Starfleet Veteran
# 41
10-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
well that bad or 'evil' part is open to interpretation. for example the romulans in the rse don't see themselves as bad or evil. just because a hakeev lead tal shiar was evil, it didn't mean every one was.

is the federation bad or evil because of franklin drake or slone? section 31 etc. what's to say since the feds are the bad guys to the kdf they don't think of the federation as evil?

it's down to a matter of perspective and in your faction your the good guys and any one else is your bad guys.

if we can't have bad factions any more are we going to add the kdf and everyone else to the federation? it's getting far too carebear if we can't have bad guys any more. can you imagine a star wars game like the old republic with out the sith/imperial empire... wait no surely not they are evil and bad
Sounds so logical. What is evil for some faction is a necessary good for others...I also agree that Cardassians should be the next mini or full faction yet to come...you can always dream
[
Captain
# 42
10-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Starfleet Officers, KDF Officers and Romulan Republic Officers can already fly the Galor the most iconic ship the Cardassians have. If they added Cardassian faction they would have to make you pack up the Galor ships you already have and send it to a Cardassian character for use or the game would make less sense and the Cardassian faction will always be looked at as second rate with their most icon ship usable by everyone.
Captain
# 43
10-23-2013, 07:01 PM
1st: Rifts begin to appear allowing large quanities of MU incursions around the galaxy but the source and cause is believed to be in cardassian space.

2nd: KDF&FED offer to help 'secure' the area in a race because...

3rd: The MU ships are sporting some fancy tech they shouldn't have and everyone else wants. Oh and they killed some important KDF person.
STO's F2P is basically an inferior experience for the masses at no cost being subsidized by a handful of whales seeking whatever it is that motivates them to spend hundreds if not thousands on a game.
Captain
# 44
10-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Here's a drastic take.

The 2nd Dominion War, by whatever background story needs to be done to make it so. The Dominion invades the Alpha Quadrant again, sensing the weakness of the main Alpha Quadrant powers.
- The Federation-Klingon Alliance is shattered, and both have weakened each other.
- The most powerful of the Alpha Quadrant powers, the Federation, has been beset by threats from every conceivable direction.
- The Romulans, the 3rd member of the old alliance from the 1st Dominion War, have lost their homeworld. They are a shattered, fractured, deeply divided people in the midst of a civil war, which the other major powers have seen fit to "divide the spoils" and further the civil war to their own benefit. They are a far, far less threat than the Pre-Hobus incident Romulan Star Empire.
- The Cardassians suffered the most from the 1st Dominion War. Their government has been toppled several times dating back to even before the Dominion War. Their military was used as cannon fodder for Jem'Hadar forces during the war, and suffered even more during the Battle of Cardassia between the alliance and later the Dominion. They are now surviving on the generosity of the Federation. Their military has never recovered from the war. Their standing in the quadrant is a pitiful shadow of what it was before the war. The "True Way" movement has siphoned off forces that the already weak Cardassian military cannot afford. The Cardassians, in effect, are a broken power.

Now is as good time as any for the Dominion to reassert itself in the Alpha Quadrant.

2 playable factions.

A new alliance of the Federation, Klingon Empire, Romulan Republic, and whatever subfactions you want to throw in. Separate "mini-factions" within the alliance, all maintaining their separate identity as different powers, different navies. Starfleet, KDF, RRW, etc. Throw in the Cardassians as a playable mini-faction within the alliance, alongside the Galor, Keldon, Hideki, etc. ships. If there is a new Dominion War, the Cardassians would have a keen interest in not letting them come their way again.

A fleshed out Dominion faction. Quite a bit of models are already in. Playable Jem'Hadar, Vorta, maybe even Changeling? You can add in more species to represent subjugated peoples that the Dominion have conquered and subdued. Make new Dominion warships. The Dominion fielded a powerful military and they needed no toys such as cloaks

The above format I know needs quite a bit of realigning, but it is also utilizing alot of stuff that already exists in the game.

Cryptic's Development Philosophy for the KDF & PVP
Rihannsu
# 45
10-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
A little bit too farfetched for me.
I dunno. The Founders like to use cloned servants, and their choice of clones is determined by what they plan to use them for. So, IF the Founders felt like a Bajoran or Cardassian would be the right race for the job... maybe?
Quote:
I doubt the Son'a would ever become their own faction. I only mentioned them as allies of the Cardassian cause I wouldn't want a Cardassian faction to be just Cardassian. We need a little more variety. Even the current Republic lacks that.
Yeah, Son'a would be good as allies of either the Cardassians or Dominion(maybe both). but yeah, stand alone? no. OOH! that would also give players the option to play as Elora or Tarlac.(the two races the Son'a subjugated for slave labor)
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 46
10-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
was not stated on screen, while the writers might have ment that and a logical reason is gieven. it's semi cannon and not sure. just like the heory of Admiral Hannson being in a Galaxy during Wolf 359.
It's as canon as we're going to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireseeed View Post
The changeling virus was bending the rules, it was outright breaking them. An I think it was in one of the novels but could have been DS9, a section 31 agent hinted that they have wiped out other species that they felt were too much of a threat to the Federation to be allowed to exist.
Admittedly, I had forgot about the Founder Virus. Still, it was the belief of Section 31 that without those drastic measures, the Dominion would have won the war and thus ruled the Federation. They (S31) still have the survival of the Federation in mind.

