Lt. Commander
ok i have a 250kb/sec conection right it tock me 2 days via stream client to download. i finaly got it ready cos i missed beta and tryed to log into it today and it wiped it and says im downloading 10 gb agien. now can you tell me this i payed the addid cost for the headstart to play the game not to redownload the hole game agien now it fills like ive been sceawed over have to wait 2 days witch is 2 days of my headstart over im not very happy about this im not blameing the game at all as people say it is great what im blameing is the person who sceawed up for the client to wipe my game and make me redownload it tecnicly this is agienst the law to do such a thing as who ever did it wiped data from my computer with out consent witch violates the data proection act and i wouldent say "oh hay yeh wipe the game that i payed for that tock 2 days to download" so i want someone to appologys for this or can you direct me to the person who made the mess up.

downloaded from stream client with preorder that cost 39.99 GBP
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
If you bought it via steam, you might want to read this:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...t=88597&page=6
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
its not what happend i wanna know, i know what happend someone on cryptic or stream messed up and im haveing to pay for somthing that someone sceawed up on. i want to find out who is at fault so i can direct it to them and not get anyone who is not at fault to wrongly accuse them
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 03:54 PM
90% sure its steam that messed up, since everyone with non steam copies is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
ok then i shale report this message to stream directly via email and tell them the same thing
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 04:29 PM
We have alerted Valve's engineering team, and they are looking into it. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do, since the re-download is from Steam not our launcher or something.
Lt. Commander
In my humble opinion I believe the fault is both Cryptics and Steam/Valve. This is clearly a lack of communication between both companies. Cryptic should have been working with Steam/Valve to ensure this didnt happen. Valve should have made sure the download/install was compatible with patching process. Ultimately this will hurt Steam and Cryptic and all the STO fans suffering through these problems.

Call it lack of faith, but at the rate things are going. I'm not certain I will even get a working version for the Feb 2nd launch and even then I won't be sure that next time there is a patch I will not have to spend another 24 hours downloading patches and entire new clients till it works. The atari download is completely screwed up you dont get an email to download it from there so I'm in the process of cancelling that order. Steam has been a disaster.

At any rate so far I have.

Downloaded a completely unneeded re-install of beta from Steam (10gig)
Downloaded a complete re-patch from cryptic of the client (7-10gig)
Neither work
and i'm halfway through a 2nd steam complete install (10gig)
and I'm trying to download the client directly from STO to avoid any contamination from Steam.
I am now praying that when I finally get the STO version installed and patched (probably another 7-10gig)
that somehow running this program doesnt somehow link to steam in anyway and I can input the CD key from steam without any problems.

Regardless of the outcome this is the last thing I ever buy from Steam. What happens over the next few days determines if I continue with STO or cancel my account subscription. This would very much a pity considering I really like the game. All I really want is to be able to play a really fun game.

I am sure I reflect the sentiments of everyone suffering when I say this. Just please get it sorted!!!!! Please post a proper status update in the Devs section so we know whats going on. Communication is important!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh and I want to know who did a fly by on my tower "I want some butts and I want them now!"
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 03:43 AM
I dunno guys, i've lost a whole lot of confidence in Steam after seeing the last two games I've played that run through there have serious issues. One game was kicking all steam players because it was giving a false positive flag for hack detection. Then there was modern warfare 2, which steam is in charge of cheats on as well.. and everybody knows theres no cheaters on MW2

Just chuckin my 2 pennies in there, not a big steam fan.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 06:06 AM
I personally, have lost faith in Steam.. Like coderanger said.. It isn't really their fault. The patcher works when you aren't using steam, so clearly, the issue with with Steam. It certainly isn't the first time something stupid like this has happened on their part.

In general, I haven't been extraordinarily impressed with the way Steam handles files. They have good games, good deals, and are a nice hub for all the mainstay games, but... You would think that hosting so many different games, they'd figure out patching by now. -eyeroll-

You can sure as heck bet I'm removing all my steam links to the STO files.