Career Officer
# 61
10-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
I'd have to say no to that one.

It's a bad idea on so many levels and I'll give you two of them:

I played a game where there was a simplified terroritory subgame based on PvP.
It was roughly akin to factional terrority control.
90% of the time, it was controlled by the faction equivalent to KDF, the Starfleet equivalent barely got to do anything.

Also, I'm very much aware that fleets are inequal in size in this game, it would be possible for larger fleets to completely dominate all the smaller ones through strength of numbers.
That I saw as well, the terroritory control game was always controlled by the biggest fleets and for everyone else, challenging that control was impossible, so nobody ever did.

And one more thing to consider, which may or may not apply to STO.
Champions Online has PvP queues and they're dead, just because players stopped going to them.
Well, why do you dislike everything that is team-based so much?

I've completed the storyline, I've completed the Omega-, New Romulus- and Nukara-Grind and I've beaten No Win Scenario... On 3 characters. What - except for PvP - is left in the game now?

Well, the new Season will bring some new PvE-Content, some new gear and so on.
First one half of the so called Community complains: "Give us instant access to all veteran rewards, for going lifetime.", then the other half of the same Community complains: "I've earned 1000 Day membership, I want a special reward.".
Stop complaining, if it is enough for you, you could have the "Captains Table" for the real veterans, I don't want access to another dead social zone...
Rihannsu
# 62
10-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe2000 View Post
Some part of me keeps thinking REDACTED is the Omega Particle....

But then again, it also sounds like a faction of some sort like the Iconians.... Maybe I keep thinking Omega because I recently watched that episode.
Small bit of inside info I gleaned from playing on Tribble, more than one thing is [redacted].
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 63
10-23-2013, 10:38 AM
I think this will be pretty REDACTED. :p

Nah, really, looks pretty cool.
Career Officer
# 64
10-23-2013, 11:08 AM
The Dyson Sphere Battlezone is one of the worst maps I seen in STO for a long time. The design of the buildings is appalling, the textures are so simple it's a joke. The park, lets say it no Risa, in fact more like a waste ground. The city, well all I could think of was Mygeeto, I was waiting for Ki-Adi-Mundi to appear any second. The dinosaurs are just stupid, what's the target audience then, five and under? The Battlezone is basically one of those Foundry EC grind mission with a slight twist. It was so boring, you don't need any skill at all. If this is what we have to look forward to in Season 8 we've got real problems. Battle zone, should be call Grindzone.

Cryptic with all the staff you have now you should have come up with something better than this.
Captain
# 65
10-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
I'd have to say no to that one.

It's a bad idea on so many levels and I'll give you two of them:

I played a game where there was a simplified terroritory subgame based on PvP.
It was roughly akin to factional terrority control.
90% of the time, it was controlled by the faction equivalent to KDF, the Starfleet equivalent barely got to do anything.
So, what you're saying, is that the faction with the fewest options and worst equipment dominated? The faction that has had every single unique feature improved and rebranded and given to their opponents was dominant?
The faction that started smaller, and is consistently kept smaller through a combination of neglect and power-creep was dominant in this game?

Seriously?

Quote:
Also, I'm very much aware that fleets are inequal in size in this game, it would be possible for larger fleets to completely dominate all the smaller ones through strength of numbers.
That I saw as well, the terroritory control game was always controlled by the biggest fleets and for everyone else, challenging that control was impossible, so nobody ever did.

And one more thing to consider, which may or may not apply to STO.
Champions Online has PvP queues and they're dead, just because players stopped going to them.
Cryptic's got desperate issues with comprehending how to build a multifaction MMO with a strong PvP component. It shows in how they prioritize assets, the xerox mission-text, and power creep issues. They haven't mastered "Different yet equal" even in PvE, which is why if you roll a red-side toon, you find out that you've got a handfull of mission content that is actually faction-appropriate (the tutorial, the Fek'Lhr invasion storyline, and one mission past that.) with everything else basically being a half-assed rescripting of the same missions you levelled on as a fed, sometimes even with the same precise text. (and for grinds, isn't it funny that the audio on "Starbase Incursion" is exactly the same as it is for the feds...one marvels that Federation sabotuers would be worried about being caught by Starfleet security-on a Klingon base!)

Whether you're talking about ship types, console powers, or weapons, if it started KDF, it'll be released to Starfleet (in an improved form!) sooner or later.

It happened with Carriers, it's happened with consoles, and it's now happened with Battlecruisers. Going back to your original complaint about that other game-if their KDF equivalent is dominating, well....that's like having the weakest faction, the one who's a beta-test for the 'hero' faction's next gear drop, winning in PvP, now isn't it?
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Look into Vanilla PvP if you're tired of the endless pursuit of grind, utterly unbalanced selections of geardo-inspired traits, and generally unbalanced and careless 'development' made mostly to turn this game into a second job.
Career Officer
# 66
10-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe2000 View Post
Some part of me keeps thinking REDACTED is the Omega Particle....
Aren't Starfleet Captains required by the Omega Directive to destroy all Omega particles they come across?
We even see a hint of that in one of the Devonian Featured Episodes:

Captain: Scan for Omega particles.
BOFF: Captain, what are Omega particles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten1009 View Post
Well, why do you dislike everything that is team-based so much?

I've completed the storyline, I've completed the Omega-, New Romulus- and Nukara-Grind and I've beaten No Win Scenario... On 3 characters. What - except for PvP - is left in the game now?
It's not so much the idea of team play I resist as the idea of having to play with players who may or may not be socially acceptible.
And then we have the side issue of their skills being incapable for the task at hand on top of that.
And it's an inescapable fact that PvP is a magnet for the most socially obnoxious players, which is why I avoid it.
Plus, I depise any form of gameplay that is a single task performed over and over again (as I mentioned earlier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
So, what you're saying, is that the faction with the fewest options and worst equipment dominated?
I compared that faction to KDF because they were analogous in terms of theme, they were the aggressors in the conflict, using immoral methods and attacking their enemies just because they wanted to.
They actually had the advantage in PvP because the Developers had made the decision they must dominate anyway, despite being the "evil faction".
In no way whatsover were they as underprepared as KDF!
Captain
# 67
10-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorantomalak View Post
At first i was against this ...but now not so much this season is starting to look like its going to be a lot of fun.

Once you stop thinking STO as trek the game becomes fun
Once you start thinking that STO Star Trek with a block-buster sized, sky's the limit, budget in what they can do.... If the TV series or the Movies has virtually unlimited budgets they would have done a lot more esoteric things like they do in games and animation.
Survivor of Romulus
# 68
10-23-2013, 10:15 PM
This is gonna be AMAZEBALLS!