everyone invited back in, and I've been up till 3-4am GMT playing.
I think we match pretty much all of the OP's wants, and although we accept anyone with a mature attitude (our current group range from 15 to over 50 in age) the average age is definitely more early-thirties than anything, and a lot of us have family (including most of the leadership) so we always understand about such things.
If you'd like to know a bit more and see how we fit the criteria described by the OP have a quick look at our recruitment thread. If you want to know anything mroe specific feel free to drop me a PM.
Wherever you all end up I wish you luck in STO and hope to see you out there one day!