Lt. Commander
# 81
01-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung View Post
This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!
I followed those steps and I have to download the 10gb again. I checked it was a good date too and everything... Perhaps I did something else wrong?
Lt. Commander
# 82
01-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
I followed those steps and I have to download the 10gb again. I checked it was a good date too and everything... Perhaps I did something else wrong?
Yeah, quit running STO through steam. Just launch STO directly, it does not require steam to run.
Lt. Commander
# 83
01-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theanomaly View Post
Alright, it's done. I'm replacing the files with the others, now.

Should I have deleted the newer STO folder, and then dragged the other in its place?

I decided to merge the two and replace with the files from ShadowExplorer..

I hope my lack of competence with computers didn't serve me poorly.
Your decision was correct :]
Lt. Commander
# 84
01-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theanomaly View Post
OMG. It's working.

Marry me?

Seriously, though, thank you for everything.

I'll be Jaa'rok@TheAnomaly in game, drop me a line and maybe I can pay you back someday.
You're welcome :]
Lt. Commander
# 85
01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
Did you close steam while you did all that like I said to?
And did you merge the folders and replace any files if it asked you to?
Lt. Commander
# 86
01-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, I found a beta downloader and am re-re-patching again without Steam. Seems to be working fine.

Never again, Steam. Never again......
Lt. Commander
# 87
01-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
We're looking into this folks, please be patient.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Patient? HELLO! Please be competent and test your **** before release.

I'll be patient by issuing a lifetime charge back. 15 hour download across 25 Mbit/s FIOS? Yea, right. No one's that patient.

I usually download games and patches on Steam at 2-3 MByte (yes that's 16-24 mbit/sec). It's by far the best game CDN on the planet, yet your game is downloading at 20-30 KByte/sec. Pathetic. And after I already downloaded the beta.

Nice testing. At least with the **** release I didn't have to re-download anything.
Lt. Commander
# 88
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
steam has NEVER had a big digital release without TONS of problems, those that got empire total war know what im talking about.

They wont requisition more bandwith for huge releases, it is not tested just implemented on their existing software, so expect a steam patch to fix any issues, and as for bandwith, they will not do anything, it isn't worth the investment to please a few people complaining for 1 or 2 days.

It has always been like this with steam, unless its a valve product, then its flawless :p

All in all though, steam is pretty awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 89
01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
What kills me about this is the 10 GB DL corrupted my steam client and all internal files. So, now I have to re install steam and ALL 45 games...

This, after playing an hour before steam decided to screw their customers over...
Lt. Commander
# 90
01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Yep ive done everything that has been suggested using the shadow thingy. If I run it through steam it starts downloading some patch (it doesnt say how big). If I do it through the desktop shortcut I made (direct client link) it just starts the 10GB dl again...