Also, novels aren't canon. They're wrote (essentially) be Trek writing fans. They can twist and turn anything they like.

Quote:
They just have an evil emporor that really need to be eleminated, hopefully it will happen before we got to war with the Iconians.
I'm not even sure he'd be deemed evil. He just saw Martok as weak and too friendly toward the Federation. He was no doubt doing what he thought best for the Empire.

Quote:
I agree I don't think the Son'a are worthy of being made a fraction.
Faction, not Fraction. Away with the 'r'.

Quote:
If we were to look into the novels for inspirations for new fractions, for Regnancy of the Carnelian Throne, which is describe as an empire equal in size to the federation in both number of planets and species that is part of it could be made and interesting fraction and it give cryptic writers a clean canvas to work with.

Regnancy would be ideal for cryptic as they could release pay for species, clothes, ships in the C-store.
Again, novels aren't considered canon. If we're going with unknown races, I'd rather Cryptic make up their own. That, or just turn the Voth into playable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
Starfleet Officers, KDF Officers and Romulan Republic Officers can already fly the Galor the most iconic ship the Cardassians have. If they added Cardassian faction they would have to make you pack up the Galor ships you already have and send it to a Cardassian character for use or the game would make less sense and the Cardassian faction will always be looked at as second rate with their most icon ship usable by everyone.
Heh, Cryptic really screwed up putting the Galor in a Lock Box, though they've already came forward and admitted their error there.

I'd imagine a Cardassian faction would either get a different Galor (different stats, weapons etc) or they'd skip that particular ship in favor of something else. They obviously can't use the exact same one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
The Founders like to use cloned servants, and their choice of clones is determined by what they plan to use them for. So, IF the Founders felt like a Bajoran or Cardassian would be the right race for the job... maybe?
Maybe not? The Founders have 'perfected' the Jem Hadar and Vorta for their uses. I doubt they'd subjugate themselves to cloning an entirely new species. Surely they'd fix the problems with existing clones first?

Then again, if they 'go cryptic' it makes sense that instead of fixing existing clones (game content) they'd create new clones (a new season).
Rihannsu
# 47
10-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Well, the Vorta and Jem'Hadar work well for the purpose for which they were created. The idea I had was that the founders would identify a need for more diverse servants, and fill that need.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 48
10-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
I say no, if Cryptic couldn't even make the Rommies a full third faction then this has no chance. LOR was a good addition but i beleive a grave error was made in it's design. the choice should not have been fed or kdf it should have been Republic or Star Empire.
yeah, and just postopne relase for 1 year as you have to create whole unique missions for them, starbases and interesing story.
And of couse,put *whineproof* hat on head, from players which cry thay builed thier starbaes to have them build all over again for romies.
and imagine fleet (not so hard) in which 90% of fleet members do exatly 0 to help with fleet projects.
Commander
# 49
10-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post

Heh, Cryptic really screwed up putting the Galor in a Lock Box, though they've already came forward and admitted their error there.

I'd imagine a Cardassian faction would either get a different Galor (different stats, weapons etc) or they'd skip that particular ship in favor of something else. They obviously can't use the exact same one.
well cryptic allways can totaly remove galor from player and replace it stats-vise totaly identical ship, just having different non-cardasian look and name.
So it will open way for cardasian faction.
Career Officer
# 50
10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by czertik123 View Post
and imagine fleet (not so hard) in which 90% of fleet members do exatly 0 to help with fleet projects.
I feel your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czertik123 View Post
well cryptic allways can totaly remove galor from player and replace it stats-vise totaly identical ship, just having different non-cardasian look and name.
So it will open way for cardasian faction.
They could, sure. I can't imagine them doing that though, if they did, then all the people who paid money for that Galor would cry (righly so) that the ship they paid for was taken away from them. Sure, Cryptic could just replace the ship (keep the stats), but then that new ship wouldn't be what people paid for.

The only alternative, if they were to venture down this route, is that they gave all existing Galor owners a free Cardassian Fleet Ship token as compensation, but I can't see that happening either, and not everyone is going to want to play as a Cardassian.