Lt. Commander
# 11
01-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCuco View Post
there's no install location string in my registry.. vista64
You're doing it wrong. I'm using Vista 64 and the install location is the same as the win7 path.. I found it there. I wish it worked however...
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
Registry entries are created by the applications dependant on them, in this case Star Trek Online.

Steam, as much as you hate it, will only create registry entries for Steam.
Why?
Any application can create any registry entry it wants. I know, I wrote a program that did that.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
I'm no expert (but I'm advanced) and I suspect that the registry entry is made and overwritten by STEAM since STEAM downloads and basically does the setup of the game, does it not?
The Registry entry is probably so that the game's own patcher, which doesn't operate in STEAM, can function.

Of course, this is all based on my past experience with STEAM and MMOs.
No Steam doesnt do any of the game install and setup... You dont even need steam turn on.

The reg key is generated by Star Trek Online thats it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Why?
Any application can create any registry entry it wants. I know, I wrote a program that did that.
Why would Steam write a registry entry for Star Trek Online? Steam downloads the game in an "as-installed" state and then on first launch any DirectX packages or additional setup is run by the game.

It's a pretty simple concept to grasp.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok im sure my files have been deleted as my hard drive got 10 gigs of space back
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
No expert here either - just thought it would be a case of "fire up, update", hopefully. Thanks for the fix Drakan, not going to try it as i can't risk any failure on my PC, just wait till my download finishes, is bugged and I give up on Steam, Cryptic and most likely MMO's in their entirety.

I am however a business expert and can safely say that Crytic is handling this terribly - when you make a mistake you own up, apologise and offer compensation in some viable form WHILST you fix the issue. Today's head-start was going to be my respite between a death in the family yesterday and flying off for a funeral tomorrow. Shame on you Cryptic AND Steam, customers are people.
Lt. Commander
# 17
I worked! I changed the install location, however the Start Menu Folder was wrong, thats why its started a new 10 gig download... I fixed that, and now its downloading 800+ megs!! Could it be??? LOL I hope so.... 800 megs is better than 5+gigs !
Lt. Commander
# 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Metal View Post
No Steam doesnt do any of the game install and setup... You dont even need steam turn on.

The reg key is generated by Star Trek Online thats it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
Why would Steam write a registry entry for Star Trek Online? Steam downloads the game in an "as-installed" state and then on first launch any DirectX packages or additional setup is run by the game.

It's a pretty simple concept to grasp.
Aahhhh, ok.
I thought STEAM installed the game itself, acting as a glorified MSI.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukevano View Post
Thanks for the fix Drakan, not going to try it as i can't risk any failure on my PC
If you don't want to dabble in the registry, you can download the client via a torrent from here.

Quote:
Aahhhh, ok.
Nah Steam is even more simple than that.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Aahhhh, ok.
Exactly ^_^

Steam basicly just handles the Billing. The only real games Steam controls is Valve games on the Valve Cloud. But sense STO is a 3rd Party game all it does is download the game in what ever form the publisher wanted. I actually helped with a game called Metal Drift and I know alot about the behind the scenes of Steam.
Closed Thread