Career Officer
# 1 Changable Skills
11-11-2013, 03:46 AM
An idea that went through my head last night, not sure if it's ever been mentioned before (though I'd think it would have at some point); anyway, dual skills. Taking an Engineering character for arguments sake, traditionally you'd set them up in one of two ways, either focus them toward a tank/heal, or a damage/tank.

What I'd like to propose is a skill slot (of sorts), enabling said character to switch between a different play style. Sure, I know people can just create a second character, but why do that when you've got to level them all up again, acquire the ships, acquire the gear? It's stupidly time consuming.

These skills slots could also go through the zen store (much like character slots, ship slots and/or bridge officer slots). You'd obviously start with one slot (as we already do) with the option of buying more (maybe a max of three, I don't know).

Said idea would allow any given character to potentially switch between an Attack-focused skill set, or a Defence-focused skill set, depending on whether said character is flying an assault cruiser or start cruiser (for example).

Sounds like something worth investment?

Last edited by flash525; 11-11-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: title
Commander
# 2
11-11-2013, 04:59 AM
If this is a more complex idea than the function of a Respec token and changing your Boffs and ship gear, please elaborate.

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.
Captain
# 3
11-11-2013, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
If this is a more complex idea than the function of a Respec token and changing your Boffs and ship gear, please elaborate.
For lack of a better term, he wants dual speccing. So long as cryptic charges zen for respecs, it's not going to happen.
Republic Veteran
# 4
11-11-2013, 05:03 AM
This is like a fully alternate skilltree, you can swap into I assume. While conserving the (values of the) original one. Some MMO's come with similar solutions these days. It does remove the need for alternate characters, of course.

---
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
11-11-2013, 05:09 AM
There was a time I would have agreed, but these days, with the way the skill tree is set up in a very general way for all characters, the ability to switch ships with different focus on a whim (sure, you need to invest in at least a second set of gear, but that would be true for a dual spec build, too), and the new stances/auras of the advanced cruiser com arrays you can switch very easily from your main build to an off-build that will still do what you want it to.

The main build will always be the more specialized and more effective build usually, but you can always go for two different equally balanced hybrid builds instead.
Career Officer
# 6
11-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sernonserculion View Post
This is like a fully alternate skilltree, you can swap into I assume. While conserving the (values of the) original one. Some MMO's come with similar solutions these days. It does remove the need for alternate characters, of course.

---
Pretty much as highlighted. It would be the option of having a second (or third) skill tree to switch into depending upon your style of play at any given time. Said player might need to take a more offensive approach when fighting the Borg, and a more defensive approach when fighting Tholian (as an example).

Would be nice for characters to switch their skills without losing their originals.

Last edited by flash525; 11-11-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Lieutenant
# 7 Good
11-11-2013, 05:34 AM
I like this idea. Too many choices on skills it sucks. Other games like ********* and Eve you can train multiple skills at once to become a jack of all trades. Not so in STO... I have ONE character and that's the only character I want and should have to play.
Lieutenant
# 8
11-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Rune scape*
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
11-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Probably not a good idea to mention other rival sites samt but I also do agree that this would be a good idea. I would use it for a PvP/PvE type focus. My Tetryon Build on the PvPer and a more constant damage from AP on the PvE side of it. So yea heres my

+1
Commander
# 10
11-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Cryptic have a similar thing in place in champions online but there they have more skills and builds that are useful than we do here in sto.

Also as someone above said this would lead people to need fewer toons so Cryptic would probably loose money (character slots/dil/rep etc).
Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
Bleed Green and Gold