Lt. Commander
# 1 10GB Update FIX! (UPDATED)
01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
TO FIX THIS DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK

Ok this is the fix...

Basically what Steam has done is move the game from one folder to another and Cryptic (in there infinite wisdom has set a registry key to verify the install location. So what happens is the game looks for where the game use to be and its no longer their so it re-download the whole game again.)

Basically this will work if you move the folder to any directory so basically you are just making sure the registry key is pointed to the right directory so when it does the "Update" it doesnt re-download the whole game... This applys for any other type of install of the game also Via D2D, Steam, and Retail Disc.

THIS IF YOU WANT TO MOVE THE STAR TREK GAME FOLDER

If you do not do this Star Trek Online will reinstall to the same place you just moved the game from.

First Cut the game (CTRL + X) and paste it where you want it. (Say you want to move it from Steams folder to Programs folder)

Second go to REGEDIT (Go to Start Run in XP or in VISTA and Win7 its just the search bar in Start then type in regedit)

Navigate to - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online

In side you will see a String called "InstallLocation" you need to edit this to the new directory you copyed STO to (Ex. Change from C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\ to C:\Program Files\Star Trek Online\ )

Thats it close out Regedit and lunch the updater if it doesnt update 10GBs you are ok ^_^

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK YOU CAN HURT YOUR COMPUTER BADLY BY SCREWING AROUND IN REGEDIT!!!!

------------------------------------------------------

Alt method if the game is already FULLY deleted!!!

This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go

Thx to Dammerung for the fix ^_^

--------------------------------------------------------

And one last method of fixing...

Another possible fix is, once you move the active install folder to another location, grab our small installer here: http://files.startrekonline.com/inst...line_setup.exe and when it asks you to choose the installation directory, just paste in the path of the new location you chose. That'll point the launcher there and you can then launch the game from the desktop shortcut to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 04:29 PM
there's no install location string in my registry.. vista64
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Can't try this right now, but consider this a friendly bump so people can see it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Maybe I should try this before trying to launch again. I was going to let it finish then use my shortcut from c/program files/valve/steam/steamapps/common/sto/live.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Doesn't work. When I tried to launch STO before I knew of this problem I saw the huge update. Steam apparently DELETED my whole STO folder in preparation for this bugged update so now I need to download it again anyways...
Lt. Commander
# 6
Doesn't work.. I did that exactly and I know it changed the install location, because it started downloading the 10gigs all over again... I changed it back to the steam location and it resumed downloading minus the 3.3 gigs I already downloaded before trying this... I am using an account tied to the key I got when I bought the game from steam, so it could be just steam accounts that this won't work for... I dunno... I will try again to just to make sure I had the location properly worded, and it didn't try to install to a new location because of some string error...
Lt. Commander
# 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCuco View Post
there's no install location string in my registry.. vista64
Sorry I searched for this in Win7 64bit

Try hitting F3 and searching for "InstallLocation" and just make sure it has Star Trek Online in the string before editing ^_^

Another guy posted for winXP 64 its located here "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft \ Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 9910"
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm no expert (but I'm advanced) and I suspect that the registry entry is made and overwritten by STEAM since STEAM downloads and basically does the setup of the game, does it not?
The Registry entry is probably so that the game's own patcher, which doesn't operate in STEAM, can function.

Of course, this is all based on my past experience with STEAM and MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Can I just make a new folder on desktop once the DL is complete. Then if it wants to DL the 10Gb again, I can just copy paste back to avoid it. make a back up I guess is what i'm saying.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
I'm no expert (but I'm advanced) and I suspect that the registry entry is made and overwritten by STEAM since STEAM downloads and basically does the setup of the game, does it not?
The Registry entry is probably so that the game's own patcher, which doesn't operate in STEAM, can function.

Of course, this is all based on my past experience with STEAM and MMOs.
Registry entries are created by the applications dependant on them, in this case Star Trek Online.

Steam, as much as you hate it, will only create registry entries for Steam.
Closed Thread