Lt. Commander
# 31
01-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacti4-6 View Post
storm unfortunatly it appears its too late. all of us steam users dont have any client side stuff left. steam deleted it all thus why we have to redownload
i hope your wrong, as ive already blowen my dl limit for this month...if this is the case i want to know why the hell they did it and want some sort of refund. Its going to cost me as much as the game in extra dl usage
Lt. Commander
Hi Guys,

As far as im aware there is not much you can do unless you have a recent restore point. Even using the steam backup it failed.

However, if you have a STO steam backup it is possible to get the game to work without downloading the full 10GB again. I think you need windows 7 or vista however.

Firstly, stop the steam client from opening on windows startup. Then close the steam client

Seconly open explorer and navigate to the program files\steam folder

Right click on the steamapps folder and click on properties

Click on the previous version tab

Restore the folder with a previuos version that you know worked to your desktop (or wherever)

Then replace the steamapps folder from the data that you have just retrieved from a restore point.

Then run the Star Trek Online.exe file and you will be on your way.

I hope this helps some people, I was not just going to sit back and let steam download another 10GB.

All i had to download was the 59mb update
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Remind me to backup files in the future.

Man I'm peeved.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Windows may have a recent copy stored in a restore point. Windows automatically creates a restore point periodically
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleeb
Windows may have a recent copy stored in a restore point. Windows automatically creates a restore point periodically
Only if you have it set to.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilarcek
Steam works perfectly. I downloaded the beta client from steam when OB started. Didn't have to re-download anything, steam patched up today with the little 59mb patch and works fine.
Steam appears to be downloading the whole damned client for me...4% now @ 2.0MB/sec...so its gotta be a lot bigger then 59MB
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
My question is will Steam require me to download the 10GB again on the 2/2 Launch day so that I get my retail key, because currently the game is still listed as the Beta. If so that means I will have download 20GB for no reason.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I was looking forward to this headstart and when I downloaded the 59meg patch yesterday I was pleasantly surprised. Between downloading the OB client a couple of times due to errors with Steam etc and what not I was very close to my download limit for the month (which ends on the 10th for some reason. So now my client wants to patch 10GB? W T F??????????????

this is just plain ridiculous and Steam aren't saying squat about it when I email them.

Get your shiznit together I realise its a launch and stuff happens but this is getting stupid
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
1% at 253kb/s

i hate waking up to things like this...
Lt. Commander
# 40 sigh
01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
another fail mmo launch, i suppose there shouldnt be any surprise.

now that im capped and wont be able to play headstart not to mention being unable to play most of my 30 days "free" time i guess i have no choice but to cancel the pre-order. My question is - who stuffed up? Cryptic or STEAM?